Prospect Info: Round 4, Pick 104: Mikhail Vorobyov, C, Tolpar Ufa (MHL --> KHL)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Vorobyev had plenty of time to impress, he just showed nothing, and when he went back to LHV didn't exactly light that league on fire.

What Voroybev didn't show last year was any intensity, when you're on the 4th line, the one thing you can easily show is that you're going all out on every shift.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I was a tad bit young for Woodstock but I was at Watkins Glen which was a bit ridiculous. Last festival I ever went to.
Did catch the Dead and Allman brothers for two nights at JFK in 1973, "if only I could remember . . ."
Burnt out on stadiums as well.

If I had the money, I'd go see up and coming groups at cool clubs (my favorite venues were the Continental Club, the Cactus Cafe and Antones on Guadalupe).
By the time a group makes it big, after that first tour (caught U2 in 1982), they start going through the motions after 100 gigs in four months.

Young and poor is fun, old and poor sucks.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I was a tad bit young for Woodstock but I was at Watkins Glen which was a bit ridiculous. Last festival I ever went to.
Did catch the Dead and Allman brothers for two nights at JFK in 1973, "if only I could remember . . ."
Burnt out on stadiums as well.

If I had the money, I'd go see up and coming groups at cool clubs (my favorite venues were the Continental Club, the Cactus Cafe and Antones on Guadalupe).
By the time a group makes it big, after that first tour (caught U2 in 1982), they start going through the motions after 100 gigs in four months.

Young and poor is fun, old and poor sucks.

The narrative surrounding U2 since "Rattle & Hum" especially, and even since Live Aid to an extent, has been pretty hard to stomach, considering what they were before that. And yet, I understand it.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
O'Connor's Observations: Flyers get signature win against...

“I mean, if Misha is going to play at this level on a regular basis, he’s going to play in in your bottom six,” Vigneault said. “In more of a defensive role (at) 5-on-5, a little bit of penalty killing, if he continues to improve that. Young players, they’re learning how to become a pro, and a lot of times the biggest issue is the consistency. It’s challenging. This the best league in the (world). It’s challenging for him, it’s challenging for Carter Hart. It’s the best league in the (world) and you’ve got to be at your best. And that’s what with Misha, we’re trying to do.”

Vorobyev is in the final year of his entry-level contract, sparking theories that if his struggles continue, he might return home to play in the KHL. In a mild surprise, Vorobyev’s agent, Dan Milstein, tweeted on Saturday that Vorobyev had no intention of doing so and remained committed to becoming a full-time NHL player. Still, Vorobyev is at the point where he has little left to learn in the AHL.

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
He’s at shit or get off the pot. I think he is partly compromised by his lack of any wow plays. Even in his short tenure this year, NAK has some big hits on the forecheck, sniped a goal. Vorobyev doesn’t have a single memorable play for me, he’s quickly becoming an afterthought.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Vorobyev has been moved to wing, which suggests to me his lack of speed and defensive instincts make him ill suited for center, at least for AV.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The 22 year old seasons of three random forwards:

Aube-Kubel, Nicolas
9 NHL games, 0 points
54 AHL games, 30 points

Laughton, Scott
2 NHL games, 0 points
60 AHL games, 39 points

Vorobyev, Misha
20 NHL games, 3 points
22 AHL games, 17 points

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Not a big loss. He had his shot.

He wasn't good enough offensively to instantly get a shot on the top 6 and he wasn't good enough defensively to be effective on the bottom 6.

Didn't Hextall tell him to work on his game away from the puck?

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I'm not shocked. He just had a baby, and won't be taking much of a paycut from what he would have gotten here.

He was greatly mishandled by this organization. Truly wasted. A big center with seriously excellent vision and PK ability down the drain. His playmaking ability is pretty incredible at times imo.

Hakstol sacking him 2.5 games into the season in favor of Jori Cocaine ruined his confidence at the NHL level. He looked soft and hesitant after that. While looking the exact opposite in the AHL. Fire and emotion everywhere.

The organization did not help reclaim his confidence in the NHL. Literally making Stewey Biceps his most common linemate last season. This is such a wasted player. Someone failed by the organization.

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
Understandable decision for him to stay there with his kid and be a top 6 player. Not a huge loss from the Flyers perspective since they have other 3rd line center options, where he was probably better suited. Never great to lose a player but maybe this is better for his career TBH. I don't blame him.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
df8.gif

Fine by me. I was always a doubter, even taking into account the way he was mishandled.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
At least he got to play 35 games in the NHL. For a 4th round pick that alone should be considered success. They can't all be like Lindblom.

Reactions: orangey

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
Now a lot of people will say it isnt a huge loss. But we will never know that for sure. Cause he never got a real chance. I will root for him in russia so he can come back if we need Center depth in two or 3 years.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'm not shocked. He just had a baby, and won't be taking much of a paycut from what he would have gotten here.

He was greatly mishandled by this organization. Truly wasted. A big center with seriously excellent vision and PK ability down the drain. His playmaking ability is pretty incredible at times imo.

Hakstol sacking him 2.5 games into the season in favor of Jori Cocaine ruined his confidence at the NHL level. He looked soft and hesitant after that. While looking the exact opposite in the AHL. Fire and emotion everywhere.

The organization did not help reclaim his confidence in the NHL. Literally making Stewey Biceps his most common linemate last season. This is such a wasted player. Someone failed by the organization.

I'm not as big a fan as you, but I do totally agree with this.

Hopefully he makes it back with another organization at some point.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Now a lot of people will say it isnt a huge loss. But we will never know that for sure. Cause he never got a real chance. I will root for him in russia so he can come back if we need Center depth in two or 3 years.
Chance to do what though? He'll never be a 3C on this team because we already have Couturier, Hayes, Patrick and Frost as our long term center options. And as a 4C he's replaceable because every 4C is replaceable.

Reactions: Rebels57

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
I always liked him. It never worked out at the NHL level (for a lot of reasons, some out of his control). Hurts center depth in the very near future. Should be pretty easily replaced next season. He was definitely the Phantoms best player over the course of this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad