Next Round Add:
Low - 2

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Voted Pepster again.

I have a feeling the next three managers will be some that have spent their careers at the best teams and have had great success. I am going with Pep, becuase I think he probably innovated the most between his competition here.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I guess Mourinho´s personality is getting in the way.

He might not be the "obvious" best manager any longer, but he is yet again showing how ridiculously effective he is. So what speaks against him (other than his media personality)? He has the trophy cabinet and he has brought Utd back from the dead.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
His success over the last 6 years maybe? One title with the most expensive team of all time and one title with Chelsea in a year where EPL teams weren't at their best.
Not a single CL final, even with Real (who weirdly enough won 3 out of 4 when he left).

What does he have on Guardiola?

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
He isn´t flawless of course, but no-one are.

What have Simeone "done" the last years? I love Simeone, but hard to evaluate before he builds another AM or moves and replicates the success there.

Guardiola dominated Germany, but these days most would with BM. His City is certainly not significantly better than Mourinho´s Utd. To me it looks like Mourinho now is closer to something at Utd than Guardiola at City. The team Mourinho took over was certainly much worse than what Guardiola took over (not only the players, but the whole club).

I think there are stronger arguments for rating Guardiola over Mourinho than Simeone. Arguably also Conte and Ancelotti. I can see why some say Conte has done more the later years - he has. But if you want to go with recent success why not give it to ZZ? What Mourinho did for 8 years with Porto, Chelsea and Inter has not been matched by any of the managers already picked (and you could include Guardiola to that).

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
I think there are stronger arguments for rating Guardiola over Mourinho than Simeone. Arguably also Conte and Ancelotti. I can see why some say Conte has done more the later years - he has. But if you want to go with recent success why not give it to ZZ? What Mourinho did for 8 years with Porto, Chelsea and Inter has not been matched by any of the managers already picked (and you could include Guardiola to that).

If the "no one else has done it" game is the one you're gonna play, then Ancelotti over Mourinho is obvious.

And you go with Conte over ZZ because critical thinking and observation can show you that some success is more directly tied to the manager than others?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Simeone has 2 CL finals more than Mourinho with inferior teams in last 6 years. Heck, he has as many Liga titles as Mou with a vastly inferior team and much less money to spend.

Pep's City is still noticably better than Mou's. See their table finish last year, which was also his first in the EPL.

What Mourinho did with Porto (Inter was vastly luck as well, I'm much more impressed by his year at Porto) is indeed not matched. By anyone. Except very closely by Klopp, Deschamps, Simeone, and others who brought a team nobody expected in the final. Of course, they still lost (in ET for Simeone BTW) in the final.
But Mou's main achievement in his career is nearly matched by several managers, including some you wouldn't even rate in the top 10.
OTOH, no manager failed that much with that much money (see Mou's at Real). None. Ever.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I agree that Mourinho didn´t get the best out of RM. Even if I think most would struggle to match Barcelona that last season.

And Mourinho actually won the CL with a team smaller than AM and Inter (I don´t know where to put Inter in terms of size compared to AM - historically bigger, but at the time they won the CL hardly a modern super power - which shown since he left).

Simeone has created something at AM that is admirable. No doubt. If he can get AM back to the top (or close to it) power to him. If he can do it somewhere else even better. Simeone might be a better manager than Mourinho, but I fail to see how he has shown that yet.

If the question had been best manager last year or couple of years. I would say ZZ. Of course he has a extremely solid group of players, but as history shows even those teams don´t win it all (certainly not in the CL). If the last 20 years I just don´t see how it can´t be Mourinho. The last 10 then Guardiola has a strong case (he would be my pick). If you draw the line "randomly" the last 6-7 years I agree Mourinho isn´t that impressive, but why would you only consider those years?

As for Utd vs. City I don´t think it is much doubt Mourinho had more to fix. Utd as a club was lost after Moyes and van Gaal. Let´s see the next couple of years.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
6 years is random indeed, but it just includes his Real years.
Who wouldn't reach a CL final with that Real team? Not Ancelotti. Not even ZZ's weak tactics.
His "performance" last year was incredible either, despite, as usual, spending like crazy.

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
It's always worth a reminder that Inter had already won three consecutive titles before Mourinho showed up, so it's disingenuous to suggest that he moulded that team Brian Clough-style and dragged them to a UCL.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
What are you talking about? To say I'm disingenuous is rather disingenuous.

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
What are you talking about? To say I'm disingenuous is rather disingenuous.

I wasn't referring to you, that's my bad; I see how my post could be taken that way, apologies.

Mourinho's Inter treble, while undoubtedly impressive, very often gets placed on the same pedestal as the Porto UCL win, suggesting that Inter were a kind-of out of nowhere underdog when they had spent a half-decade dominating Serie A.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Brendan Rodgers. Undefeated in scottish comps. Best liverpool manager since Dalglish part 1. Had swansea looking like barca.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I think it's safe to take off Wenger until at least as early as 15th place.

Sorry, but last season proved that Allegri is better than Pep when he clearly didn't have Barca's talent and depth to get himself out of jams and inconsistencies. I would still gladly take him at Arsenal (Pep), but Allegri is the better manager and should win this IMHO.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
I don't think Guardiola will lose this one. Most of the presumptive votes are in already. 19 voters whereas the last two had 27 and 25. You could probably move on to the next poll if you wanted.

I think it's safe to take off Wenger until at least as early as 15th place.

Sorry, but last season proved that Allegri is better than Pep when he clearly didn't have Barca's talent and depth to get himself out of jams and inconsistencies. I would still gladly take him at Arsenal (Pep), but Allegri is the better manager and should win this IMHO.

Juve's squad last season was also way ahead of City's squad last season

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Juve's squad last season was also way ahead of City's squad last season
That is true, but I suggest that Allegri would have done more with City's squad last year than Pep did in the same situation.

He did wonders with a "D-" or "F+" AC Milan squad due to ownership problems. El Shaarawy, Ménez, and Balotelli all as your main offencive weapons, Wenger would've been relegated with that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad