Prospect Info: Round 2, 46th Overall - Samu Tuomaala (RW) - Karpat Jr. -- 5'10", 179 pounds

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
This pick is very Fletcher/Flahr to me, at least in their Flyers tenures. Concerning the draft, they don't seem to be terribly concerned with forward size and they value scoring talent. They just acquired Atkinson too for good measure. Between Brink, McClennon, Tuomaala, Wisdom, Foerster (not so much size here).....there's some loose commonalities, even if some are better passers than others.

Though none seem allergic to contact.
This is a TB thing, smaller forwards, bigger D-men.

Reactions: Hexxxy

MMANumminen

May 7, 2010
Political prisoner
I was very high on this kid but when getting to higher levels, his weaknesses started to show. He is not involved enough, plays too much on the perimeter. He has always leaned to his elite shot. It is not enough in Liiga, yet the NHL. Nice pick anyway, high risk high reward

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I was very high on this kid but when getting to higher levels, his weaknesses started to show. He is not involved enough, plays too much on the perimeter. He has always leaned to his elite shot. It is not enough in Liiga, yet the NHL. Nice pick anyway, high risk high reward

He’s played 5 Liiga games……not sure what there is to glean from that.

That said, he has a propensity for low % shots in my watches. I would call his playmaking a bit lacking. I never thought he was perimeter or uninvolved mentally — I do think his decision making could stand to improve to make a more consistent impact on his shifts. I think he has solid feel off-puck for getting into spots. But a few more smart, simple passes would go a long way to getting the puck into scoring areas.

Reactions: mattihp and SanBlom

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
I was pretty shocked to see as many of you disappointed in this pick, he’s got some serious skills. Very much so a player you take a chance on in the second round.

Shocked? Well... his teammate, Koivunen, outscored him in his first season in the league and was selected a bit after. Also, Stankoven was a big name to pass on.

The GM's been pissing away picks, so the pressure's on to hit on those kept. Not much optimism in this year's class aside from maybe this pick.

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
I think the kid was ranked to go in the first round in many mock drafts.

It almost feels like it could be a steal of a pick if he develops properly over in Finland.

Another good find by CF and the scouting staff.
Question....has there ever been a 2nd round pick by any team, in any year that was NOT supposed to go in the 1st!?

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Shocked? Well... his teammate, Koivunen, outscored him in his first season in the league and was selected a bit after. Also, Stankoven was a big name to pass on.

The GM's been pissing away picks, so the pressure's on to hit on those kept. Not much optimism in this year's class aside from maybe this pick.

4th round guys and later are up against big odds to make a NHL roster. If you hit on a guy that late then it is just a bonus. This wasn’t supposed to be a deep draft anyway was it?

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
4th round guys and later are up against big odds to make a NHL roster. If you hit on a guy that late then it is just a bonus. This wasn’t supposed to be a deep draft anyway was it?

He's a second round pick. But yeah, it's hard to find NHL talent in the draft after the first. Just seems like the Flyers neither put in the work nor gave themselves enough opportunities to find good prospects.

Reactions: Striiker

DeweyCrowe

Jun 23, 2019
I'd have taken Stankoven, Raty, Chibrakov, Koivunen before Tuomaala but would have been pleased to get Tuomaala at 46 if I didn't know those other guys were still on the board (I didn't expect them to be other than possibly Koivunen). I wouldn't have been disappointed with Stankoven or Raty at 13. Watching the first half of yesterday's Sweden game, Tuomaala looked like a steal. The 2nd half of that game, not so much. Was disappointing today. He stands around a lot and doesn't do much without the puck on his stick. Definitely has skill when he has the puck but will need a lot of work on his game. Koivunen was really impressive in the u18s but doesn't seem the same here (only two games). First time seeing Raty play full games and he looks pretty good so far. Oliver Kapanen has been good as well, nothing too exciting but looks like a solid pick who plays all situations, hard at both ends and also has some skill.

Emil Andrae looked good yesterday against Finland. He and Tuomalla almost got into it at the end of the game when Finland scored an empty netter. Subtle action by Raty that I liked was that after scoring his 4th goal via empty net, he immediately went to help Tuomaala when he saw them shoving.

Lysell didn't have a great game but you could see some flashes of an explosive player. Rosen was solid, scored and was noticeable when on the ice, definitely someone Finland had to keep their eyes on. I'm surprised he was ranked lower by many outlets. I don't think he was a reach like some say. He was really good at the u18s and could have put up some more points there if it wasn't for some bad luck. I'd have a tough time choosing between him and Lysell, Rosen was probably more impressive in my viewings but Lysell could be a star.

Not pretending to know more than anyone just noting what I had seen.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Not that it's totally relevant, but I still remember when Elias Pettersson, as an early birthday, in the WJSS had 0 points in 5 games. 18 Swedish players scored more points than him. You can imagine the reactions. :laugh:

Frederick Karlstrom led the team with 6 points in 5 games; followed by Oskar Steen and Lias Andersson with 4 points.

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
It just seems like Samu, like any prospect has areas where he needs development. He’s a shoot first guy. Passing is
An area that needs improvement. Watching some of those Montreal forwards, pass, get puck back, shoot, score, on their playoff run. I’m sure Samu will figure things out. Sit him down, make him watch Voracek videos.

Reactions: macleish1974

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
So why did they pass on Raty? Raty was by most accounts a mid 1st round pick.

Because it looked like he sucked at the sport of hockey this season, despite athleticism and motor. Absolutely one of my worst watches. Fumbly with the puck, little skill shown, hot potato passes, zero poise. Looked like the antithesis of an NHLer. I wouldn’t change my mind over a summer game.

Raty was by no accounts a mid-1st. His stock dropped like a rock. The Islanders love drafting tools/no toolbox, so it’s a perfect fit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->