Pre-Game Talk: Round 2 | Penguins vs Capitals/Flyers

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Pens on rest has been proven to be interesting :laugh: They aren't exactly fast starters after resting. They had a lull in almost 2 full games against the Rangers until they found their form. They did it during the regular season, too. I remember we had a 3 day off period then played the Devils I believe and got shut out.

This had far more to do with a shift in style for who was in net. It wasn't coincidence that they suddenly returned to form when Murray went between the pipes.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
This year's been alot of fun.
I'm satisified but i hope that dressing room isn't.
I want the fun to continue.
Why not us!?

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
is it too early to start with the Sundqvist>Kunitz talk?

Related to this is Malkin is going to be getting healthier and needing more 5v5 minutes. Is he going to be saddled with Kunitz going forward? I think so, unless Bennett or Sundqvist play.

mgd525

May 18, 2007
I think we are capable of beating the Caps. Some things need to change for that to happen though.

The Pens have to be a lot more careful when they dump the puck in to make sure they don't over skate and it leads to a fast break the other way. Several times a Rangers defensemen got the puck with 2 of our forwards trapped back behind them. The Rangers were not good enough to capitalize on it for the most part.

The powerplay- I don't care how many goals we had on it this series. The Rangers pk was awful. I will be interested to see how they do vs The Caps Pk. I have a feeling we will be back to swearing at the tv.

I am really not looking forward to Wilson, AO ect... Charging and boarding Letang. If he gets hurt we are done.

5 on 5 I think we will do very well.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Related to this is Malkin is going to be getting healthier and needing more 5v5 minutes. Is he going to be saddled with Kunitz going forward? I think so, unless Bennett or Sundqvist play.

Kunitz played 5 games vs the Caps and averaged about 17 minutes, on the top line, no less, even with some PP time... ... sundqvist played a grand total of 18 minutes... 18 4th line minutes at that... they both had 1 point... sundqvist had 3 hits in his 18 minutes... kunitz averaged about 3.6 hits per game... based mostly off of the one game he had 8 hits in... there were two he had none in... he was also held without a shot in three caps games... Sundqvist had one in each of the two games he made appearances in, and he can take faceoffs, unlike Kunitz

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Pens on rest has been proven to be interesting :laugh: They aren't exactly fast starters after resting. They had a lull in almost 2 full games against the Rangers until they found their form. They did it during the regular season, too. I remember we had a 3 day off period then played the Devils I believe and got shut out.

They should have a couple high tempo practices during the layoff. If they start on the road it could benefit them more too.

Last edited:

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
I think if MAF is good to go at the start of a series then we should start him to find out where he is. If he can go but can't perform, then we have MM. If we start MM and he is off or has a lapse, then turn to MAF who is rusty,..it could really **** with team psychology. I guess I am of the school that if MAF gets the green light at the start of a series then we need to know immediately if he is in game shape.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I think if MAF is good to go at the start of a series then we should start him to find out where he is. If he can go but can't perform, then we have MM. If we start MM and he is off or has a lapse, then turn to MAF who is rusty,..it could really **** with team psychology. I guess I am of the school that if MAF gets the green light at the start of a series then we need to know immediately if he is in game shape.

Why would you potentially drop a game (against the Caps no less) for the sake of that? They'd have a pretty good idea going into any real games anyways even if they wanted to play Fleury. If he played it wouldn't be for curiosity's sake. There's no reason to get all creative with the starting goalies. Murray is the starter until he shows he needs to be pulled. **** happens. It's the playoffs. I love Fleury but Murray is getting it done and pretty much playing mistake free goal. Why mess around in the middle of a playoff run where we could really do something special?

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa

I don't rush MAf back till I am certain he is ready. And I'm not sure I start the Caps series with him... Murray is playing too good to just pull him... there will be a chance to insert MAF after a loss or quick turnaround... its inevitably going to happen... The caps gave Murray one of his losses, but still he played well vs them.

This just gives us the option to be extra careful with MAF

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Let me say that the Caps team is far better on the Pk and PP than the rags were... we will soon find out if the special teams are really fixed or it was just smoke and mirrors illusions of playing a poor Pk team

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Let me say that the Caps team is far better on the Pk and PP than the rags were... we will soon find out if the special teams are really fixed or it was just smoke and mirrors illusions of playing a poor Pk team

Our PP normally sucks against even bad PK's though.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
I don't rush MAf back till I am certain he is ready. And I'm not sure I start the Caps series with him... Murray is playing too good to just pull him... there will be a chance to insert MAF after a loss or quick turnaround... its inevitably going to happen... The caps gave Murray one of his losses, but still he played well vs them.

This just gives us the option to be extra careful with MAF

I agree with being careful with MAF and not rushing him, but if/when he is good to go I think he is our #1. As it relates to when to start him, I would prefer at the start of a series instead of throwing him in the middle of a series.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

They've also been underwhelming at ES for such a dominant team these playoffs (1ESG/G) and our PK is dangerous. Shutdown their PP and win the ES war.

The Pens' PP is a fickle creature anyway. It could have fallen apart against the Rangers, the success could carry on against Washington or it could be useless again. I'm not sure the Caps would have a lot to do with it.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Our powerplay seems to basically be connected to Geno. His shot is a weapon who's importance can not be overstated.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Our powerplay seems to basically be connected to Geno. His shot is a weapon who's importance can not be overstated.

I think it has 3 plays now.

1) Geno shoot. Shoot more. Shoot everybody.

2) Kessel to Sid backdoor. It's basically a shot at sid's skates/legs for a deflection.

3) Letang dead center shot w/ horny screening.

We never had 3 options. :laugh:

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
:laugh: Yeah from what i can remember those are the only three ways we scored pp goals in the series.

In the regular season when geno was healthy it was mainly option 1 and 3.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

I think he's a big part of it, but the damn thing has been bipolar for years with and without him. Their whole thing is PP1 overloading on talent to overwhelm the other team and having Malkin helps with that. Sometimes it's clicking and other times it's two minutes of their obsession with perfect plays while not being bothered to move.

I also don't think that anyone is the PP wizard you'd expect from their talent level. Malkin is the best out of them but even then he'll fall into the same trap and be part of the problem. I think the root of the issue is bigger than the players and probably the coaches, tbh. Maybe they've finally stumbled onto something that will work consistently and not screw up their confidence, idk.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Rather than making pretty plays just keep giving the puck too Geno so he can blast it. Seems like 1 in 3 of his shots have been going in. With Horny in front of the net its profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->