Prospect Info: Round 2, Pick #50: Adam Ginning, D, Linkoping HC (SHL)

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
Am I the only person who is willing to give the guy a couple more years to see what's what, or does that stance mean I have to have rocks thrown at me?
giphy.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
But I’d rather see a team go bold on someone they want to bet on than just go next down the consensus list (and I’m guilty of this too sometimes when I make my fake lists).

I think it depends where you are in the draft and what kind of upside you're looking at.
You really can't afford to whiff in the top 20, those are your starters, and too many misses will sink a franchise.
Second round you take more risks especially later in the round.
Third round and lower, the odds of landing a player is so low go upside.

Reactions: macleish1974

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Yeah, I don't think Miller is guaranteed to be great or anything, but he would have been a nice prospect to add to the list without nearly as much consternation as JOB has given us.
Miller was suspended by UW for the start of the season for “violating team rules”. Nothing specific as to what the violation was but it was not the best way to start the season.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
There are LOT of fans from Sweden that don't want him on the WJC team but know/think their coach will pick him for it anyways. Not just Flyers fans down on him. Just a few examples:

Also I cannot see how Ginning does not make the team since he went last year. I think Björnfot and Söderström should be on the team ahead of him, but the Swedish management on all levels seem quite loyal to whomever they perceive as "their guy".

Interesting to see both Ginning and Lundmark on that roster considering that they have recently sliped to the bottom of Linköping's defensive heirarchy (the SHL one of course). Ginning have been the 7th d-man lately (soon to be 8th with the signing of Lofquist?) and Lundmark have been playing with the J20 team. Meanwhile William Worge Kreü (also born in 2000) have seen more TOI over the past 5 games and plays better than Ginning.

Montén and his boys love Ginning, I remember last year when Hockeynews filmed them talking the dmen Ginning was a guarantee for them and the things they said about him were objectively false(like his ice time being much higher than it was).

I remember that too. And that is also why I think he(Ginning) will have the spot over someone like Norlinder.

Broberg, Boqvist, Björnfot, Sandin, Söderström, Lundkvist and Ginning is all locks. But personally i would choose Cronholm, Karl Jonsson or Norlinder over Ginning.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Miller was suspended by UW for the start of the season for “violating team rules”. Nothing specific as to what the violation was but it was not the best way to start the season.

Probably killed a homeless guy.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
The O'Brien and Ginning picks absolutely kill me every time I'm reminded of them.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
19 years old in Allsvensken isn't the end of the world for a Swedish prospect.
It isn't like most 2nd rd picks make it to the NHL by 20 or 21, if they make it at all.
A year in Allsvensken, a year back in the SHL at 20, AHL for two years at 21 & 22 and he'd be in the same position as Friedman right now at 23.

Reactions: macleish1974

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Ginning is in Allsvensken for the same reason Myers was in the AHL last year, so he can play more minutes in a larger role.
Of course, at 19 Myers was in his PD+2 season in the CHL.
Point being you still have to wait three years to find out if he's as bad as people claim.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
For a defenseman people swear is a no-skill clod, 4 points in 6 SuperElite games & 1 point in 2 Allsvensken games.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
For a defenseman people swear is a no-skill clod, 4 points in 6 SuperElite games & 1 point in 2 Allsvensken games.

He can skate for his size and has pretty decent hands. But 0.66 P/GP in J20 at his age is not much to write home about contextually. He is 3rd on their D in P/GP after undrafted Lyckåsen (who is a year younger) and Sabres 7th rounder Worge Kreü.

He can skate well, and does look better this year as he is used that more than last year. But I worry about his hockey IQ more than anything right now.

I do think the Allsvenskan is a good thing for him. Hopefully it helps him actually use some of his skillset and learn how to make better decisions with the puck, and give some offensive confidence.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Reactions: Striiker

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You're talking a big, mobile 19 year old defenseman.
Some of these guys take time to develop.
Dumoulin didn't make it to the NHL until he was 24, with 3 college and 3 AHL seasons under his belt.

If he couldn't skate (Strome) that would be different, you can improve skating but only by so much.
Some guys are slow learners, some guys just lack the hockey IQ and never learn.
We'll know in a few years.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Lumbering skater, mediocre hockey sense, poor puck skills, & meh defensive abilities.

Alec Regula will always be the one who got away for me in the 2018 draft...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad