Prospect Info: Round 2, Pick #50: Adam Ginning, D, Linkoping HC (SHL)

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
upload_2019-10-24_9-53-1.gif

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

While I'm more than content with Ginning, Alec Regula wouldn't have been a bad pick at 50. Hindsight is 20-20 though *checks page 1*.

When they don't take guys who seem right in their wheelhouse, and take players who are already trending towards being busts instead, it's pretty hard to swallow. Hextall obviously wanted a RHD since he took St Ivany in the 4th and Wylie in the 5th.

Imaging having Farabee, K'Andre Miller and Regula or Thomas from their first 3 picks of the 2018 draft.

Elite Prospects - NHL Entry Draft 2018

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
When they don't take guys who seem right in their wheelhouse, and take players who are already trending towards being busts instead, it's pretty hard to swallow. Hextall obviously wanted a RHD since he took St Ivany in the 4th and Wylie in the 5th.

Imaging having Farabee, K'Andre Miller and Regula or Thomas from their first 3 picks of the 2018 draft.

Elite Prospects - NHL Entry Draft 2018

I still cling to the idea JOB can be a good middle 6 type. He’s got talent. I’d prefer them gambling like that than a weak consensus player fall to them at a position they want, and they go, “Eh. Sure.” Which was what Ginning seemed. He seems so much the opposite of a bang the table type.

Much as I like Miller — and would’ve taken him next for defenders after Sandin, with Lundkvist ranked right with them — he’s still very raw and has high variance. And I’m not losing much sleep over Akil Thomas; I think his skill-set is a little flat still projecting. I really liked Regula at the time, and if they wanted a “type,” he just seemed the best fit at that spot, with upside to boot. But I actually believe Danila Zhuravlyov was my top ranked defender at 50 though (30s ranked? I watched him a lot). He went 5th round, and I thought I was maybe too bold. Maybe not. But I’d rather see a team go bold on someone they want to bet on than just go next down the consensus list (and I’m guilty of this too sometimes when I make my fake lists).

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Yeah, I don't think Miller is guaranteed to be great or anything, but he would have been a nice prospect to add to the list without nearly as much consternation as JOB has given us.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Last edited:
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
"defensive defensemen just need longer development time, that's all."
Too often that term is used to bury the fact that the player is awful offensively and in transition.

When you have as many defensemen (on the team and in the system) with two-way ability as we do, you don't need to settle for "defensive defensemen".

Reactions: Starat327

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Too often that term is used to bury the fact that the player is awful offensively and in transition.

When you have as many defensemen (on the team and in the system) with two-way ability as we do, you don't need to settle for "defensive defensemen".

but none of them that hit like ginning will hes a lock for a bottom pairing floor

Reactions: Striiker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->