Prospect Info: Round 2, Pick 34: Bobby Brink, RW, Sioux City (USHL) --> Denver (signed 4/10/22)

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
He's a 5'7" slow winger. Let's not go overboard about his dominance in the possession game. Again, I am happy with the pick, despite efforts to paint it otherwise. I just think he's a little overhyped on here.

By what percentage would you consider him overhyped? Where do you think the hype projects him verse where you think he should be projected.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Like I said, I was happy with the pick (for round 2). He has tremendous hands. But despite his phenomenal stats this season, I have some concerns and I'm really curious to see what he does this season. Hopefully he's not another Pavel Brendl.

What the hell does Pavel Brendl have to do with anything? They don't have anything in common, aside from being wingers with questionable skating.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
He better. I put my stellar reputation on the line for that prepubescent punk

He just does a lot of very good things for his hockey club. He's such an effective player, and he's tenacious. He is a guy that adds value to your lineup even if he's not relied on to be a primary goal scorer. To me, he's got legit top 6 potential, meaning if all goes right he can be a guy who can play ~14min a night on a scoring line at 5v5 and can become a very effective powerplay producer topping out around 60 points.

The only hesitancy I have is his size, not that it concerns me specifically. Size does matter in physical sports; however, it's significantly overvalued by 'hockey guys' who make roster decisions. If he's not scoring goals, I fear he'll be viewed as a liability, even if he's not.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If Brink isn't a top offensive player, he'll be a liability, both his size and his skating (which should improve, but he's not going to be a speed demon).

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
QUOTE="VladDrag, post: 163661221, member: 298321"]He just does a lot of very good things for his hockey club. He's such an effective player, and he's tenacious. He is a guy that adds value to your lineup even if he's not relied on to be a primary goal scorer. To me, he's got legit top 6 potential, meaning if all goes right he can be a guy who can play ~14min a night on a scoring line at 5v5 and can become a very effective powerplay producer topping out around 60 points.

The only hesitancy I have is his size, not that it concerns me specifically. Size does matter in physical sports; however, it's significantly overvalued by 'hockey guys' who make roster decisions. If he's not scoring goals, I fear he'll be viewed as a liability, even if he's not.[/QUOTE]

A “Hockey Guy” has responded to this real fast:

E35375C9-0031-4A25-A985-640D4C5C374C.jpeg

Brink is one of those players who is useful because of his tenacity/compete level. If he isn’t scoring, he impacts the game in other ways: winning battles, cycling the puck, creating space for himself & his teammates with his deception, forechecking, and through his back-checking.

The idea that he’ll be a liability if he isn’t scoring or that he’s a “one zone player” has a whiff of: “I’ve only seen him play a few times and I’m basing my critiques/player projections off of this limited sample size.”

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The idea that he’ll be a liability if he isn’t scoring or that he’s a “one zone player” has a whiff of: “I’ve only seen him play a few times and I’m basing my critiques/player projections off of this limited sample size.”

More like “I’ve never seen him play at all, but I read his height and weight in an article somewhere”. :laugh:

Size based stereotypes are super popular around here.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
QUOTE="VladDrag, post: 163661221, member: 298321"]

No, it's simply a reflection that it's hard to come up with a grossly undersized player (though he may fill out to 180+ and merely be undersized) with average speed who has much of an impact outside of scoring. Doesn't matter how tenacious he is, at the NHL level he's not going to win board battles, he's going to be knocked off the puck and he'll struggle defensively (stick checking requires the speed to get into position, otherwise you pick up a lot of hooking and slashing penalties as you try to use your stick to make up for your lack of speed).

We've seen this with Weal. We've seen a faster, grossly undersized player in Martel struggle.

Now I don't think it's an issue because Brink has shown an exceptional offensive skill package other than skating, and his skating can improve enough to be serviceable, GIVEN his other skills. But without those offensive skills, no one is drafting Brink to play on their bottom six.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
More like “I’ve never seen him play at all, but I read his height and weight in an article somewhere”. :laugh:

Size based stereotypes are super popular around here.

Lol.

Size can be advantageous in hockey. How advantageous is entirely up for debate. Plenty of small players win 50/50 battles and are strong on the puck due to their ability to maintain a strong hockey position: keeping a wide base, nose over the puck, & being strong on their skates. Hockey players have a lot of their weight in their legs. If you’re lower body is strong, you can win most of your battles/maintain puck possession under heavy pressure (if you’re a big or small hockey player).

Reactions: macleish1974

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
First, define small. Too many people equate short with small, which is not the case at all.
In the same fashion, tall but thin is not big, Sanheim gets pushed around b/c of his high center of gravity and needs more mass/strength (and power in his lower body) to stand his ground.

Short does limit you in one dimension, you're going to have a smaller reach radius. Which requires more speed to reach the puck.
However, short and stout can give you a leverage advantage, Kimmo certainly took advantage of his build.

Small to me is lack of mass. Basic physics, force = mass x acceleration.

Brink is very small, it remains to be seen how much he can fill out.
Right now he's listed at 5'7 159, that's smaller than Martel who got shoved around.
If he can carry 180 he can hold his ground more or less, at 170 he's going to struggle.

Guys like Gaudreau compensate with quickness and agility, but if Johnny Hockey didn't have great offensive skills, would he even be in the NHL?

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Right now he's listed at 5'7 159, that's smaller than Martel who got shoved around.

For someone who loves to inflate players’ heights and weights and projects they will grow 29 inches and 500lbs, Brink is actually 5’8.5 and 165 lbs. And if anyone can get the benefit of the doubt, physically speaking, that they have a lot of maturation left.....

but if Johnny Hockey didn't have great offensive skills, would he even be in the NHL?

If Superman didn’t have superpowers would he even be a superhero?

Reactions: landsbergfan

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
For someone who loves to inflate players’ heights and weights and projects they will grow 29 inches and 500lbs, Brink is actually 5’8.5 and 165 lbs. And if anyone can get the benefit of the doubt, physically speaking, that they have a lot of maturation left.....

If Superman didn’t have superpowers would he even be a superhero?

I made the mistake of using EP's numbers, they usually use the combine number.

Actually 5'8 1/4 and 165 lbs at the combine. I saw you giving him that extra 1/4 inch! :sarcasm:

Like I said, if he can carry 180+ lbs without slowing down, he'll just be small, not "very" small. A tad bit larger than Martel.
And no one has ever suggested that Martel's road to the NHL lies in his forechecking skills.

I like Brink, I think he'll fill out and improve his skating, if he works at it he may become adequate on defense, I expect no more.
Which is fine, top scorers don't have to be Selke candidates, they just should avoid being serious liabilities on defense.
It's his hockey IQ, vision, passing skills and shot that are the key to his future.

And if Superman didn't have superpowers, he'd be Clark Kent full time.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

More than a whiff. You can smell that pile of shit from a mile away.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
So, has anyone come up with a 5'8 180 lb forward with average speed and offensive skills in the NHL?

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
By what percentage would you consider him overhyped? Where do you think the hype projects him verse where you think he should be projected.
Just a general feeling I get after reading the prospect ranking threads. There isn’t a set measurable mathematical percentage of overhype, & different fans rate him differently. But I think many have extremely high expectations that probably should be tempered a bit, at least until we see his freshman season in college.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Remember how certain people were constantly squawking that Sanheim was being overrated?

And then how Sanheim proved why he was being thought of so highly as soon as Hak stopped screwing him?

I wonder if those people ever stop and think "oh hey... maybe these people hyping up prospects actually know what they're talking about..."?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Who said Sanheim was overrated?

upload_2019-8-6_17-48-45.jpeg

Struggling to climb the learning curve (which he did for a while, and Myers did in the spring) doesn't mean you're not talented, it just means you're not going to be an instant success.

And I'm still waiting for the list of NHL players who are 5'8 180 with average speed and average offensive skills.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
Who said Sanheim was overrated?

View attachment 248379

Struggling to climb the learning curve (which he did for a while, and Myers did in the spring) doesn't mean you're not talented, it just means you're not going to be an instant success.

And I'm still waiting for the list of NHL players who are 5'8 180 with average speed and average offensive skills.
Are you saying you think Brink has average offensive skills? Average compared to what? Physical skills like hard shot and stick handling or mental like vision and iq.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->