Prospect Info: Round 2, Pick #50: Adam Ginning, D, Linkoping HC (SHL)

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Lumbering skater, mediocre hockey sense, poor puck skills, & meh defensive abilities.

Alec Regula will always be the one who got away for me in the 2018 draft...

tbh I think his skating is fine. Can move in a straight line and has okay edges.

But yeh, his passing and reading game needs to improve.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
tbh I think his skating is fine. Can move in a straight line and has okay edges.

But yeh, his passing and reading game needs to improve.

Lateral quickness hasn’t seen really any improvement since he was drafted. Passing & his ability to receive passes needs work.

Chasing hits may be the most frustrating aspect of his game though

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
His skating has never been nearly as bad as some make it out to be.

Some act like he’s cement-footed, but he’s not. He’s not a burner, but not a “plodder.” His feet are decent & he has the tools to keep improving his skating, like many do as they enter their 20s.

Reactions: Larry44

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
His skating has never been nearly as bad as some make it out to be.

Some act like he’s cement-footed, but he’s not. He’s not a burner, but not a “plodder.” His feet are decent & he has the tools to keep improving his skating, like many do as they enter their 20s.
He must have something to offer, the Swedes keep naming him captain of their national teams. Let's hope he finds a way to round out his game and make the NHL.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Ginning is okay in stride. I wouldn't praise it, but for a big guy, it's not noteworthy bad either. But his short area skating is messy. He has clumsy feet -- burst, pivots, cross overs. Combine that with a generally off-balance appearance and poor hockey sense, where he is always reacting instead of dictating, and you have a guy who too often looks like he has two left feet defending. And that's just the defensive off-puck side of his game. You know......his "strength."

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
He seems very aware of where he needs to improve to get to the next level

Is it...

giphy.gif

source.gif

giphy.gif

:)

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Ginning is okay in stride. I wouldn't praise it, but for a big guy, it's not noteworthy bad either. But his short area skating is messy. He has clumsy feet -- burst, pivots, cross overs. Combine that with a generally off-balance appearance and poor hockey sense, where he is always reacting instead of dictating, and you have a guy who too often looks like he has two left feet defending. And that's just the defensive off-puck side of his game. You know......his "strength."

If this wasnt a Ginning thread, I 100% would believe it to be the Hagg thread based on this description.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014

Since Ginning is supposedly incompetent at everything, I thought these two recent plays which somehow went unmentioned in this thread deserved notice.

Stolen from Appleyard's article.

Last edited:
Reactions: Larry44

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He's a big 19 year old defenseman, I'll wait until he's 22.
Same with Ratcliffe and his first AHL season, I'll wait a couple years until he fills out.

A lot of big players take longer to mature, as long as there is contract space and no cap implications, what's the big deal?
People want to gamble on undersized players with skill, well, most of them don't work out, you only remember the ones that do.
Same with big players with some modicum of skating ability.

Flyers have been drafting lots of skilled lottery tickets (Kase, Kalynuk, etc), so they drafted a few big gambles?
The odds odds of a player lasting for 400+ NHL games (i.e. a starting player) is:
21% from picks 31-50, 15% from picks 51-100, and about 7% for the rest of the draft.
So they're all crap shots after the 1st rd (which is why you should rarely trade 1st rd picks).

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
He's a big 19 year old defenseman, I'll wait until he's 22.
Same with Ratcliffe and his first AHL season, I'll wait a couple years until he fills out.

A lot of big players take longer to mature, as long as there is contract space and no cap implications, what's the big deal?
People want to gamble on undersized players with skill, well, most of them don't work out, you only remember the ones that do.
Same with big players with some modicum of skating ability.

Flyers have been drafting lots of skilled lottery tickets (Kase, Kalynuk, etc), so they drafted a few big gambles?
The odds odds of a player lasting for 400+ NHL games (i.e. a starting player) is:
21% from picks 31-50, 15% from picks 51-100, and about 7% for the rest of the draft.
So they're all crap shots after the 1st rd (which is why you should rarely trade 1st rd picks).
Yup. Big players often develop on a later curve.

Some have a hatred for players who aren’t flashy & offensive.

Same thing with the reaction to the Braun trade.

They are convinced that you should have a lineup with all offensive players.

It overlooks the importance of the PK & how there are tons of huge power forwards in the league to deal with.

Reactions: wasup

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Just checking, so defense counts for some Dmen, but doesn't matter for other Dmen? Huh. Cool.

I hope Ginning gets better and makes the NHL. Never want to waste a pick especially a 2nd rounder. With the pipeline of good LHD prospects we have, it might not ever be with us but he is still an asset.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
It matters if they can be used in important & difficult defensive situations, like PK & defensive zone draws.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Just checking, so defense counts for some Dmen, but doesn't matter for other Dmen? Huh. Cool.

I hope Ginning gets better and makes the NHL. Never want to waste a pick especially a 2nd rounder. With the pipeline of good LHD prospects we have, it might not ever be with us but he is still an asset.

I just hope he doesn't make the NHL WITHOUT getting better. That's a distinct possibility.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don’t get all of the excuse making for Ginning. I assume because he was a 2nd rd pick.

More because he's 19.
Outside of the top 20 picks, how many draft picks make the NHL before they're 22, if at all?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad