Prospect Info: Round 5, Pick 128: David Kase, RW, Chomutov Pirati (Czech League)

RANKKA

Give Glaude the world
Apr 11, 2017
EU
to you who knows the kid, are we getting him in the phantoms next season?

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Last interview I found with him mentioning the NHL is from November 2017, specifically Nov 10. Piluj střelbu, slyšel útočník David Kaše od skautů Philadelphie - iDNES.cz

Definitely sounds focused on playing in the NHL in the future. Some excerpts:

"I play about 16 minutes a game, good TOI in my opinion. I play a lot, I am regularly registering points, I think this was a good step for me. Especially because I will learn to live on my own and learn English as much as I can."

"There is not much to do in Mora, I spend a lot of time with guys from North America. The practices are over at about 1pm, later I get some sleep or lunch. Obviously I spend some time in the gym too. (great, Couts will be happy to hear that) We travel a lot in Sweden, usually even leaving town a day before an away game. Not much time as I said."

Thanks to playing abroad, Kaše is practicing English a lot - which might help him fullfill his dream: to play in the NHL. "I feel like my English got better, the guys from North America are helping me a lot, correcting me when I make a mistake."

"Just last week (i.e. beginning of November), the Flyers scouts have come over to see me. We didn't talk about what's going to happen in the future, we mainly discussed what I should improve in my play, how I feel after moving abroad. What should I work on? Definitely shooting, drive more into shooting positions is what I've heard from the scouts."

The rest is about him going home to see family, being in Sweden without his girlfriend, comparing Mora and his Extraliga team's town, Chomutov, how does he feel about his brother Ondřej doing well in Anaheim.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Wait, did the Flyer scouts (notice the plural!) say he should work on shooting more and driving into shooting positions?

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Wait, did the Flyer scouts (notice the plural!) say he should work on shooting more and driving into shooting positions?

Kase claimed scouts, yes plural, whoever that was, told him to work on his finishing abilities and to have more drive into shooting positions two months ago, yes. I wish there was a newer interview with him because he seems to be doing very well after what he called "I cooled down a little bit" at the time of the interview

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Picked up an assist today in a 2-1 win.

5g, 10a, 15p now in 32gp.

May not seem amazing or anything... but he is on a really bad team, and is only 1 point off the team lead, while missing 8 games.

I said before the season that 20+ points would be fantastic. He is looking likely to get that... and is pacing for 24 points over 52 games (had he not missed time.)

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
So much Sami Kapanen in Kase. I really hope he comes overseas and plays with the Phantoms next season.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Not got the same gamebreaking speed and is not as naturally good defensively...

but I know what you mean, play a similar 'electric' style of hard forechecking, all over the ice, gritty hockey.

Size and style of play-wise.

He's definitely not as fast, as good defensively, or have the offensive presence Kapanen did in his prime.

But his relentlessness on the forecheck and grittiness despite his size bears an uncanny resemblance to Kapanen, IMO. Especially late-career Kapanen.

Reactions: Appleyard

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Helped guide his side to an extremely important victory over Karlskrona in a relegation battle.

1g, 1a, +2, 3 SOG in 14:48 TOI in a 3-1 win.

He was simply fantastic every shift.

Now leads the team in points (18pts in 34gp) despite missing 8 games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Audible Velvet

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
Helped guide his side to an extremely important victory over Karlskrona in a relegation battle.

1g, 1a, +2, 3 SOG in 14:48 TOI in a 3-1 win.

He was simply fantastic every shift.

Now leads the team in points (18pts in 34gp) despite missing 8 games.

Any chance he crosses the pond next year of the following year and if he does what is his ceiling and floor. Can he be as good as Weal or not likely?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Any chance he crosses the pond next year of the following year and if he does what is his ceiling and floor. Can he be as good as Weal or not likely?

I think if the Flyers want him to he will be in LHV tomorrow... in virtually every interview he does he talks about North America. Heck, in Mora he said he is basically hanging around with all the North American guys most and trying to make his English as good as possible.

I think he can, at very best, be a low end 2nd liner... but more likely if he hits he will be a good 3rd line winger.

I mean, this is a kid who 100% had top 60 'talent' in his draft year, just look at what he did at the WHC-17 and WJC-18, he was insane. He has great hands, reads the game well, and plays like his pants are on fire. So hard to not root for him. He is a 'top 6 talent, bottom six heart' player to coin an unbelievably stereotypical phrase. But he plays every shift like it is his last.

Reactions: Curufinwe

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
\ He is a 'top 6 talent, bottom six heart' player to coin an unbelievably stereotypical phrase. But he plays every shift like it is his last.

I think you mean "bottom six talent, top six heart."
If he can approach Raffl with hands, he'll be a solid 3rd line forward.

Reactions: Appleyard

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I worry that he'll get overlooked with all the forward prospects the Flyers have yet to sign.

Philadelphia Flyers - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

2018/6/1 - Salinitri, Twarynski
2019/6/1 - Kase, Strome, Sushko
2019/8/15 - Marody, Warren
2020/8/15 - Allison, Lacynski

I hope not. I think his play this season 'should' get him a contract. He could not be doing much more. He is 5th in SHL scoring for guys his age or younger... on a team that do not score.

Reactions: Chuck Downie

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
Did not see it but a massive game from him yesterday.

2g, 1a, 3p (though one of the goals was the SO winner... which they count in SHL.)

Mora IK - Färjestad BK

Highlights well worth watching. His goal was a snipe, he set up another with a quick shot, he sets up a couple of other good chances, and his SO winner was an absolute beauty.

Hopefully he comes to LHV next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad