Date of birth: 1996-August 17
Hometown: Victoria, B.C.
Ht:6’1″ Wt: 180 lbs
Shoots: Right
Position: Defenseman
NHL Draft Eligibility: 2014 1st year eligible

Twitter:@KetchupWithMayo

THW The Next Ones Rankings : 50th
Mayo is a smooth skater with balance and power who can skate the puck up ice or find a streaking teammate with a quick accurate passing play. Has a good sense of when to make a play and when to hold the puck. Willing to play physical and keeps good gaps. (November 2013)

Mayo a solid defender who keeps the play in front of him and is tough to beat one-on-on with a good stick and a quick poke check to knock pucks away from attackers. He is willing to play physical prefering to throw old-school hip checks when he gets the opportunity. He could stand to get stronger in order to win more battles on the boards and do a better job of clearing the front of the net.
Dysin Mayo’s style is reminiscent of former NHL defenceman with the New Jersey Devils and Detroit Red Wings Brian Rafalski. This is a style comparison only though, and not a talent comparison. His ceiling is to be a good two-way second pairing defender with the ability to play some powerplay time on the second unit.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/06/09/2014-nhl-draft-profile-61-dysin-mayo/

“Long term project on defense who has the wheels, but has yet to understand when to use them. Very raw in his own end, and runs around too much. Must learn when to activate into offense. Needs work on his outlets in transition. It is his earnest compete level and confidence he can make plays out of the ordinary that may lead to teams moving off him developmental. Might just grow his game into a strong and patient one. ” – Bill Placzek, Draft Site

Last edited:

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
*Great* pick in the 5th round that refreshes our blueline prospect pool a bit. Had Mayo targeted with our late 2nd/early 3rd and he drops all the way to the 5th? Wow.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Amazing value pick here guys. He was my 9th ranked player from the WHL's Eastern Conference and ended up being like the 15th or so guy taken in that group. You got a gem here.

#9 - Dysin Mayo - Edmonton Oil Kings - D - R - 6'1 - 180

Mayo is a smooth and effective two-way defenceman from the Oil Kings. I use the word smooth, because that's the way he operates. He's got a nice stride, strong, powerful and efficient. He is not afraid to join the rush or start it with a good breakout pass. His offensive skills are solid but could use more improvement, which will come with increased ice time in junior the next two years. In his own zone, he's got a very good stick, solid body positioning with good footwork and is extremely underrated at lowering the boom with a sneaky hip check. He doesn't panic with the puck and doesn't get intimidated by an aggressive forecheck. He's a guy that helps set the tone of a game and isn't afraid to change the temperature of the game with his actions on the ice. He had a very good playoff run with the Oil Kings, capped off with an absolutely fantastic performance at the Memorial Cup, which Edmonton captured. I would definitely wager a bet that several NHL teams have him ranked as a 1st rounder in 2014. While I won't go that far, I will say that he's one of my favorite prospects of the draft and a guy who should be a no-brainer to be off the board by the time the 2nd round is complete.

NHL Style Comparison: Right-handed TJ Brodie

Top End NHL Potential: #3 defenceman who is a cornerstone for a consistent contender

Pick Prediction: 25-45 overall

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.ca/

ginomini

May 25, 2014
You guys add are really good draf!!! How the **** this gu was still up in 5th !!!! For me he has the talent to be a early second rounder or even a late first reach!!!! Would of loved to see mtl draft him in 5th but they took a no name from bchl going to universty of Alaska......omg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad