Pre-Game Talk: Round 2 | Penguins vs Capitals/Flyers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
The Sid/Kessel play isn't on purpose. I think they found it just by accident. I can remember the one going off Sid's body and now they look for it. :laugh: Originally they wanted kessel to shoot. Now, it's the backdoor play. And a defender has to follow him which also opens up hornqvist , too. It's a crazy thing they found, but they found it at the right time.

Nobody ever thought or drew up the play where Kessel shoots it at Sid for multiple goals.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
:amazed:
Does this extend to the Blues and Hawks?

Or should we be wanting the Hawks (should we get that far) and show that we've got to be the ones to knock the Emperors (should we get that far) off of their throne?
No no no no no. Do not want the Hawks. That's the real best team right there.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
So the key to working a PP is Sidney Crosby goes in front of the net and Kessel shoots at Crosby. Every time he hits Crosby on the PP is a hotdog

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I think it has 3 plays now.

1) Geno shoot. Shoot more. Shoot everybody.

2) Kessel to Sid backdoor. It's basically a shot at sid's skates/legs for a deflection.

3) Letang dead center shot w/ horny screening.

We never had 3 options. :laugh:
I really wish that when Sid has the puck plays were made to Hornqvist or Kessel back door too.

I would love to see Kessels shot utilized off set plays on faceoffs like Neals shot was.

Malkins shot needs to be set up by Kessel... Not at the point but through the box. That pass opens up the goalie by forcing him to go side to side. Malkins shot then has more net to find.

When plays are down low and defenses collapse Letang needs to jump into the high slot and get his wrist shot off.

I would like to see Sid and Kessel play quiet zone to quiet zone with passes along the back boards.

I would love to see Crosby set up for the Hossa power cut to the net every once in a while.

Last edited:

JakeNBake59

WizardofFire
Feb 20, 2016
Crosby's back yard
To me the biggest change in the PP, the first 2/3 games of the series there was no real movement, they all seemed very static.

The last two games, it seems more fluid

BigBadBoris

Apr 3, 2012
I think it has 3 plays now.

1) Geno shoot. Shoot more. Shoot everybody.

2) Kessel to Sid backdoor. It's basically a shot at sid's skates/legs for a deflection.

3) Letang dead center shot w/ horny screening.

We never had 3 options. :laugh:

Good points. Think about if Kessel ever learns to shoot one- timers :nod:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
After thinking about it, I'm honestly not scared of the Capitals that much. They haven't played well in the 1st round for the most part, their ES goal scoring is almost non existent (only averaging 1 ES goal per game) and that's against a team with an worse defense and goalie than the Rangers. The Pens, for comparison, are averaging 2.6 ES goals/game and even more PP goals per game than the Capitals. Ovechkin also was completely shut down in the regular season against the Pens, he finished with 0 points in the 5 game series. If the Pens can shut down Ovi like they did in the regular season, I don't think this will be anything more than a 6 game win for the Penguins.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Is Ovechkin playing with an injury? He hasn't looked quite right for a while.

I don't mean to sound cocky... but I'm just not thinking too much about matchups. If the Penguins continue to play the way they are capable of playing against ANY team... it won't matter too much. There are issues but they don't seem to be glaring, potentially series-crippling issues as in past years.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Since March 1st:

Caps 50 goals in 20 games. 2.5 goals per game.
Pens 81 goals in 21 games. A shade under 4 goals per game.

And the power play sucked for many of those games for the Pens.

In the playoffs the Pens scored at a even higher pace, 21 goals in five games. 4.2 goals a game.

Take away the Caps power play and the Caps do not score that much. The Pens have one of the best penalty kills in hockey.

On paper at least we are a nightmare matchup.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Since March 1st:

In the playoffs the Pens scored at a even higher pace, 21 goals in five games. 4.2 goals a game.

Take away the Caps power play and the Caps do not score that much. The Pens have one of the best penalty kills in hockey.

Don't worry....Caps are just waiting to turn it on.

Any day now.....

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Funny because if this team had been together all year playing for Sullivan the Pens would be overwhelming favorites. Because of the start of the year under Johnson, because of the Pens' history of underwhelming playoffs, the Pens have been dominating and going under the radar at the same time.

It is not that the Pens are good, we are told, but that the Rangers who were one of the better scoring teams in the league and had north of 100 points are bad.

They likely are strong underdogs if the end up against the Caps.

M0NTY26

Force from Ma'gorsk
Feb 27, 2010
So, I'll blame it on old age, but I honestly, for the life of me, couldn't piece together our opening night roster this year. It's quite amazing what has changed.

Kunitz-Crosby-Kessel
Plotnikov-Malkin-Hornqvist
Bennet-Bonino-Perron
Farnham-Cullen-Sprong

Pretty remarkable job JR has done, along with the kids.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
So, I'll blame it on old age, but I honestly, for the life of me, couldn't piece together our opening night roster this year. It's quite amazing what has changed.

Kunitz-Crosby-Kessel
Plotnikov-Malkin-Hornqvist
Bennet-Bonino-Perron
Farnham-Cullen-Sprong

Pretty remarkable job JR has done, along with the kids.

Farnham would be amazing for this team.:cry: He would put his heart on his sleeve.

BeatenLikeRentedMule

Mar 9, 2016
Super Mario Land
Since March 1st:

True but I would factor in the Caps were coasting towards the end of the season after they clinched the top seed. Pens were playing hard until game 81.

The Caps are also slow to start games like the Pens. Pens are great in the 2nd period and Caps dominate the 3rd periods. If it wasn't for Neuvirth's performance last game, Philly would by playing golf today.

Pens better not play 3rd periods like yesterday against the Caps. And we need to attack harder in the 1st period when Caps are at their worst.

We should stick with Murray in net. Go with what got you here. A rusty Fluery is asking for a disaster.

BeatenLikeRentedMule

Mar 9, 2016
Super Mario Land
Funny because if this team had been together all year playing for Sullivan the Pens would be overwhelming favorites. Because of the start of the year under Johnson, because of the Pens' history of underwhelming playoffs, the Pens have been dominating and going under the radar at the same time.

It is not that the Pens are good, we are told, but that the Rangers who were one of the better scoring teams in the league and had north of 100 points are bad.

They likely are strong underdogs if the end up against the Caps.

Don't forget the acquisitions of Daley, Hagelin along with Sheary, Rust and the other WBS guys really putting this team over the top.

Oh, you said "if this team had been together". My bad. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->