Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick 27: Morgan Frost, C, Sault Ste. Marie (OHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
If he is a point producer as a rookie next year, it really changes the makeup of our team next year. And I don't even mean a Barzal type tookie season, but like a 50-60 type seaon just takes a ton of pressure off of others.

If only.

Oh wait....Kjell said he isn't ready. Never mind.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'd be happy with 30 ES points as the 3C playing 12 minutes a night as a rookie.
That would still be a substantial upgrade, especially if he's responsible defensively and can contribute on PP2.

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
If he is a point producer as a rookie next year, it really changes the makeup of our team next year. And I don't even mean a Barzal type tookie season, but like a 50-60 type seaon just takes a ton of pressure off of others.

If only.

If he, in his rookie year, is comparable to Barzal in his rookie year (probably unrealisitic expectations to have, but still) just let this sink in.... Couturier/Patrick/Frost down the middle, with G on Couts' wing and able to take over C duties for someone if needed.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Barzal had 58 ES points as a rookie in 14:33 ES minutes.
If Frost plays 12 minutes a night as the 3C, that would be 47 ES points.
Might be a bit much to ask, but 30+ is doable and would give us three solid lines.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

If only.

If Frost can do that, Patrick does similar, the PP isn't broken, Ghost and Provorov are back to normal, and everyone currently on the roster is actually used appropriately, this team will take a MASSIVE step forward next year.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Barzal had 58 ES points as a rookie in 14:33 ES minutes.
If Frost plays 12 minutes a night as the 3C, that would be 47 ES points.
Might be a bit much to ask, but 30+ is doable and would give us three solid lines.
Patrick has 22 ES points last year and has 21 this year.

Wonder who gets to 30 ES points in a season first.

Reactions: Rebels57

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I’ve said this before: Frost reminds me of Krejci. Krejci had 27 pts in 56 games at his 21 yr old rookie season.

Frost would be 20 in his rookie season. A year behind Krejci, who used his 20 yr old season for a 70 pt AHL experience.

So....It’d be a huge stretch for me to think Frost does more than close to a half pt per game in the NHL at 20.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Patrick has 22 ES points last year and has 21 this year.

Wonder who gets to 30 ES points in a season first.
Patrick is in pace for 29 ES for the season.

He had a real shitty 1/4 - 1/2 of the season...from about game 20-40. He started playing better gaining a bit more confidence over his next 10 (40-50) and the last 10 (50-60) or so have been awesome.

If he can finish the season on this way, particularly if Gordon puts him with Giroux, 30 ES points is very attainable.

Munch89

Jul 4, 2018
I've got Frost penciled in for 45 points next year.

This is why prospects get labelled as bust so quickly...

Giroux had 47 points as a 22 year old in his second season in the NHL..

We put expectations too high on our rookies and then start harping on them.

People wanted Coots to be traded cause he couldn't break 40 points..
We have people here saying that Patrick will never amount to anything more than a 2nd line center based on two seasons of play..

Let them develop, I think the amount of rookies having incredible seasons is giving us jaded coloured glasses.

Let them develop!

Although I hope you're right! :P

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
This is why prospects get labelled as bust so quickly...

Giroux had 47 points as a 22 year old in his second season in the NHL..

We put expectations too high on our rookies and then start harping on them.

People wanted Coots to be traded cause he couldn't break 40 points..
We have people here saying that Patrick will never amount to anything more than a 2nd line center based on two seasons of play..

Let them develop, I think the amount of rookies having incredible seasons is giving us jaded coloured glasses.

Let them develop!

Although I hope you're right! :P

I think Frost will get real PP minutes as soon as next year.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
I was just researching the Brayden Schenn trade and saw the Flyers used those two first round picks on Morgan Frost and Joel Farabee.

That's the way to turn a seemingly lopsided trade(in many Blues fans eyes...mostly because you took Lehtera) into a great trade for both teams! All comes down to using your picks wisely and it looks like you have. Congrats!

I like the Flyers. Hockey is just better when you guys are good. I hope they become solid NHL players for your team!

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I was just researching the Brayden Schenn trade and saw the Flyers used those two first round picks on Morgan Frost and Joel Farabee.

That's the way to turn a seemingly lopsided trade(in many Blues fans eyes...mostly because you took Lehtera) into a great trade for both teams! All comes down to using your picks wisely and it looks like you have. Congrats!

I like the Flyers. Hockey is just better when you guys are good. I hope they become solid NHL players for your team!

Yeah we've been happy with the deal for well over a year after seeing how good Frost is. Farabee is icing on the cake. Both have legit top 6 potential. Plus we signed JVR as a UFA to essentially replace Schenn. Probably one of Hextalls best moves overall to be honest.

Reactions: Stizzle

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia

Agreed. The biggest issue I believe on HF boards is that teams can make a trade that benefits both sides. This is one of those deals. It’s always about utilizing those assets and developing them into a player. Flyers seem to have found two very good young players. One (Frost) could end up being a top line player.

Munch89

Jul 4, 2018
Agreed. The biggest issue I believe on HF boards is that teams can make a trade that benefits both sides. This is one of those deals. It’s always about utilizing those assets and developing them into a player. Flyers seem to have found two very good young players. One (Frost) could end up being a top line player.

I think Farabee is arguably one of the more underrated prospects in the league. I personally have higher hopes for Farabee than I do for Frost, he's a diamond in clear daylight that no one is looking at

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Agreed. The biggest issue I believe on HF boards is that teams can make a trade that benefits both sides. This is one of those deals.

A long way to go before anointing this good for both sides. St. Louis made this trade to help make a legit run now. We'll see if that happens.

If the run doesn't occur, the trade has the possibility to look really bad in hindsight for St Louis. If Farabee and Frost keep on each players current path, it is likely disastrous.

Reactions: Lotusflower

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

It worked for St Louis, like the ROR deal, because you got a smart GM who made other moves to recoup those picks, dump salary and get younger and more talented at the same time.

But we knew that Schenn wasn't last year's player, he's a solid 2nd line power forward who'll give you 50 points or so between ES and PP.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think Farabee is arguably one of the more underrated prospects in the league. I personally have higher hopes for Farabee than I do for Frost, he's a diamond in clear daylight that no one is looking at

Hard to say.
Frost is faster and more dynamic, especially this year.
Farabee as he fills out his body has a chance to be a two way forward who does everything well.
Not much to complain about. :D

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I was one of Schenns biggest fans/defenders on here, but this trade is looking incredible for us so far.

We got two players with top line potential in return for a very good player, but one who didn't have a real fit here. Schenn had a fanstastic year last season, but I don't think he could have done that here because he was never able to cement himself on any line or in any forward position.

On top of that, we seriously lucked out that they choked so hard and gifted us the Farabee pick. Obviously that wasn't something Hextall could have expected when he made the trade but hey, we deserve a little luck for once.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City

The media jumped all over that trade because of Schenn's hot start and the only visible part of the return being Lehtera. The early reviews of the trade by the media were asinine and influenced how the general hockey world viewed the trade, too.

It will still be a few years before we really know how the Flyers did in this trade.

Schenn never really fit here, like we were waiting for him to find his perfect role and break out at any time. I am glad that he is having success in St. Louis; I have always liked his game, though I feel he plays best at RW, which is clearly his least favourite forward position.

Hopefully Frost and Farabee reach their ceilings and we can revisit this trade down the line when both teams really know what they got out of it.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
It's ironic they started trying Giroux at LW right after Schenn was traded. I always wonder what a Giroux-Schenn-TK or Giroux-Couturier-Schenn line would've looked like.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
It wouldn't surprise me to see both Farabee and Frost be as good as Schenn was here.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
I was one of Schenns biggest fans/defenders on here, but this trade is looking incredible for us so far.

We got two players with top line potential in return for a very good player, but one who didn't have a real fit here. Schenn had a fanstastic year last season, but I don't think he could have done that here because he was never able to cement himself on any line or in any forward position.

On top of that, we seriously lucked out that they choked so hard and gifted us the Farabee pick. Obviously that wasn't something Hextall could have expected when he made the trade but hey, we deserve a little luck for once.
Not to mention the Schenn's prime came at a time when the Flyers had no real shot of competing. The Schenn trade was the closest thing to tanking the Flyers did and the payoff was well worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad