Prospect Info: Round 4, Pick #112: Jack St. Ivany, RHD, Sioux Falls (USHL) --> Yale

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
St. Ivany is a young re-entry as a July birthday. He's another big, heavy d-man, like Ginning, but righty. He had a really strong year in the USHL.

I saw him once at the WJAC; I watched him but didn't like glue myself to him, if you know what I mean. His feet are heavy. It's a problem. His puck moving is not. For a big, heavy dude, he can move a puck fast and smart and has a bit of offense to him. But his feet need major improvement. I would've liked him more a round or two later, but this isn't the pick people necessarily think it is because it's so off the board and looks like another Ginning. There are more interesting players like Stastney and Zhuravlyov to me with more upside and high end skating, but I'm sure the size+RH factored in with this pick. Don't hate it.

Last edited:

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Courtesy of Hockey Prospect:

Ranked him #189.

The Manhattan Beach, CA native just finished his 2nd season in the USHL and is a Re- Entry prospect for the 2018 NHL Draft after going unselected last year. St. Ivany saw a significant uptick in his offensive production from a year ago where he only registered 10 points in 52 games. This season St. Ivany registered 6 goals and 30 assists in 54 Regular Season games for Sioux Falls. (5th among USHL defenseman).

St. Ivany has good frame at close to 6’3”, however he still has a ways to go strength wise as he lacks lower body strength and explosiveness in his footwork. Defensively St. Ivany uses his reach and active stick to take away time from his opponent and does a good job challenging plays at his own blue line and closing players off to the outside against the rush. Jack needs to add more grit and physicality and make things harder on opponents in front of his own net and in puck battles as he has been susceptive to losing battles. St. Ivany distributes the puck well on break outs and is able to stretch the ice using his vision and passing ability. He possesses good puck skills and is able to carry the puck up ice and through traffic when the situation calls for it. St. Ivany can run the Power Play at the point efficiently. While St. Ivany doesn’t possess explosive footwork he has above average agility and east-west movement and is active on the offensive blue line in trying to open up lanes and will come down from the point, both with and without the puck and try to chip in on the offense. Much of St. Ivany’ s upside is contingent on him adding bulk to his frame and gaining lower body strength which he will have time to do going to college route. St. Ivany is expected to attend Yale in the fall.

“Has a high hockey IQ and plays an athletic game, needs to get stronger and improve his footwork before he is a pro prospect” HP Scout, Dusten Braaksma

“Big strong kid with good hockey sense.” NHL Scout, March 2018

“Good size but not a physical player. I like his puck skills…he’s a good puck mover. His feet are his biggest weakness.” - NHL Scout, March 2018

“Smart player but the skating needs to get better.” NHL Scout, April 2018

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Do wonder why the team is grabbing average skating defenders. I guess they believe they can train them.

Reactions: TheKingPin

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I like the pick from the sound of it. Can't teach size/frame or hockey sense, but you can teach skating at least to a degree.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Former Sioux Falls Stampede defenseman Jack St. Ivany and prospect forward Riley Hughes became the 40th and 41st Stampede players selected by an NHL club when they heard their names called during the 2018 NHL Draft Saturday in Dallas, Texas.

Jack St. Ivany was selected in the fourth round (112th overall) by the Philadelphia Flyers. The Manhattan Beach, Calif., native was an offensive force for the Herd this past season, tallying 39 points (7g, 32a) in 57 regular season and playoff games. St. Ivany skated in the 2017 & 2018 USHL/NHL Top Prospects game and earned a silver medal for Team USA at the 2017 World Junior A Challenge. The defenseman was named to the All-USHL Third team this past season and will attend Yale University this fall.

“We’re very excited for Jack to be selected,” said head coach and general manager Scott Owens. “He had an outstanding season with us and it’s great to see all his hard work and play be rewarded.”

St. Ivany And Hughes Selected At NHL Draft

-------------------------------------------------

Defensively St. Ivany uses his reach and active stick to take away time from his opponent and does a good job challenging plays at his own blue line and closing players off to the outside against the rush. Jack needs to add more grit and physicality and make things harder on opponents in front of his own net and in puck battles as he has been susceptive to losing battles. St. Ivany distributes the puck well on break outs and is able to stretch the ice using his vision and passing ability. He possesses good puck skills and is able to carry the puck up ice and through traffic when the situation calls for it. St. Ivany can run the Power Play at the point efficiently.

NHL Draft 2018: Philadelphia Flyers select Jack St. Ivany with 112th overall pick
----------------------------------------

Jack St. Ivany, a member of the Los Angeles Jr. Kings’ Pacific District-champion 16U AAA Major team last season, has committed to attend and play his NCAA Division I hockey at Yale University following his junior career.

St. Ivany, a 1999-born defenseman, connected for three goals for 13 points in 31 Tier I Elite League games in 2015-16.

“I’m very excited,” said St. Ivany. “I spent a lot of time the past few seasons checking out different schools, and I just felt that Yale was the best fit for me. My family and I have always valued education, so that played a big factor into what school I was eventually going to choose.”

This season, St. Ivany will play for the Sioux Falls Stampede – the team that selected the Manhattan Beach native in Phase II of this year’s United States Hockey League Draft (fifth round, 73rd overall).

“This is a well-deserved opportunity for Jack, and I couldn’t be happier for him and his family,” said Jr. Kings 16U AAA head coach Jack Bowkus. “On top of being an exemplary student, he’s dedicated himself to improving all facets of his game and I have no doubt he’ll stay the course as he continues to prepare for what should be a promising career at Yale.”

“The Jr. Kings have helped a lot with my development, and playing in the Tier I Elite League helped expose me to so many D-I coaches,” St. Ivany added.

An Ivy League school, Yale competes in the Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference (ECAC). Last season, the Keith Allain-coached Bulldogs forged a 19-9-4 overall record (14-5-3 in ECAC play) and qualified for the NCAA Tournament.

Jr. Kings' St. Ivany commits to Yale University

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

I re-watched the 1 game online for St. Ivan Provorov (above). I had him on my list and noticed him the first time around, but just to really focus only on him. It's a good sample for the few eager beavers who might watch. #6 RD on USA.

Adding to what I said earlier, his puck skills and stick handling and passing are sneaky good for a player of his size and skating ability. You'll see him stickhandle around a few guys through the NZ, he's got soft hands, fires passes. He has some skill. His skating stride is heavy; there's no two ways about it. It's not good. But his footwork/pivots/edges are actually pretty decent. And he plays aggressive defense: with the pinches, gaps, 1 on 1s. He's indeed very smart, so his lack of skating and aggressiveness is a tough balance, but generally he pulls it off. Offensively at the point, his skating leaves him only firing shots or cycling but hey. I didn't know he'd go this early, but he's a good project. I know what the Flyers see, even if bad skating d-men are more precarious than forwards.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I said this last year when they took Kalynuk (who was 1+ year older), the best players in the USHL tend to be the best players in College Hockey, and the best players in College Hockey are the ones that get NHL contracts.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

I re-watched the 1 game online for St. Ivan Provorov (above). I had him on my list and noticed him the first time around, but just to really focus only on him. It's a good sample for the few eager beavers who might watch. #6 RD on USA.

Adding to what I said earlier, his puck skills and stick handling and passing are sneaky good for a player of his size and skating ability. You'll see him stickhandle around a few guys through the NZ, he's got soft hands, fires passes. He has some skill. His skating stride is heavy; there's no two ways about it. It's not good. But his footwork/pivots/edges are actually pretty decent. And he plays aggressive defense: with the pinches, gaps, 1 on 1s. He's indeed very smart, so his lack of skating and aggressiveness is a tough balance, but generally he pulls it off. Offensively at the point, his skating leaves him only firing shots or cycling but hey. I didn't know he'd go this early, but he's a good project. I know what the Flyers see, even if bad skating d-men are more precarious than forwards.

Would it be dumb to think of him as a defensive Strome?

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Do wonder why the team is grabbing average skating defenders. I guess they believe they can train them.

many of the late picks in previous drafts that are really good NHL players fell because of their skating. He has time to work on it. there is a reason why these kids get picked late. they are flawed prospects. pretty much all of them.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's easier to fall in love with flashy offensive defensemen playing against inferior competition, problem is if they're not exceptionally talented, when the competition gets tougher, what do they fall back on - there's no "growth coach" that can make you 2" and 20 lbs bigger if you don't have Ghost like skills.

So in that sense, guys with size and skill who are below average skaters are just as much "upside" picks because you can improve skating for some (but not all) players - I presume their skating coach looks at prospects and tells them who can be fixed.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
I said this last year when they took Kalynuk (who was 1+ year older), the best players in the USHL tend to be the best players in College Hockey, and the best players in College Hockey are the ones that get NHL contracts.
Kalynuk was draft plus 2 not one

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002

Check out the sequence 29:00-31:00. St. Ivany makes a nice deflectable shot on goal. During a break, Romanuk says he and his partner have been studs in the tourney. Button describes him as having a head for the game, and not likely to miss being drafted. Then he makes a nice pinch and defends well, then makes a couple nice passes to clear the zone. Feet look a bit awkward but we'll see as he gets his coordination if that improves. Big kid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad