Prospect Info: Round 2, Pick 34: Bobby Brink, RW, Sioux City (USHL) --> Denver (signed 4/10/22)

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
Season highlights. :nod:

That first Denver highlight at around 1:00... Nasty jock-dropping move by Bobby to create a beautiful setup and the guy hilariously flubs the shot at a worse than Haggian level. Didn't even think that was possible. Dude almost hit Bobby in the face with the shot.

Reactions: Stizzle

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He does look like mini-Claude at times. Could be that elite offensive player that people keep saying we need.

I though he was higher risk/higher upside than Caufield at the draft, b/c his skating could improve and he may end up with an extra inch and 10 lbs on Caufield - as we saw with Martel, you can be too small for the NHL.

Caufield 5'7 1/4 163
Brink 5'8 1/4 165
Brink was also 6 months younger.

The skating looks like it improved substantially, we'll see how he fills out the next few years. If he ends up 5'9 185 with that sort of balance and agility he'll be able to operate in the crowded area around the net. We're seeing that with TK this year as he's filled out, he's never going to win the majority of puck battles but he can hold his own and not get knocked off the puck. Brink seems to have the vision to thread the needle and the strong, quick hands to make plays in crowds.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
His skating looks much better. I think his fitness & strength are probably improved.

Reactions: Jtown

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'd like to see Brink spend one more year in college and continue working with Gazich.
No need to rush him, especially if they sign Laczynski and/or Allison and have a talented small RW in Kase on the edge of the NHL.

Reactions: Devonator

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Interesting comments from Brink's coach....
NFLMLBNBANHLCFBGOLFPLNAS

BOBBY BRINKRW, PHILADELPHIA FLYERS
Although there have been questions about Bobby Brink's skating abilities, University of Denver head coach David Carle has very high hopes for Brink.

Brink had 11 goals and 24 points in 28 NCAA games with Denver as a freshman this season. He was taken by the Philadelphia Flyers with the 34th overall pick in the 2019 NHL Entry Draft. His skating sometimes draws criticisms, but that reminds Carle of another former University of Denver player. "People said Paul Stastny was a bad skater, too, during his time at Denver," Carle said. "And similar in the sense that Paul was passed over for some USA stuff early on in his career at the same age as Bob. Paul has gone on to do pretty well for himself because of his brain and his understanding of the game. And I think Bob is going to end up being a better skater than Stas, but my point is, you can’t discount [Brink’s] hockey sense, which is elite.” Brink will stick with the University of Denver in 2020-21 to further hone his game. He'll be worth keeping an eye on when he turns pro.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
It's true, his skating was very weak in his draft year, which is how we got him. It's still a visible weakness imo, but the amount it's improved over a single year is exciting and removes most or all of the doubt I had that he may not be able to clean it all up. On top of that, he looks to have picked up some really nasty little tricks with his edgework and that to me ads a whole extra dimension to his deceptive ability and already robust offensive toolset.

In terms of his time projection, it's tough to say... We're finally entering this phase of system rebuilding that has our NHL roster loaded with young talent, right to the brim basically, all while having home brewed prospects starting to pile up in the AHL waiting for their shots. It's been a slow and long time coming, but Brink is looking to be the first high end forward prospect to have to overcome notable competition to break the big team.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
It's true, his skating was very weak in his draft year, which is how we got him. It's still a visible weakness imo, but the amount it's improved over a single year is exciting and removes most or all of the doubt I had that he may not be able to clean it all up. On top of that, he looks to have picked up some really nasty little tricks with his edgework and that to me ads a whole extra dimension to his deceptive ability and already robust offensive toolset.

In terms of his time projection, it's tough to say... We're finally entering this phase of system rebuilding that has our NHL roster loaded with young talent, right to the brim basically, all while having home brewed prospects starting to pile up in the AHL waiting for their shots. It's been a slow and long time coming, but Brink is looking to be the first high end forward prospect to have to overcome notable competition to break the big team.
Once he starts shaving, he's going to be a star! Pu-ber-ty! Pu-ber-ty!

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Crazy to me that in 2019-2020 some of those videos of that kid look like they were shot with 20 year old equipment still for D1 programs.

It surprises me that NCAA hockey is behind wrestling in video quality.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
What's the latest on Bobby Orr Brink?

Why was he not invited to development camp?

Seems like a forgotten prospect for us lately.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad