Prospect Info: Round 2, Pick #50: Adam Ginning, D, Linkoping HC (SHL)

Yabob

Dec 12, 2006
Linköping
What happens when an NHL lock, toted for his maturity and pro experience, averages under 10 minutes for Linkoping, which is 5 minutes less than last season and 1.5 minutes less than his draft year, and gets sent down to the junior league? How do we spin that as a positive?

giphy.gif

TOI can be deceiving. Last season the team hade plenty of injuries on their best d-men, so the rest of them (Ginning included) got more TOI than they really should have had based on their skills.

For this season they also have a new GM and a new head coach, both of which are a lot more demanding than to old ones. The players that perform best will get the most TOI now (which wasn't always true in the past).

PK16

Jul 28, 2013
TOI can be deceiving. Last season the team hade plenty of injuries on their best d-men, so the rest of them (Ginning included) got more TOI than they really should have had based on their skills.

For this season they also have a new GM and a new head coach, both of which are a lot more demanding than to old ones. The players that perform best will get the most TOI now (which wasn't always true in the past).
I appreciate the information, but it still does not make a strong case for a positive developmental trajectory for Ginning. I guess he may not be performing as well as other D on the team?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I appreciate the information, but it still does not make a strong case for a positive developmental trajectory for Ginning. I guess he may not be performing as well as other D on the team?

Holes 32
Larsson 28
Larsson 24
Lindroth 23
Myllari 28
Lundmark 19 is the only other "young" defenseman.
#51 pick in 2019 draft, last year 28g 0-3 0 -9, this year 9g 0-1 1 -4, [Ginning is 9 months older]
(Bjorkman at 20, is injured, 13 SHL 2017-18, Allsvenskan last season)

SHL is NOT a development league, teams play to win so it's hard for young players to earn PT.

PK16

Jul 28, 2013
Holes 32
Larsson 28
Larsson 24
Lindroth 23
Myllari 28
Lundmark 19 is the only other "young" defenseman.
#51 pick in 2019 draft, last year 28g 0-3 0 -9, this year 9g 0-1 1 -4, [Ginning is 9 months older]
(Bjorkman at 20, is injured, 13 SHL 2017-18, Allsvenskan last season)

SHL is NOT a development league, teams play to win so it's hard for young players to earn PT.
So based on Yabob's comment, the players playing best will get the most playing time (regardless of age), so Ginning, must not be playing well relative to others. BTW, I never suggested that the SHL was a development league, rather, that Ginning does not seem to be progressing as well as some suggested he would, thus, the decrease in playing time.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
No, not a great sign that Ginning got demoted, but Linkoping is a struggling franchise and they're going with older vets on D right now. Ginning is still only 19. On the bright side, he has 2 goals and 1 assist in 3 games in the SuperElite.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
So based on Yabob's comment, the players playing best will get the most playing time (regardless of age), so Ginning, must not be playing well relative to others. BTW, I never suggested that the SHL was a development league, rather, that Ginning does not seem to be progressing as well as some suggested he would, thus, the decrease in playing time.

Yabob pointed out that his PT last year was partially due to injuries by veteran defensemen.

With a full compliment of veteran defenseman, Ginning's minutes were reduced, and Lundmark has only played 9 games (similar level of prospect as a #51 pick). So it's hard to read a lot into this other than Ginning isn't an elite prospect, which isn't exactly front page news.

PK16

Jul 28, 2013
Yabob pointed out that his PT last year was partially due to injuries by veteran defensemen.

With a full compliment of veteran defenseman, Ginning's minutes were reduced, and Lundmark has only played 9 games (similar level of prospect as a #51 pick). So it's hard to read a lot into this other than Ginning isn't an elite prospect, which isn't exactly front page news.
The point is I think that there are some on this site that think he is a better prospect than he is, and he clearly has not shown it. Maybe things will change in the future.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
He was ranked #26 in the prospect polls and Twarynski was #29, so if anything he's overrated on here. :laugh:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

While I'm more than content with Ginning, Alec Regula wouldn't have been a bad pick at 50. Hindsight is 20-20 though *checks page 1*.

And 32 teams should have drafted Myers and Zamula. Hindsight IS 20-20.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Ginning is still only 19, he should be in the CHL instead of Allsvenskan.

That's not how this works when his singular shining beacon of prospect awesomeness, for you included, was his SHL games played: showing his maturity, NHL lock floor, etc., etc. Can't play the development angle now for a player with almost no tools, except physical maturity.

And 32 teams should have drafted Myers and Zamula. Hindsight IS 20-20.

Zamula and Myers had unremarkable draft years by the stats. One was a scrawny Russian import, traded once already; the other struggled through injuries and 2 years of mediocre Q numbers. You'd like to wishfully think some scouting guru would sniff their latent talent out in a late round, but such is life. It happens.

Regula was a ~3rd round type who played big minutes for the most notable junior team in the CHL. The conceited joke was I had him in the low 40s and said immediately after we took Ginning that Regula was the 6'4, defensive defenseman worth taking at that pick for a slew of reasons, including puck skills, age, developmental arc, handedness.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's just amusing how much energy people put into Ginning, you'd think with Hagg around they'd have enough dogs to kick.

Even the best drafting teams miss out on half their 2nd and 3rd round picks, and 50% in that part of the draft is a great batting average.
(19% of 2nd rd picks play 400 games, 16% of 3rd rd picks)
I don't care who they could have taken, since that's water under the bridge (except if it's a trend, i.e. the batting average falls to or below league average).
I realize you have a chance to crow, so crow away. You are one of the few here with any real knowledge and judgement of draft prospects.

Ginning did play a bunch of games in the SHL at a young age, that is a positive, Sweden isn't Switzerland, where decent players are few and far between.
I don't think anyone expects Ginning to be more than a 3rd pair defenseman, but being demoted to Allsvenskan at 19 isn't exactly the kiss of death for a Swedish prospect. And it is a good opportunity for him to hone his offensive skills in a less pressured situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad