Prospect Info: Round 3, Pick 90: Matej Tomek, G, Topeka (USHL) --> North Dakota (NCHC)

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
Hey guys, any talks about this kid coming over to NA after his contract is up at the end of this year? Pretty solid numbers in SVK.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
We have two [somewhat] legit goalie prospects in the ECHL right now with only one likely to play in LV next year barring injuries so I don’t see a spot for him.

Also the league he’s playing in isn’t exactly the best league around. Being at the top in SV% is certainly a good sign but ideally he plays next season in a better Euro league and you make a decision then.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bob Clarke Fan Club

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
We have two [somewhat] legit goalie prospects in the ECHL right now with only one likely to play in LV next year barring injuries so I don’t see a spot for him.

Also the league he’s playing in isn’t exactly the best league around. Being at the top in SV% is certainly a good sign but ideally he plays next season in a better Euro and you make a decision then.

And Ersson - while the numbers dont look great - has won the Brynas starters jobs and behind an horrific D is doing a solid job in SHL. After maybe the best season for a goalie in Allsvenskan history last year as a teenager.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
And Ersson - while the numbers dont look great - has won the Brynas starters jobs and behind an horrific D is doing a solid job in SHL. After maybe the best season for a goalie in Allsvenskan history last year as a teenager.
playing with ex-Flyers prospect Joacim Eriksson....I remember the hype around him

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
playing with ex-Flyers prospect Joacim Eriksson....I remember the hype around him

Well, it's easy to find yourself right in the center of a hype if you are the only notable prospect in the whole organization at a point of time playing a center position.
Similar to when Kevin Gonzo Marshall was deemed the future of the defense :sarcasm:

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Well, it's easy to find yourself right in the center of a hype if you are the only notable prospect in the whole organization at a point of time playing a center position.
Similar to when Kevin Gonzo Marshall was deemed the future of the defense :sarcasm:

Well, after his short stint with the Flyers, it didn't stop a certain moderator from penciling Marshall in our top-6 the follow year after I claimed he would never play an NHL game again...

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016

Also the league he’s playing in isn’t exactly the best league around. Being at the top in SV% is certainly a good sign but ideally he plays next season in a better Euro league and you make a decision then.
This. It's good to see him have a stretch where he can stay healthy, but Jori Lehtera was a ppg to start his season in russia so god knows how watered down Tomeks current competition is. Good thing is that we are no longer in position to pray he pans out like we were back in Manning, Akeson and Tye McGinn days.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Just as bad as when he waived Andreas Nodl
Or when the entire NHL allowed the great Erik Gustafsson to get away! I believe there was a lot of excitement around Radel Fazleev too. Danick Martel another shocking loss when he got almost ten games with Lightning after being waived it was clear asset mismanagement. It's almost like every one of our prospects or players that wasn't acquired via a "bad" trade or wasn't chosen instead of the "right" player in the draft is way better than GMs know.

Reactions: Deadpool8812

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Good for the Flyers as well, they can see him against top Euro competition, and then make a decision about signing him next summer.
Bring Tomek over in 2021-22, Fedorov in 2022-23, Ross graduates and goes pro in 2021-22 as well.
So we can have 2-3 prospects marinating in the AHL and ECHL while Hart is the start the next few years.

Reactions: Appleyard

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Good for the Flyers as well, they can see him against top Euro competition, and then make a decision about signing him next summer.
Bring Tomek over in 2021-22, Fedorov in 2022-23, Ross graduates and goes pro in 2021-22 as well.
So we can have 2-3 prospects marinating in the AHL and ECHL while Hart is the start the next few years.
Ustimenko, Sandstrom … where are they going?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Ustimenko, Sandstrom … where are they going?

If Sandstrom isn't on the Flyer in 2 years, he'll be back in the SHL, when you have a glut of goalie prospects, you run out of patience with a 25 year old who hasn't made it to the NHL.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
If Sandstrom isn't on the Flyer in 2 years, he'll be back in the SHL, when you have a glut of goalie prospects, you run out of patience with a 25 year old who hasn't made it to the NHL.

Sandstrom is the same age as Tomek???? So wait for one but not the other? Sandstrom is further developed than Tomek.

Rusty7550

Aug 11, 2018
Finland is great destination for goalies. Im very happy for Matej. Not only a talented goalie but also a well spoken, intelligent guy. He was very unlucky after the draft, didnt play hockey for 2 seasons because of injuries but seems like hes finally doing well again. Played so good here in Slovakia for Dukla Trencin and I still believe that he can be a NHL goalie one day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad