Prospect Info: Round 3, Pick 90: Matej Tomek, G, Topeka (USHL) --> North Dakota (NCHC)

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
The goals against from last night:

Nothing too egregious:

1: Good shot through screen that went top corner.
2: Goalmouth scramble on PK where Sweden beat Dmen down low.
3: Breakaway.
4. Crazy goal on rebound.

He faced 34 shots apparently, stopping 30/34

Last edited:

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Johnson coming back.

Really tough spot for Tomek. He showed at WJC he can play - but unless he does something will have another year riding pine.

CHL is no-go now for Euro goalies.

USHL he could go to as an over-ager - but he would count both as over-ager AND 2x import spots due to being a goalie.

Transfer is an option - but where could he transfer to and be a starter after 2 years riding pine? Also would he be allowed to play next year after transfer?

Europe is an option - he could probably get a chance at a starting/split-starting gig in the Slovakian league or Czech 2nd tier if left pretty soon and played well in pre-season.

He could go to the ECHL for a year I suppose.

Last edited:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Yeah at this point, sign him to play in the ECHL and see if you can salvage his career. He can play there for a few years if need be. Just getting him games is important.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Yeah at this point, sign him to play in the ECHL and see if you can salvage his career. He can play there for a few years if need be. Just getting him games is important.

Even if he has to go back to Europe for a couple years it would be better than sitting again. He's running out of time.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Looking like a poor draft choice at this time, unfortunately. Thankfully Hextall got Sandstrom that year too.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I find it hard to believe he's good enough to get regular playing time in the ECHL. He can't even get time as an NCAA backup. I think he's going to have to either transfer to a small-time college, or play in a lower-level European league if he's got any hopes of rebuilding his career.

30whales

Oct 18, 2011
The whole Tomek situation is really hard to understand for UND fans. Cam Johnson is an average goalie so it is really weird that Tomek hasn't been able to crack the lineup even for a couple of starts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad