Prospect Info: Round 2, Pick #50: Adam Ginning, D, Linkoping HC (SHL)

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
wKF6JYr.gif

You must be fun at parties. You provide no commentary on his game, save for shallow Wikipedia copy and pastes, basing his hockey intelligence on an interview, and tireless appeals to authority. There is no there there to anything you say about the player. No finer points, no visual evidence, just blather. If you want to argue with people who can provide these things, don't play the martyr when called out.

If I had any confidence they were your own well-meaning thoughts, I wouldn't mind. I'd disagree, but I would do so respectfully. I don't think anyone needs to be shamed for their opinion. Any player or topic. But it doesn't take a genius to figure out this is par-for-the-course contrarian shtick because something something hive mind. Nothing you write exists in a vacuum.

Even if you had watched him and all this was in earnest and I'm someone who desperately needs to get over myself (very likely!), you've proven on countless occasions your hockey thoughts aren't worth much. But keep fighting the good fight.
LOL at this crock of BS. Telling others you *know* what they’ve done & haven’t done. Such hubris. What it boils down to is you’re so cocksure about your wannabe scouting genius that you can’t accept that people see things differently than you. I got a good laugh that you tried to act like you have an open mind when you can’t even accept the FACT that I’ve watched Ginning play. Multiple times.

'Mental rigidity' at root of intense political partisanship on both left and right, study finds

Also, disingenuous spin on what I said about Ginning’s intelligence. It’s the kind of misrepresentation that must drive Jordan Peterson crazy, who is very careful with his word choices & constantly has people who don’t like him try to change the meaning of what he says in an effort to win an argument. It’s a cheap tactic that looks bad to anyone with formal experience.

Reactions: FlyguyOX and Jtown

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
He was one of the best puck movers in the entire league last year. You have too many biases my man.
He is a D man some like but he is not the type i like . I like defense that play defense first but can step in and join the play or play a tight gap and get offensive chances by stepping in front of passes catching the other team going the wrong way . I hate D men that pick the puck up in their own end and the first thing they think is carry the puck right up the ice while the forwards circle and circle and wait for him to get to the blue line . I also like D man that can control a battle in their own end not ones that have to poke here and their trying to get the puck while avoiding the battle .

Like i said Makar is a skilled puck mover that picks his spots , Girard to risk taker .

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He is a D man some like but he is not the type i like . I like defense that play defense first but can step in and join the play or play a tight gap and get offensive chances by stepping in front of passes catching the other team going the wrong way . I hate D men that pick the puck up in their own end and the first thing they think is carry the puck right up the ice while the forwards circle and circle and wait for him to get to the blue line . I also like D man that can control a battle in their own end not ones that have to poke here and their trying to get the puck while avoiding the battle .

Like i said Makar is a skilled puck mover that picks his spots , Girard to risk taker .
Thank you for confirming what I said.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
LOL at this crock of BS. Telling others you *know* what they’ve done & haven’t done. Such hubris. What it boils down to is you’re so cocksure about your wannabe scouting genius that you can’t accept that people see things differently than you. I got a good laugh that you tried to act like you have an open mind when you can’t even accept the FACT that I’ve watched Ginning play. Multiple times.

'Mental rigidity' at root of intense political partisanship on both left and right, study finds

Also, disingenuous spin on what I said about Ginning’s intelligence. It’s the kind of misrepresentation that must drive Jordan Peterson crazy, who is very careful with his word choices & constantly has people who don’t like him try to change the meaning of what he says in an effort to win an argument. It’s a cheap tactic that looks bad to anyone with formal experience.

Yet again, I see nothing of substance about Ginning, dodgy personal attacks, etc. It's so tedious at this point. Whether it's self-delusion or just plain disingenuousness, no one here is buying what you're selling. The key difference between this "wannabe scouting genius" and you is that I don't put on airs. I readily admit my ignorance. I don't put on my expert hat because I googled his stats and watched a 5 minute clip and then lecture others. It's why people respect me and my opinion, which clearly vexes you. (Dis)agreement has nothing to do with it when we can't actually discuss anything about the player.

If the total lack of details and endless appeals to authority and last-ditch phony arguments about "bias" aren't enough, I could point out that you made ONE mention of "Ginning" between the months of August-June this year, literally from poll to poll. An entire season.

Ghosts Beer said:
He’s a good player. He’s not an unskilled loaf like you’d believe from the reaction on this board. And he plays with high intelligence. You just have a bunch of people who scoff at any defenseman who isn’t Ghost. And, I mean, I’m a huge fan of Brannstrom, Boqvist, & Q. Hughes, but I also wouldn’t take the Flyers’ Erik Gustafsson or Bruno Gervais over Robert Hagg.

For someone who loves to comment on prospects -- look at you go in our recent prospects game! -- it's a bit strange. He played in the WJC, no? How about any posts during this year's summer showcase? Linkoping? Again, we're drawing a blank. Now, here is the first post you wrote about Ginning -- in this very thread yet -- right after being drafted. Everything you've ever said was already in here, just reworded ad nauseam:

I like this pick more than most on this board. I had Ginning in the 30s. He was the 5th ranked European player by Euro Central Scouting. Played most of the season in the SHL, which is a good predictor for someone his age of becoming an NHLer.

Defensemen were flying off the board. The East is absolutely loading up, and is becoming laden with power forwards. The Flyers can't go all small on D. They're going to need guys who can handle the young power forwards in the East, on the PK and otherwise. They've got offensive-oriented young defensemen in Ghost, Provorov, Sanheim, and Myers.

I think Ginning was a good value at 50 and the best d-man available on the board for the Flyers. Future board whipping boy, for sure, though.

"Future board whipping boy, for sure, though." There it is: love at first contrarian sight. Make whatever glib response you want; I have exhausted this topic.

Last edited:

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Quit posting advance stats and actually watch the player . He tries to carry the puck out of his own all the time , hangs on to it to long , this results in him turning the puck over way to much and puts the team back on their heels repeatably . If you want to see how it should be done watch Makar not Girard , huge difference .

Girard is like Barrie and i would not want both on my team at the same time and i guess Sakic did not want to either , one of that style is enough on a team .

upload_2019-9-12_11-56-54.png

Audible Velvet

Jul 9, 2015
Philthadelphia
It could possibly impacted by start zones and deployment, too, but it's atleast indicative of some puck-moving success.
I'm curious about how much it would be impacted by zone starts and why. Does it matter much for this stat where you start? It's zone specific, so you're in your own zone to start tracking this. Sorry if I'm not so clear.
Also, to be clear, just looking at this as a piece of the big picture.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Yeah more advance stats . Do you actually watch hockey at all or just search to internet to find these things . I have two cousins who live in Denver , one has season tickets other one goes to about 5 games per year . They say Girard is skilled and mobile out there but is an adventure fairly often and his D coverage decision making is not great { taking wrong man ,turning wrong way }.When i watched the playoffs of Colorado last year i could def see what they were talking about .

They also said he is young and think he can improve in these areas whereas they are glad Barrie is gone cause he is old enough to have improved his defense and that has not happened .
Also those stats just goes to prove my point , he gets the puck in his own end and the first thing he thinks is i'm going to skate with it . Then starts to get cut off and turns it over or makes a mistake and then is going the wrong way , it quite often happens between his blue line and center ice . This does not happen all the time but far too often for my liking and especially in playoffs where you win by limiting mistakes . He is a risk taker

Last edited:
Reactions: hatcher

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Yeah more advance stats . Do you actually watch hockey at all or just search to internet to find these things . I have two cousins who live in Denver , one has season tickets other one goes to about 5 games per year . They say Girard is skilled and mobile out there but is an adventure fairly often and his D coverage decision making is not great { taking wrong man ,turning wrong way }.When i watched the playoffs of Colorado last year i could def see what they were talking about .

They also said he is young and think he can improve in these areas whereas they are glad Barrie is gone cause he is old enough to have improved his defense and that has not happened .
Also those stats just goes to prove my point , he gets the puck in his own end and the first thing he thinks is i'm going to skate with it . Then starts to get cut off and turns it over or makes a mistake and then is going the wrong way , it quite often happens between his blue line and center ice . This does not happen all the time but far too often for my liking and especially in playoffs where you win by limiting mistakes . He is a risk taker

You sound like one of the old scouts from Moneyball talking about the prospect having an ugly girlfriend.

Wait, why is it you aren't scouting anymore?

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
If ginning weren't supposed to be a defense first d-man, and if he were to put up a 65 point season in the NHL like ghost did, he'd probably get less flack.

Just saying.
Players make mistakes. It’s easy to show one or two caught on tape & act like that defines them. As the announcer points out, Ghost makes a hell of a lot of them, & sometimes he scores 37 points not 65. Not saying Ginning is better than Ghost. Just laughing at showing a clip of a mistake or two & acting like it proves hockey sense while ignoring a litany of errors by fan favorites.

Last edited:

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
You sound like one of the old scouts from Moneyball talking about the prospect having an ugly girlfriend.

Wait, why is it you aren't scouting anymore?
Nope , i'm just a scout that does not judge's a defense man by his offensive output . I value his ability to prevent goals more , you know the defense part of defense man . Too many on here just think they can look at the players stats and can put everything into context from their , you know the internet yahoos .

And as far as the scouting goes , i've been out evaluating players for tiering 7 of the last 9 days and have been offered other scouting jobs this summer but have declined , what have you been doing . Just cause i don't always follow the hives tight guidelines and happen to say i don't like a certain player and state the reason why you guys jump all over me .

In the last 5 years or so of Stanley cup champs " Letang " is the only d man of this sort . You don't win playoff games being a risk takers on the back end . But like i stated earlier you can have one of them on a team but no more . imo of course

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad