Prospect Info: Round 2, 46th Overall - Samu Tuomaala (RW) - Karpat Jr. -- 5'10", 179 pounds

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Finnish forward Samu Tuomaala had one of the standout performances of the recent IIHF Under 18 World Championships putting up five goals and six assists for 11 points in seven games. He was named a Top 3 Player on Finland by the team’s coaches. Tuomaala was also named to the Tournament All-Star Team. He was coming off a strong season in the Karpat system in Finland. While Tuomaala didn’t pick up a point in five games in the SM-Liiga, he did a lot better in the Finnish Under-20 league. He scored 15 goals and 16 assists for 31 points in 30 games. He also had four points in five playoff games.

2021 NHL Draft #34: Samu Tuomaala Scouting Report

================

Mod edit:

Last edited by a moderator:

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Tuomaala is talented but I could never get on board because he was outproduced by a good bit by his own teammate, who was a rookie in the league and younger.

upload_2021-7-24_12-15-52.png

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I couldn't get a good read on Tuomaala, Koivunen, or Salminen. Things I know: he's a shoot first talent, has a good motor/physical compete, is a good skater. He was by far the most athletic and talented looking of the 3. So, the fact I couldn't figure if he was better was probably about his hockey IQ or well-roundedness offensively. Definitely okay with the pick, although Stankoven is a similar profile and seemed easier to project.

I will have to go back and watch another game or two of him. It's pretty obvious Chuckles places a heavy emphasis on shooting talent as primary tool.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad