Prospect Info: Round 2, 46th Overall - Samu Tuomaala (RW) - Karpat Jr. -- 5'10", 179 pounds

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Really liked Stankoven ...... but this kid looks very good with good upside as well to play in your top 6
Hockey News had him at 28, just took a quick look through some others and he’s in that late 1st/early 2nd range. We’ll see, a small quick sniper is a good project.

Reactions: BiggE and Tripod

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Good with the pick. Has as much upside as probably anyone they could’ve taken. Great shot, so he at least has one standout skill. Really good in international play.

Confused by his good but not great Finnish Jr. production. Maybe he had Covid or was battling something else.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
This Tuomaala pick by Fletcher seems like a blind pick.

Since when did the Flyers have a Finnish scout.
Blind pick? Are you joking? He played at the U18 tournament at the end of the season and was one of the leading scorers. And the Flyers DO have a Finnish scout, in addition to other connections that give them reports on Finnish players.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Blind pick? Are you joking? He played at the U18 tournament at the end of the season and was one of the leading scorers. And the Flyers DO have a Finnish scout, in addition to other connections that give them reports on Finnish players.
Who is their Finnish scout?

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Forget his name. Hired him 2 or 3 years ago. I guess he's still doing it. But they also have connections with guys in Finland who give them reports, like Nitty did for years.
Im not discounting Tuomaala as a player, from what I’ve read it seems like a good pick by the Flyers, but it doesn’t have that Fletcher pick to it though.

It’s been awhile since the Flyers have even drafted a Finnish player, it’s about time.

Reactions: Rebels57

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
it doesn’t have that Fletcher pick to it though.

This pick is very Fletcher/Flahr to me, at least in their Flyers tenures. Concerning the draft, they don't seem to be terribly concerned with forward size and they value scoring talent. They just acquired Atkinson too for good measure. Between Brink, McClennon, Tuomaala, Wisdom, Foerster (not so much size here).....there's some loose commonalities, even if some are better passers than others.

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
I had Tuomaala at #33, Stankoven at #32 and Raty at #34.
This was my pre draft take:
1. Samu Tuomaala RW 5’10 174 Tuomaala is a small speedy sniper type winger who has good playmaking skills. He is very adept at backing defenders off with his skating a creating shooting lanes. He is a volume shooter who while a sniper type, doesn’t have a real high end shot. He is quick to jump on pucks. He needs to work on his playmaking as he seems to mostly see and think shot. The Flyers don’t draft Finns usually, and I wouldn’t expect them to draft Tuomaala.

Get that last sentence. LOL

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Though I was a little disappointed by Tuomaala’s jr. stats this season, for several years Finland has seemed to rate him more highly than the other (non-Raty) Finnish forwards in this draft, which I take as a positive.

As I said, it’s very possible he was dealing with an unknown issue this season that impacted his production. He certainly didn’t have any issues at the U18 Worlds at the end of the season, & he’s always put up very good international numbers.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Forget his name. Hired him 2 or 3 years ago. I guess he's still doing it. But they also have connections with guys in Finland who give them reports, like Nitty did for years.
It wasn’t that long ago. Whoever Hextall hired only lasted a year I think. Fletcher hired a new one.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad