Prospect Info: Round 2, Pick #50: Adam Ginning, D, Linkoping HC (SHL)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yeah, you'll never find 19 year old prospects in Allsvenskan. Kiss of death.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Ah, you may want to update that NAK resume. Things have changed a lot of late.

I cant tell you how unsurprising it is that the same people who are talking up Ginning because hes captain of his WJC team are the same ones that:

A) pretend like coaches dont make bad decisions
B) are the ones who are defending Stewart's position on the roster.

At the very least, they're consistent with their opinions. Consistently bad, but hey, at least its consistent.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
This has become a toxic place:

People who share an optimistic view on less popular prospects are considered to have consistently bad opinions.
Anyone who defend a coaches' decision or at least try to follow the reasoning behind it, are automatically bad at thinking hockey because all of our coaching staff are as well. Stats don't count any more, apples are compared to oranges just to stir the pot... other than checking for the occasional injury update, this place has become useless for me.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
People get too fixated on one draft pick, often teams have multiple goals when drafting, and decisions are altered given how a draft rolls out.

Every player outside the 1st round is a gamble (with low odds of NHL success), so they're drafting for both the organization (i.e. the future AHL roster and potential call-ups) as well as upside, and there are different kinds of upside, a big stay at home defenseman may have a better shot of contributing than a puck mover (Gustafsson, for example) who looks better at lower levels but is a marginal NHL talent.

Attard was taken before Millman, who looks like (and it looked the same before the draft) the superior talent.
But Attard is a big RHD with a good shot, and they're a lot harder to find than mobile LHDs. So you take the rare commodity before the more common type.
They gambled Millman would still be on the board and won their bet.

And sometimes it's just a matter of luck, Zamula could have been taken in the 7th rd by any team, Flyers took Westfalt, who probably had a 0.1% chance of ever making the NHL, and now the odds are even longer. Fortunately, Zamula fell into their laps (though scouting identified him).

So if Zamula makes it and Ginning doesn't, it's all good. :cool:

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013

People who share an optimistic view on less popular prospects are considered to have consistently bad opinions.
Anyone who defend a coaches' decision or at least try to follow the reasoning behind it, are automatically bad at thinking hockey because all of our coaching staff are as well. Stats don't count any more, apples are compared to oranges just to stir the pot... other than checking for the occasional injury update, this place has become useless for me.
For years I didn't have one poster on ignore because I always thought even if we don't always agree we're all still Flyers fans.
But this place has changed so much for the worse that I had to start putting people on ignore or otherwise I'd have to stop posting entirely.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
For years I didn't have one poster on ignore because I always thought even if we don't always agree we're all still Flyers fans.
But this place has changed so much for the worse that I had to start putting people on ignore or otherwise I'd have to stop posting entirely.
A lot of fans care far more about hero worship than the team itself. It’s sort of like when you’re a little kid & think your father is perfect at everything.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
A lot of fans care far more about hero worship than the team itself. It’s sort of like when you’re a little kid & think your father is perfect at everything.

Absurd and petty. You know how quickly this can be turned around?

"A lot of fans care more about despising certain players than the team itself. It's sort of like when you're a kid and declare that you hate a food you've never tried."

Pretty sure we are all Flyers fans or we wouldn't spend ungodly amounts of time dissecting this team down to its most basic traits and then, after having consumed that product entirely, we go down the line of prospects too. I think we can all drop the Fandom Purity Test bit.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

"A lot of fans care more about despising certain players than the team itself. It's sort of like when you're a kid and declare that you hate a food you've never tried."

Pretty sure we are all Flyers fans or we wouldn't spend ungodly amounts of time dissecting this team down to its most basic traits and then, after having consumed that product entirely, we go down the line of prospects too. I think we can all drop the Fandom Purity Test bit.

:laugh:

This is everything.

Reactions: Striiker

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014

I 100% stand by what I said. A lot of fans care more about their favorite individual players than they care about the team.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I 100% stand by what I said. A lot of fans care more about their favorite individual players than they care about the team.

No, no they do not.

Here we have another flashback to the Carter days. That exact same thing was said about people who dared to defend Carter and Richards and point out that they're actually good players. And yet when they were traded we are all still here.

Except for one person who was a Richards fan first and foremost going back to Juniors.

Everyone else here is a Flyers fan first.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
No, no they do not.

Here we have another flashback to the Carter days. That exact same thing was said about people who dared to defend Carter and Richards and point out that they're actually good players. And yet when they were traded we are all still here.

Except for one person who was a Richards fan first and foremost going back to Juniors.

Everyone else here is a Flyers fan first.
I think there are plenty of fans who would be happier seeing a Giroux or Ghost hat trick & a Flyers loss then see them held off the scoresheet in a Flyers W.

In the former situation, they get the dopamine hit of their heroes justifying their idol status, while haranguing the coaches & teammates who let their heroes down.

In the latter situation they still blame the coaches, this time for allegedly sabotaging their infallible heroes due to incompetent decisions, despite the win. But they don’t get the same joy out of a team win as they do from their idols’ individual success.

Am I saying every fan is like this? Of course not. But a huge # are.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

If that’s what you think is happening then you’re not paying close enough attention.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I think there are plenty of fans who would be happier seeing a Giroux or Ghost hat trick & a Flyers loss then see them held off the scoresheet in a Flyers W.

In the former situation, they get the dopamine hit of their heroes justifying their idol status, while haranguing the coaches & teammates who let their heroes down.

In the latter situation they still blame the coaches, this time for allegedly sabotaging their infallible heroes due to incompetent decisions, despite the win. But they don’t get the same joy out of a team win as they do from their idols’ individual success.

I've never observed any indication this is true. At all. Have you seen this board after a loss, even when favorites play well?

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Not everyone watches sports for the same reasons or in the same ways. It doesn't make them more/less of a fan. If you think it does, you're a gatekeeping idiot and not worth anyone's time. Sorry.

Besides, everyone knows the only way to get fan superiority is to sit in the Authentic Fan Section.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Fans can root for whatever reasons they want. I’m simply observing that many care more about their heroes’ individual success (& finding excuses for their failures) than they care about the team.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018

Lol

Reactions: Striiker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad