Prospect Info: Round 3, Pick 90: Matej Tomek, G, Topeka (USHL) --> North Dakota (NCHC)

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Let me chime in.

I am 100% one of the people who was seeing Fazleev's stats and he seemed like a steal. I asked for feedback from those who actually watched him(as I didn't) and I was told by LOD/Flyguy/Stizzle(can't remember which one or may have been all) that he was playing well. But I was also told that his upside at best was as a 3rd liner and not to get too excited over him and that a 4th line role was a more realistic projection if things went well in the AHL and he continued to progress.

Just stating what I remember being told or having read. So my "hopes" went from him maybe having top 6 upside to thinking 4th line was more realistic. Once this site gets fixed we can do some searching to find the exact working on things.

Just how I remember things.
This sounds like exactly what I think I was saying so I wonder if you were the original poster? Haha.

Reactions: Tripod

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Radel Fazleev. There’s a name from the surprisingly recent past.

I was hoping best-case scenario he could be another Fedotenko. (Not because of the initials.) But he really stalled out.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
There was a discussion about the things hextall said about him. He said something like "Fazleev needs to learn to play like a bottom 6 player." And some people said they dont like the approach by hextall because you could block a talented Player from developing his full potential when you stop him trying to be better. But no one ever said he will be a top 6 player for sure. Just my memory of the incident.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
There was a discussion about the things hextall said about him. He said something like "Fazleev needs to learn to play like a bottom 6 player." And some people said they dont like the approach by hextall because you could block a talented Player from developing his full potential when you stop him trying to be better. But no one ever said he will be a top 6 player for sure. Just my memory of the incident.

I think people confuse a top 6 prospect with players who might develop.
A top prospect like Frost or Brink will get a shot to make it in an offensive role.

But guys like Laczynski or Cates, even though they're solid prospects, will have to earn a spot in the bottom six. Like NAK this season.

So it behooves them to master the art of making the most of 10 minutes a night, fore check, back check, hit people, block shots and play with a lot of energy - i.e. play like a bottom six player. Excel at that and 2 PK minutes will be added to your 10 ES minutes. Show some offensive chops and you get 3rd line minutes, and the opportunity to earn more PT. But you have to start somewhere. That's what Hextall was trying to get these kids to understand, they're not going to push a veteran with a big salary who is still producing off the roster.

Reactions: Larry44 and dats81

Hakroach

Veteran Presence
Jan 4, 2005
Helsinki
Yep. Seems like he won the job. This was game one of the regular season.

Great year last year (albeit in a Slovak top tier that is mediocre these days) and can hopefully build on it this year.

Saipa fans on a Finnish message board didn't like how Tomek played in the preseason games but they considered him one of the positives in this RS game. They were surprised that he got the start instead of their other goalie.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
"House Money" - I think we all wrote him off, so if he bounces back, at worst a solid trade chip.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

He's way down the Flyer depth chart, partially his struggles, but also the emergence of Fedotov and Ersson.
And Sandstrom is in the same boat for the same reason, if you can't stay healthy, potential will only carry you so far.

Right now, the only goalie prospects who haven't missed time the last couple years are both in the KHL.
Something in the water? Hopefully it won't set off a Geiger counter.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
Pretty poor stats for Brno this year. I don’t think he will earn a call over anytime soon especially considering the amount of goalies in the system. Likely a wasted 3rd round pick at the end of the day.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
f***ing Hextall.

Nice of you to slot me into that category but about par for the course with you where it’s always us vs them.

I think Hextall swung and missed on a few picks like any other GM but I don’t hate on him. He had many flaws though drafting is not it. At the end of the day, Tomek is not going to see any time in the NHL any time soon barring a miracle. That’s why it’s a wasted pick. Argue and be as condescending as you want.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Nice of you to slot me into that category but about par for the course with you where it’s always us vs them.

I think Hextall swung and missed on a few picks like any other GM but I don’t hate on him. He had many flaws though drafting is not it. At the end of the day, Tomek is not going to see any time in the NHL any time soon barring a miracle. That’s why it’s a wasted pick. Argue and be as condescending as you want.
Adam Ginning was a wasted pick. There was a near zero percent chance that pick was ever going to amount to anything.

Tomek was worthy of his draft selection at the time of the draft. He just flopped for one reason on another. Inherent risk of selecting 18 year old goalies.

If Hextall had a weakness at the draft it was not swinging hard enough in the mid-to-late rounds. But a large chunk of that falls on Pryor who is the one actually pulling the trigger in those situations.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
Tomek got a shutout in his first USHL exhibition game, while dealing with this really sad news.

HockeyBuzz.com - Bill Meltzer - Preseason Gameday: 9/17/17 @ NYI, Prospect Updates, PowerPlay Hockey

If he was a Fletcher draft pick would you still say it was injuries ?

It was a bad pick. Nothing more.

Patrick has had injuries before he was drafted. If you want to critizise this pick feeling free to do it. Stolarz for example got his achilles cut after drafting in a freakish accident. Thats not on drafting! Tomek has had injuries after drafting and a hard private time. Also not on drafting in my eyes. Critisize the Player if you need to. But in my eyes its not a failure by the scouts

Reactions: renberg

emmitt fitzhume

Dec 14, 2021
Patrick has had injuries before he was drafted. If you want to critizise this pick feeling free to do it. Stolarz for example got his achilles cut after drafting in a freakish accident. Thats not on drafting! Tomek has had injuries after drafting and a hard private time. Also not on drafting in my eyes. Critisize the Player if you need to. But in my eyes its not a failure by the scouts
Does Rubstov get a pass as well since he seems to be always hurt?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->