Series Discussion: Round 2 (Caps vs Penguins) 2016 Playoffs (Pens fans, read note in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
RH, not a good night for yer boy.

So, what's next for this bunch? Changes? Firing anyone? just suck it up and wait on next year as if this repetitiveness causes no lasting damage?

Its the Capitals. Its a surprise if they win. They don't. If you are sick of it, stop. Ive tried. Will try again if they lose.

again...where are all those guys that wanted to play Pittsburgh?

Barry stays. Not defending him but he stays. Mojo, Orlov, Richards i'm guessing are gone. Chimmer needs to go but i'm guessing he stays. GMBM is going to have a tough offseason. He will be limited, but he needs to make some moves.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
I feel so bad for Ovechkin. Not many "prime" years left for him.

I don't feel bad for him. He is the Captain, his legacy, and he has played a major role every step of the way. He couldn't turn it on for just 1 period tonight like he did in the 3rd in game 3? This team is a reflection of its Captain.

Ovechkin

Sep 14, 2005
Which number do you think matters most right now:

A) Being down 3-1 in the series
B) About to not make it out of the 2nd round yet again
C) Season ticket renewal numbers for next season

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
its funny. people insist that the history of playoff failures doesn't effect each succeeding team that then pulls the same choking failure. they have to feel it and it has to weigh on them.'

Just look at Justin Williams. He's a playoff god and for the Caps he downright sucks.

Where does Kuzy go from here? His nhl experience is blowing a 3-1 lead in playoff season 1 and then failing to make it out of the 2nd round with the best team in the league while he personally full on vapor locks.

Dobe*

Should've poached Daley from Chicago. Puck movement from the back end matters.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Please sound off if you were spouting that "regular season losses down the stretch mean nothing" garbage. I said it then I'll say it now. It mattered.

Well the coaching is the problem. If Trotz is calling Babcock asking him how to handle a team that has locked up the Presidents then he has no clue on how to coach in that scenario and it has cost us.

maybam

Mar 30, 2010
I'm actually kind of glad that that idiotic lineup change has blown up in the the coaching staffs face. Whatever Schmidt did to get scratched was no where near as bad as what Weber just did.

On the bright side, our window is two years. Make adjustments this off season and get back to it next year.

WcRoenick97

Apr 6, 2008
D.C.
No, the regular season does not matter. Whether this team is hot going into the playoffs or cold, it doesn't matter. This team will always choke. This is the best Caps team of all time and they get shut down by a slightly above average version of their arch nemesis. It's pathetic.

Sep 19, 2008
Positive : pens blew 3-1 lead last season to Rangers

Negative : this pens team is the hottest in the nhl and has dominated the caps. You better hope this series go six.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Please sound off if you were spouting that "regular season losses down the stretch mean nothing" garbage. I said it then I'll say it now. It mattered.

Damn straight it matter. And to think those of us harping about their play down the stretch were shouted down as doom and gloom. A team with a history of not being able to flip a switch in the playoffs, with a 3-1 lead, to finish off their opponent was suddenly going to flip the switch this year? Sure.

Having said that, they have 1 more game to prove all the naysayers wrong. Not going to hold my breath though. Because its the Caps.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
The issue is all offense. This D is plenty good--and we never get to OT--if they could score goals. Just look at the Pens D.

Yes, again... offense in playoffs sucks.

21 goals in 10 games in the playoffs. Doing nothing on the PP at all.

I said it at the beginning of the year - last 3 playoffs before this we score an avg of exactly 2 goals/game basically.

Same ****, different year. Holby came into these playoffs with best GAA/save percentage in NHL history in the modern era - yet he was under .500.

This year Holtby has been incredible. Under 2 GAA once again, super high save percentage, and is 5-5 in the playoffs.

Caps can't keep thinking Ovi's line is the only line to score goals. We need somone on the 2nd line to score goals. Kuzy is a pass first guy (1 goal in last 31 games). He has no help and this scoring goal **** is failing once again.

If you can't score goals - then you can't have a third D line costing the team games. If they wanted to roll out this year with no improvements on offense (adding Williams and Oshie and losing Fehr, Ward, and Brouwer who were all 20 goal scorers here didn't improve the team), then you have to keep the D great. Losing Mike Green and expecting a guy like Orlov to be the difference was a fail by the GM.

This team is not coming back 3-1. Other teams don't choke. Suck that it's 3 games between games now b/c I just want to be put out of my misery.

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
working on mezcal. haven't had enough yet.

trotz is the orchestra leader, but he's got a bunch of coaches who are supposed to manage specific aspects of the game ... surely part of the responsibility for preparation and in-game/in-series adjustment falls on Reirdan and Lambert.

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
1 point for lose in OT so it's not bad :sarcasm:

Anyway, right now I have absolutely no faith in this team. They can't win single a single game and they won't win 3 in row, period.

I think I'll jump on Preds bandwagon

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
its funny. people insist that the history of playoff failures doesn't effect each succeeding team that then pulls the same choking failure. they have to feel it and it has to weigh on them.'

Just look at Justin Williams. He's a playoff god and for the Caps he downright sucks.

Where does Kuzy go from here? His nhl experience is blowing a 3-1 lead in playoff season 1 and then failing to make it out of the 2nd round with the best team in the league while he personally full on vapor locks.

And then look at Troy Brouwer blowing up with huge goals for St Louis.

The Caps are toxic!

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
No, the regular season does not matter. Whether this team is hot going into the playoffs or cold, it doesn't matter. This team will always choke. This is the best Caps team of all time and they get shut down by a slightly above average version of their arch nemesis. It's pathetic.

was.

was the best caps team but they haven't played like that since pre ASG.

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
Mojo will get paid, and i don't want Orlov after his latest performance.

I hope for Orlov is that he goes to another team...I think he will be a heck of a player...I think Barry beat every last ounce of confidence out of Orlov this season and he will never play well consistently under Trotz.

Tweedsuitcase

Sep 28, 2009
Which number do you think matters most right now:

A) Being down 3-1 in the series
B) About to not make it out of the 2nd round yet again
C) Season ticket renewal numbers for next season
C!
It's downright embarrassing being a fan of this team.
I don't even know what to say right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad