Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick 27: Morgan Frost, C, Sault Ste. Marie (OHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
One other thing not being discussed is, if Frost does make the team this year, that will make him eligible for expansion draft in 2 years.....yea maybe give him another season in the O.

I don't think that's correct. He'd only have 2 years professional, meaning he'd still be exempt, like with Morin, who we didn't have to protect. It's the third year that matters, so Patrick, for example, will have to be protected. Right?

Reactions: CanadianSniper

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
One other thing not being discussed is, if Frost does make the team this year, that will make him eligible for expansion draft in 2 years.....yea maybe give him another season in the O.

1st and 2nd year pros are exempt. If the expansion draft occurs following the 2019-2020 season, then he would still be exempt.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The way the NHL worded it was needlessly confusing, but it's actually more than 2 pro seasons. And those seasons have to have been played after the player turned 20 to count.

So Hagg was exempt despite having played 3 AHL seasons, because the first year was his 19 year old season.

Robert Hägg - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Reactions: Rebels57

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA

Yeah, I'm kind of expecting to lose something important at the ED

Giroux, Couturier, Konecny, Patrick, vanRiemsdyk, Lindblom, Voracek (7)
Provorov, Gostibehere, Sanheim/Morin/Myers (3)
Hart (1)

It's going to be brutal. Laughton, Hagg, Sandstrom, Rubtsov, Vorobyev, 2 of Sanheim/Morin/Myers, and a number of others will be open.

That considered, we're going to lose one of Sanheim/Morin/Myers. We're going to lose the 2nd best of the 3.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

Hart (1)

It's going to be brutal. Laughton, Hagg, Sandstrom, Rubtsov, Vorobyev, 2 of Sanheim/Morin/Myers, and a number of others will be open.

That considered, we're going to lose one of Sanheim/Morin/Myers. We're going to lose the 2nd best of the 3.

All the more incentive for Hexy to start trading some prospects for bigger pieces within a year or so

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right

Hart (1)

Honestly think JVR gets exposed.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
When the time comes, I think losing JVR to the ED might be the better choice as Farabee could probably take up the 2LW by that point (possibly 1LW).

LI Fly Guy

Feb 28, 2008
Long Island
Yup, I had JVR pegged immediately as someone to go in ED. Looks like one of Myers or Sanheim will be exposed as well, so hopefully JVR is the one, being I tend to overvalue defensemen because of the lack of quality we’ve had at the position.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I think it is looking more and more likely that we will see Frost to start the season, either in full or on a 9 or 10 gamer (whatever the limit is). All signs point to him being ready from a skill standpoint, just need to see if he can physically play the role of a 3/4C in the NHL. Unless there is a trade or signing that happens between then and now, I think we see him from day one.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
K so expose JVR. Who do you keep instead of him? Vorobyev, Laughton, Rubstov?

There's no reason to expose JVR if there are no forwards better than him in the long-run. Unless Laughton beats out JVR/Lindblom on the wing or Vorobyev/Rubstov beat out Frost for 3C, this is a non-issue.

You could, but really unless we sign someone to take JVR's place, it's not coming from anywhere internal that we're going to have an issue.

And it doesn't give us another defensman to protect...

So if you're just dangling him as bait...then why are you dangling him? At that point if he's that important you don't dangle him, or if you are, it's because he's less important than one of your defensemen you're hoping to keep...which, if he isn't, then Seattle will take the defensman and you are left with JVR anyway.

So yeah...JVR exposed/not exposed doesn't matter.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018

Hart (1)

As it stands, only Laughton, Hagg, and Sanheim will be eligible for the ED. Lindblom is probable.

I doubt that the Flyers would protect JVR.

So it's more like...

Giroux, Couturier, Konecny, Patrick, Lindblom, Voracek, ??? (6/7)
Provorov, Gostibehere, Sanheim (3)
??? (0/1)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The way the NHL worded it was needlessly confusing, but it's actually more than 2 pro seasons. And those seasons have to have been played after the player turned 20 to count.

So Hagg was exempt despite having played 3 AHL seasons, because the first year was his 19 year old season.

Robert Hägg - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

So Patrick is exempt then? Since 2018-19 would be his first pro season after turning 20.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY

There's no reason to expose JVR if there are no forwards better than him in the long-run. Unless Laughton beats out JVR/Lindblom on the wing or Vorobyev/Rubstov beat out Frost for 3C, this is a non-issue.

You could, but really unless we sign someone to take JVR's place, it's not coming from anywhere internal that we're going to have an issue.

So if you're just dangling him as bait...then why are you dangling him? At that point if he's that important you don't dangle him, or if you are, it's because he's less important than one of your defensemen you're hoping to keep...which, if he isn't, then Seattle will take the defensman and you are left with JVR anyway.

Sorry I just thought of him as being a logical target considering age and cost at that point of the ED. If he is still producing well but there is someone that isn't but can be exposed, you do them.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
As it stands, only Laughton, Hagg, and Sanheim will be eligible for the ED. Lindblom is probable.

I doubt that the Flyers would protect JVR.

So it's more like...

Giroux, Couturier, Konecny, Patrick, Lindblom, Voracek, ??? (6/7)
Provorov, Gostibehere, Sanheim (3)
??? (0/1)

Oh okay.

:rolleyes:

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018

Giroux is the only player on the Flyers with trade restrictions, so the team has flexibility and should be able to avoid losing important players in the draft.

NicolasAubeKubel

Mar 3, 2018
I imagine Farabee, Rubtsov, Ratcliffe, NAK, maybe even Jay O’Brien will all be potential replacements for losing someone like JVR in the ED

LI Fly Guy

Feb 28, 2008
Long Island
I would go with the 8 skaters which would protect all of Dmen(that’s going off the assumption Sanheim and Myers live up to expectation)

Giroux
Couturier
Patrick
Konecny
Provy
Ghost
Sanheim
Myers

Expose 93,21,17, or 54 and whichever one of them goes we have Allison, Farabee, Ratcliffe, and O’Brien to step in.

If we go 7-3-1 we stand the chance of losing a good defenseman. Maybe by then we’re hoepfully kicking ass and Ron trades a late first to ensure we don’t lose anyone.

nuclear reactor

Apr 5, 2010
Both Nathan MacKinnon and Aaron Ekblad had to be protected. Hagg was exempt because his contract slid in the AHL. Patrick will have to be protected.

Reactions: Curufinwe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad