Prospect Info: Round 2, Pick #50: Adam Ginning, D, Linkoping HC (SHL)

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Anyone get any viewings of Ginning outside of the U18 tourney? Like toward the end of the season at Linkoping with Lycksell?

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I like this pick more than most on this board. I had Ginning in the 30s. He was the 5th ranked European player by Euro Central Scouting. Played most of the season in the SHL, which is a good predictor for someone his age of becoming an NHLer.

Defensemen were flying off the board. The East is absolutely loading up, and is becoming laden with power forwards. The Flyers can't go all small on D. They're going to need guys who can handle the young power forwards in the East, on the PK and otherwise. They've got offensive-oriented young defensemen in Ghost, Provorov, Sanheim, and Myers.

I think Ginning was a good value at 50 and the best d-man available on the board for the Flyers. Future board whipping boy, for sure, though.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I think this is just more confirmation that the Flyers still value traditional defensive d vs modern puck movers. They recognize trends in the league (late), but they can't give up their ideas from the past. I am sure Vegas' D reinforced their beliefs.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Um...ok? They've taken a lot of forwards in recent drafts because of the level of defensemen they had. They don't have a 3rd. They took 2 forwards in round 1. They had to take a defensemen

Trading down is an option. To be fair, we don’t know if it was a realistic one. What’s the difference in adding a LHD now or later in this draft or even next year? Phantoms depth? That actually does sound like a Hextall thing to me.

But really the point to me is that you spend all year making a draft board and yet at the draft it goes out the window for justifications like that. We’ll never know if they did, so it’s hard to fully come down on them for it. I’ll just say the idea bothers me more than any individual player picked could for the same reasons why Bjorkstrand will always be the draft miss that drives me bananas.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
i have no problem with this pick. He was ranked higher than 50 so he dropped a bit to us. He balances out our draft, and he is a guy we can let develop in Sweden . we have many puck moving dmen in our system and at the nhl level. We are not short on puck movers.

Reactions: Morinisbear

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Draft rankings went out the window after pick 12. I wouldn't use those to justify rankings.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
ok I guess but Aki Thomas.. could be a sleeper you wanted..

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Trading down is an option. To be fair, we don’t know if it was a realistic one. What’s the difference in adding a LHD now or later in this draft or even next year? Phantoms depth? That actually does sound like a Hextall thing to me.

But really the point to me is that you spend all year making a draft board and yet at the draft it goes out the window for justifications like that. We’ll never know if they did, so it’s hard to fully come down on them for it. I’ll just say the idea bothers me more than any individual player picked could for the same reasons why Bjorkstrand will always be the draft miss that drives me bananas.

The same guy is running the draft. Same one who has been coming away with the a prospect pool we always hear is the best in the league. If he's the guy then he's the guy.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
People keep talking about Ginning replacing Hagg. Why not both?!

But really, people talked about adding a top 4 d-man in case we lost Myers or Sanheim or whoever in expansion. Restocking the pool. Is this really it? I don't think Ginning will be a top 4 d-man, at least not in an objective sense, maybe an overplayed Hagg top 4 sense. I'm thinking about where I will put him in our rankings, and it will be pretty low for a fresh 2nd round. Maybe our 5th d-man not in the NHL.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
The same guy is running the draft. Same one who has been coming away with the a prospect pool we always hear is the best in the league. If he's the guy then he's the guy.

Their drafting has been undeniably fantastic on the average. What does that have to do with the concept of being forced to draft for position?

Now that I think about it, didn’t Hextall say you can’t do that last night? You can prefer a position in a band of picks, but you can’t say you want an X?

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Not the greatest write up from Future Considerations
IcRGAZc.png

Reactions: Magua

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
People keep talking about Ginning replacing Hagg. Why not both?!

But really, people talked about adding a top 4 d-man in case we lost Myers or Sanheim or whoever in expansion. Restocking the pool. Is this really it? I don't think Ginning will be a top 4 d-man, at least not in an objective sense, maybe an overplayed Hagg top 4 sense. I'm thinking about where I will put him in our rankings, and it will be pretty low for a fresh 2nd round. Maybe our 5th d-man not in the NHL.

Here's hoping that Meltzer was just throwing out a comp and isn't in the loop about the scouting of Ginning. Hagg is boring, bad hockey

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
As a u17 defenseman in SuperElite in 2016/17, Ginning had 10 points in 29 games, vs. 11 points in 30 games for the tiny "puck moving" Axel Andersson, and 8 pts in 34 games for first-rounder Filip Johansson.

In u18 international play this past season, he had 7 points in 13 games, tied for 4th among all Swedish u18 players and 2nd among the D to Boqvist.

I know offense isn't his game, but he may have more two-way potential than he's getting credit for. Sometimes these big guys take a little longer to hit their full potential, also, as they refine their skating, and the Flyers should know him well from playing with Lycksell, who they seem to have scouted well.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Their drafting has been undeniably fantastic on the average. What does that have to do with the concept of being forced to draft for position?

Because someday you need to draft defensemen. Over the last 3 drafts, and with a million picks, they've only taken 3. They're probably going to have to match that number today.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
You have to give every kid a chance to play themselves out before totally giving up on them, but everything about this pick sounds like it sucks hard. Especially for a 2nd rounder. Right now he's an inconsistent, prone to mistakes shutdown defender with the upside of Robert Hagg. In the second round.

Reactions: BernieParent

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Here's hoping that Meltzer was just throwing out a comp and isn't in the loop about the scouting of Ginning. Hagg is boring, bad hockey
Bill is an aficionado in Swedish hockey, he's not just throwing stuff out there, he said that because he believes it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad