Prospect Info: Round 4, Pick 104: Mikhail Vorobyov, C, Tolpar Ufa (MHL --> KHL)

Coffe

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2010
Stockholm
But will he play? I would rather him be playing lots of minutes in the CHL than 8 minutes a night in the KHL. Unless of course he plans on not coming over for 4-5 years.

Well he was drafted by Salavat Yulaev Ufa which has a VHL affiliate that I suppose he could get loaned to if he needs more ice time.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Speaking about CHL possibilities, I googled a little bit and found an interview with Vorobyov (link in Russian), where he states that he thought about coming to CHL, but decided to stay in Russia.

And yes, also mentions that he thinks that optimal age for crossing the pond is 20-22.

Last edited:

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
Really excited for Vorobyov.

Besides Cousins and Dove-McFalls we are thin on C prospects and both probaby won't be anything better than third liners. Konecny can play center too but I'd much rather have him on the right wing.

Would love to see the kid become a future 2nd line center for the Flyers. I believe, it's late round gems like Kruger, Filppula or Grabovski which define a succesful and continual rebuild.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Really excited for Vorobyov.

Besides Cousins and Dove-McFalls we are thin on C prospects and both probaby won't be anything better than third liners. Konecny can play center too but I'd much rather have him on the right wing.

Would love to see the kid become a future 2nd line center for the Flyers. I believe, it's late round gems like Kruger, Filppula or Grabovski which define a succesful and continual rebuild.

What happens to Couturier or Laughton?

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
What happens to Couturier or Laughton?

Huh? Just because he may exceed expectations it doesn't mean Vorobyov's in and someone else is out.

Let Hexy and co decide what could happen in 2-3 years. I want Coots to succeed just as much as all of you but there is still the possibility he never evolves his offensive game further.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Apple or Caser, any highlights from his 2 goal 1 assit game from this past weekend?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
He was also +2 and was at 45% on the dot.

Stat-line for season is now: 14gp, 4g, 12a, 16p, +6.

He is 4th in the MHL in points, 2nd in assists.

Vorobyov is now joint-leader in points for MHL players aged 18 and younger

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Need to get this kid to North America. Can be play in the CHL next year?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
He has been quoted as saying that while he wants to come over to North America, and his ultimate goal is to be an NHLer and actually considered coming over this past summer, after discussing it with a lot of people he trusts he thinks his development will probably be better served staying in Russia until ~20, get a year or two of KHL under his belt and coming over around then.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Actually, I don't think Hextall minds if his European players spend a couple years there and his college players stay in college - he likes extra draft picks, and at some point he faces roster constraints if players come over or come out of school - by stashing guys he can collect more "lottery tickets" and just add the ones with the most upside to his 50 contract limit.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don't mind that he stays in Russia, but I'm unsure of the track record of the MHL.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I don't mind that he stays in Russia, but I'm unsure of the track record of the MHL.

It is tough as the league and the format are so young really. It it made more difficult as a lot of players who have played there move to the CHL post draft, and most 1st and 2nd rounders make the jump to the KHL in their post draft year either straight away or after ~10 MHL games to start the season.

So there is very little to go off at this point in time.

The only Russian forwards in the NHL who played a decent amount in the MHL at Vorobyov's age are:

Panarin: 1.16 PPG
Kucherov: 1.87 PPG

Vorobyov should be in the KHL next season though I imagine. He may even get a few games this season...

Coffe

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2010
Stockholm
Didn't see anything about it here but Vorobyov got his first taste of the KHL on the 22th against Dinamo Riga. Played 10:17 and went 5/9 on the dot. Salavat play Jokerit today and I haven't seen anywhere that he has been sent back.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Didn't see anything about it here but Vorobyov got his first taste of the KHL on the 22th against Dinamo Riga. Played 10:17 and went 5/9 on the dot. Salavat play Jokerit today and I haven't seen anywhere that he has been sent back.

Vey nice!

I was not even checking the KHL box-scores as I figured he would not have a legit chance of a call-up until later in the year.

Good that they think he is good enough already to play.

Coffe

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2010
Stockholm
Vey nice!

I was not even checking the KHL box-scores as I figured he would not have a legit chance of a call-up until later in the year.

Good that they think he is good enough already to play.

Playing right now as well vs Jokerit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->