Round 2, Vote 12

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Really and how many 80s players are really on this list, it seems like all the pre-67 guys are ranked so high. Even if they only have like 1 or 2 art ross trophies or hart trophies. If a guy like Peter Forsberg wins both awards and has 2 playoff scoring titles, hes gonna be ranked 80th.

80's players: Gretzky, Bossy, Trottier, Potvin, Fetisov, Coffey, Dionne, Messier, and Bourque. You could argue that Messier and Bourque would fall into the 90's category, which doesn't change your argument at all anyways.

Since pre-67 play makes up about 2/3 of hockey history, it wouldn't be unreasonable to have over 60% of the players on this list be pre-expansion players. As it is, very close to 50% of the list are guys who made their mark on the league before 1970 (I consider guys like Hull and Mikita to be pre-expansion players, even though they did play in the post-expansion era). If anything, you could argue that the old-timers are being short-changed.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I definitely still want to do this. I am very interested in seeing how it all shakes out. I haven't said much in the last few votes, but I have read almost everything. My opinions are definitely being altered by the arguments some of you have put forth. That said, we should consider going up to 7-8 at a time instead of 5.

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
Anything's fine by me. I've voted on every interval thus far and enjoy it much and some arguments have really made me re-examine my thoughts on a number of players and their place on a list such as this.

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
I'd like to echo pappyline's sentiment. FissionFire has done a great job every week organizing this and deserves a round of applause. He should be a moderator here.

I was a little worried when this started that interest would drop off as we went further down the list, but I think there's still enough to keep going. I'd hate to see it end now.

Now that we're in the bottom half of the list, would choosing 10 players at a time instead of 5 be better or worse?

Thirded. Fission Fire is a great guy, and thanks for all your hard work in making this happen. Sorry I was a day late with my vote. I did send it in though:P

I will note however, that a huge part of the problem is that Lots of people on this forum fall off the wagon in hockey once their team is done for the year and summer nears, and visit less frequently.

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
What about a compromise. We'll still do 5 at a time but instead of a 7 day discussion/voting period we'll knock it down to 4 or 5 days. Would that be better?

The problem with that is, if I find myself at a loss for computer time during certain periods(Happens at this time of year), I might miss a vote, or make you angry because I am late.

I think voting on more people at once is better at this point, but still over the 7 day period. I have only been late once(this week), and it was because I was so busy I lost track of the day. I have been good about getting most of my votes in around Tuesday because I always think about it on a monday

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
80's players: Gretzky, Bossy, Trottier, Potvin, Fetisov, Coffey, Dionne, Messier, and Bourque. You could argue that Messier and Bourque would fall into the 90's category, which doesn't change your argument at all anyways.

Since pre-67 play makes up about 2/3 of hockey history, it wouldn't be unreasonable to have over 60% of the players on this list be pre-expansion players. As it is, very close to 50% of the list are guys who made their mark on the league before 1970 (I consider guys like Hull and Mikita to be pre-expansion players, even though they did play in the post-expansion era). If anything, you could argue that the old-timers are being short-changed.
I think at this point recent players are being favored. Very surprised to see Brett hull, Kurri & MacInness up for consideration at this time,

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
I will note however, that a huge part of the problem is that Lots of people on this forum fall off the wagon in hockey once their team is done for the year and summer nears, and visit less frequently.

I don't think it's about lack of interest, I think it's about this.

I'll try to participate as much as I have so far, but I don't know how much time I'll be spending in front of the computer this summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad