Prospect Info: Round 3, Pick 90: Matej Tomek, G, Topeka (USHL) --> North Dakota (NCHC)

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
tumblr_n4tsnhxMoI1qedb29o1_400.gif

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I was excited because he was a beast in the first rosters for EHM. I still haven't given up on him, although I'm baffled about him going back to high school lolz.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I'd imagine he would still take college classes at a local community college or something. The more important thing here is that he'd be ineligible to transfer & play right away within the NCAA next season. The USHL gives him somewhere else to play for next year while he's transfers to another school for the 2018-2019 season.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Works out well for him. He gets 1 year of "junior" again before then transferring to a another college program where he will have 2 years left of eligibility. He will be 22 turning 23 when he plays his last season.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Tomek got a shutout in his first USHL exhibition game, while dealing with this really sad news.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=87426

4) A sad note to pass along: Flyers goaltending prospect Matej Tomek's father unexpectedly passed away a few weeks ago after suffering a fatal heart attack. Condolences go out to Matej, his entire family and friends of the family. Thank you, Ondrej Fessl, for bringing this to my attention.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Goalies are funny, a number didn't become NHL starters until they were 25-28 years old.
So Tomek still has plenty of time to turn his career around.
With all he's been through, he's still only 22, a few months younger than Sandstrom.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Sounds like he was a little overwhelmed standing on his own feet in a foreign country. It's only human but not a good sign for a goalie because mental strength is vital for playing that unique position.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I watched Tomek at his first development camp after the draft. He was absolutely terrible, and also showed a poor, pouting attitude. I wrote about it on here, and of course got the typical venomous response from people who didn't want to hear anything negative about their new 3rd round pick. Well, his career has followed directly in line with what he showed that camp. I am glad to hear he has had a good start in Slovakia, however. Europe is probably where he belongs.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Maybe he needed to develop a healthy fear of failure.
A lot of kids take their talent for granted until they see their dream slipping away.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Maybe he needed to develop a healthy fear of failure.
A lot of kids take their talent for granted until they see their dream slipping away.

He had a really tough time really once drafted.

Serious groin injury before his first NCAA season, was not healthy until ~February when season was close to done.
UND did not play anyone but Johnson until after Xmas in his 2nd year.
He did not play a SINGLE game between April 2015 and December 2016 as a result. And only 2x games with more than 20 minutes in net between April 2015 and September 2017.
His 2 games for North Dakota comprised of below 30 minutes total 12 minutes in relief and a first period where he allowed two.
Then his Dad died just as he went to the USHL.

Will be interesting to see what happens after this year. I guess now he will be a good Euro level goalie whatever and get a ~Czech/German/Swiss/Sweden/Finland chance down the line if does not come back to North America.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad