Prospect Info: Round 2, Pick 48, Carter Hart, G, Everett (WHL)

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Wow...there really is no original ideas anymore

Striiker just made it, thats why. 12 year olds have a lot of time on their hands.

Hart's save made #2 on ESPN's top 10, which is quite the feat these days. Sadly, his miraculous save was beaten to the #1 spot by a tall man putting a ball in a basket while no one defended him.

Ah, ESPN. Never change.

Oskar Man

Social Assassin
Nov 30, 2010
I wonder how long it'll be before Hart gets the Voracek, Ghost, Giroux, etc treatment where people want him traded for no reason at all.

In a few years when Hart's up for a new contract and there's a prospect tearing up the AHL/Juniors/Europe.

Reactions: Striiker

denominator

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2012
Fort St John
Caveat: I am not trying to stir the pot, just have a couple of legitimate talking points on Hart.

1) Are the Flyers a playoff team with Hart as the #1 from the beginning of the season? Obviously there is a lot of season left, but he looks like he's found his stride in the grind of the NHL season now, and his stats don't look primed for regression. We know he can handle a full season workload based on his Junior resume (ie - he's not coming out of college on a 34 game schedule). Is part of his performance now a factor of his 18 games in LV, or would he have the same level of play if he was the #1 or #1B at the start of the year?

2) What do the Flyers do when (if) Elliott and Neuvirth come back? Obviously Hart has outplayed them both, but do you go to a tandem of Hart/healthy veteran and try to dump the other healthy guy? Do you run 3 goalies on the roster and put Neuvirth in the press box? Or do you call the season done, give Hart the AHL team, and watch Elliott and Neuvirth undo all his work?

3) Is Hart a Calder candidate? There have been 15 goalies that won the Calder, and if we limit that to the modern(ish) era, we're left with Belfour (91), Brodeur (94), Nabokov (01), Raycroft (04), and Mason (09). Most of those guys played approximately 50-60 games in their Calder year, lowest being Brodeur at 46 and highest being Belfour at 69. Assuming Hart stays the #1 for the rest of the season, he'll be looking at a games played total of 40ish (same to assume he won't play all the games down the stretch). Brodeur put up a 27-11-8 record with 2.40/.915 to beat Jason Arnott's 33G/35A in 78 games. Projecting the rest of this season, Hart is looking at a 26-12-2 (ish) record and currently holds a 2.48/.925. There is no doubt in my mind, comparing Hart's raw numbers to past winners, he's in the Calder race. The problem is Pettersson is looking at an 80-90 point season, Dahlin is looking at a 45-50 point season, and both will have played a complete season compared to Hart's 2/3rds. Connor McDavid was in the Calder race despite having only played a half season (16G/32A in 48 games) - I think it's fair to say Hart deserves the same consideration given what he has done thus far.

Reactions: phlflyer1

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
1) I think they'd be a bubble team, while Hart would have almost definitely struggled, it seems like a foregone conclusion that he would've been better than everybody on this team
2) If the Flyers were smart, Neuvirth and Elliott are quietly LTIR'd for the season and never are heard from again
3) Right now? No, but if this keeps up, Yes I believe he should be, I still think it's Petterssons to lose, however if Hart drags this corpse of a team into the playoffs, I think he could steal it away.

Reactions: Larry44

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
The team has played better in front of him. It's also smart, in general, to limit high quality chances.

You can tell already you won't score on him unless it's a quality scoring chance/shot.

I wouldn't call last night's goal high quality, lol. But yeah, I know what you mean. It's either going to be a good shot, or a flukey goal like that one.

Reactions: Outlaw Samurai

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
I wouldn't call last night's goal high quality, lol. But yeah, I know what you mean. It's either going to be a good shot, or a flukey goal like that one.

Yeah, forgot to mention the "fluke" :laugh:

I was speaking in absolutes but obviously even Brodeur, Roy etc..let in occasional stoppable shots and I don't want to jinx him or anything.

Glad it came across the right way. Lol

Reactions: Starat327

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
oh yeah this is for the Hakstol lovers who will point to 40-save efforts as evidence that the only difference is Hart.
Should be contrarian to consider Hart anything but the biggest difference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad