Prospect Info: Round 4, Pick 104: Mikhail Vorobyov, C, Tolpar Ufa (MHL --> KHL)

Caress of Steel

Oct 1, 2018
Delaware

Flyers officially acknowledge Vorobyev has made the team with a nice little article by Bill Meltzer.

Oh, but 6 months ago the big Flyers guru wasn't so hot on the young center. He said so in a Twitter exchange with me.

A similiar sentiment was present here as well. I even had to add a few HF users to my ignore list for unnecessary rudeness about my opinion that we should not go after a free agent because Vorobyev was ready to be a suitable NHL 3C.

I'll just take my official victory lap and be done with the subject. :nod:

tumblr_oooysnuay01t0ik4co1_500.gif

Much respect bro! I had no idea Vorobyov was this good. Apparently Hextall didn't either, since he was actually contemplating bring Filppula back. I'm guessing you must go to a lot of Phantoms games?

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Much respect bro! I had no idea Vorobyov was this good. Apparently Hextall didn't either, since he was actually contemplating bring Filppula back. I'm guessing you must go to a lot of Phantoms games?

Yeah I get all the Phantoms games on stream and go out to PP&L Center every so often. So I end up seeing a lot of Phantoms games.

Oskar Man

Social Assassin
Nov 30, 2010

Flyers officially acknowledge Vorobyev has made the team with a nice little article by Bill Meltzer.

Oh, but 6 months ago the big Flyers guru wasn't so hot on the young center. He said so in a Twitter exchange with me.

A similiar sentiment was present here as well. I even had to add a few HF users to my ignore list for unnecessary rudeness about my opinion that we should not go after a free agent because Vorobyev was ready to be a suitable NHL 3C.

I'll just take my official victory lap and be done with the subject. :nod:

tumblr_oooysnuay01t0ik4co1_500.gif

giphy.gif

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Vorobyev is going to be AMAZING.

Seriously, he showed a lot in preseason, I don't mean scoring points, but his poise and positioning and his nose for the puck.
He always had the great vision, even in the AHL he was best at either level passing from behind the net on offense.
But this fall he showed more jump, more aggression, watching him in the AHL he looked passive at times, which might just have been adjusting to NA hockey.

But you have to have reasonable expectations for a rookie, 25 ES points would be a good year, 30 would be a great year, anything he adds on the PK is a bonus.

So on a scale of 1 to 10, how obvious is it that Vorobyev was ready to play in the NHL? 1 least, 10 most

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
When?

Last year, about 3-4, he showed the basics, but didn't stand out. Could have been a passable 4C but there was no reason to rush him.

This fall, about 9, it's not that Vorobyev put up scoring numbers, that was against inferior competition and should be discounted, but his game was so fundamentally sound, the puck seemed to find him, he was always in the right position, used his body, got back on defense, etc. He has subtle little moves when handling the puck that allows him to control the pace of the game. And he has great ice vision, can anticipate where a teammate is going and get him the puck. Not sure what his upside will be, but it'll be fun to watch how far he progresses the next few years. I think he could be a solid 2C down the road.

I saw something similar watching Farabee in the WJ tryouts this summer, while O'Brien was flashier, Farabee was always in the right place on both offense and defense - the guys with the great raw skills catch your eyes at first - but then you realize that the puck seems to consistently find Farabee, and that it's not an accident.

Couts was like that before he was moved to the first line with Giroux, he had the same performance, just wasn't rewarded with the sexy stats, but all the advanced stats loved him because he both maintained puck possession and suppressed opponents' scoring. One aspect of high hockey IQ guys is they anticipate and position so well they use less energy on their shifts and can play a lot of minutes. You see that with Couts.

I think high IQ guys with good but not great skills are the hidden "efficiency" in hockey, they tend to get under drafted and underpaid because they don't jump out at you v sexier players, and tend not to get the media attention until they're in the league for an extended period.

It's obvious that Hextall LOVES these guys and is collecting as many as he can.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
This kid is money positionally. You can really see why had best corsi on phantoms last year, he is just constantly on the right side of the puck even at the pace Vegas likes to play. Just replace Torgo with weal and our bottom 6 is set.

GirouxGiroux

Visioneer
Mar 8, 2010
Sanheim did the exact same thing last night. It was a little unnerving to see it twice in one game.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
We have a Hakstod thread, if y'all are going to repeat the same bad jokes over and over, stuff that thread.
If you can't be smart, at least be clever and entertaining.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
The Pimp really looks like he's going to solidify the 3C role. Frankly, he looks better than Patrick at the moment (yes, I understand Patrick has the bigger upside; just talking about the preseason and game 1).

Pimp's really going to have to improve his faceoffs, though. Otherwise, his vision, intelligence, and quick accurate passing are a godsend. And his skating has come a long way since I first saw him playing in Russia. I still doubt he'll ever be a 2C, but he's convinced me that he can be a stud 3C.

Harhis

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
The Pimp really looks like he's going to solidify the 3C role. Frankly, he looks better than Patrick at the moment (yes, I understand Patrick has the bigger upside; just talking about the preseason and game 1).

Pimp's really going to have to improve his faceoffs, though. Otherwise, his vision, intelligence, and quick accurate passing are a godsend. And his skating has come a long way since I first saw him playing in Russia. I still doubt he'll ever be a 2C, but he's convinced me that he can be a stud 3C.
I really hope Patrick's body is just tired. After all he had his first healthy offseason in few years.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I really hope Patrick's body is just tired. After all he had his first healthy offseason in few years.
Patrick looks kind of like he did at the beginning of last season, which is disappointing. At least when he gets moving now he doesn't look slow., but his first step is terrible. He barely has the puck, and when he gets it in the neutral zone he has to get rid of it quickly. Granted, at least his hands are quick.

It's a bit worrisome considering the team needs him to be a legit, solid, reliable 2nd line center. Right now he doesn't look anywhere close to a 50 point center. Hopefully he rounds into form soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->