Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick 27: Morgan Frost, C, Sault Ste. Marie (OHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Don't think the organization that tried to force Carter to be a winger exists anymore.

Frost has center skills, why would you want him at wing? It would be a waste of his best attribute, the ability to see the game unfold and make smart decisions - which requires that he handle the puck.
He'd be 3C or 4C as a rookie, so he'd already be "sheltered."
And if you're worried about him, keep Simmonds and put him on his RW and Raffl on his LW.
Or juggle your D-men so that Morin is on the ice at the same time.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
There's a pretty clear Center spot available too, as long as they don't sign a vet for more than 1 year. You would have to think Laughton moves before Frost (or is traded as an RFA).
Laughton just seems like that guy that they keep around to be a solid guy until others are ready.

10 goals and 10 assist from the 4th line with no PP points. That's pretty good.

Leave him there for another year of Frost makes it and let Vorobyev keep developing in the AHL. Then he can move to wing once the Pimp is ready and we have a guy who can move to C when injuries occur to the bottom 6.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Laughton just seems like that guy that they keep around to be a solid guy until others are ready.

10 goals and 10 assist from the 4th line with no PP points. That's pretty good.

Leave him there for another year of Frost makes it and let Vorobyev keep developing in the AHL. Then he can move to wing once the Pimp is ready and we have a guy who can move to C when injuries occur to the bottom 6.

Oh I wasn’t saying it was Laughton or Frost. I just meant moved to the wing, not traded. He’s here next year, as he should be.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
If you rush kids that are still physically developing you risk shoulder injuries problems etc,, He is quick enough to get out of the way in juniors playing against kids but will be tagged in the NHL by men there is a huge difference. Most times it's bone structure not just weight you are looking at. You guys like to rush things most GM's do not but then again these sights are full of GM's. Not saying i don't like the kid i do thing he will be a good contributor on our team for years to come but i want it to be for years to come not just for a couple then have someone with shoulder injury problems cause that will really slows him down. His time will come don't push him 2019-20 is just fine

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
Everyone (including the Flyers) keeps saying he can’t play cause of his size, Barzal is the same size and just scored 85 points as a 2C. Frost would be the 3C here. If he comes in an earns a spot like Patrick, Konecny, and Provorov did, he will make the team.
I thought they said he needed to get stronger not bigger. Barzal I thought did two years in junior after being drafted prior to his rookie year.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Frost is the same weight as Giroux and heavier than Konecny isn't he? Taller than both.

Kid gloves have to come off some time. Seems like if you give him 3C minutes (maybe 4C some games) and give him lots of easy minutes, I think he'll be ok.

Reactions: Rebels57

LI Fly Guy

Feb 28, 2008
Long Island
I thought they said he needed to get stronger not bigger. Barzal I thought did two years in junior after being drafted prior to his rookie year.

At STH meeting I think Pryor said he needs to get bigger, but recently yes they have said stronger. You are also correct on Barzal he was drafted 2 years before Frost

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Frost is the same weight as Giroux and heavier than Konecny isn't he? Taller than both.

Kid gloves have to come off some time. Seems like if you give him 3C minutes (maybe 4C some games) and give him lots of easy minutes, I think he'll be ok.
In the meantime Provorov returned to juniors for who knows why.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
To much on here is on weight and it really is not much about that at all. It is more to do with strength and how you use it. Weight can greatly depending on how a kid is built , Whether he is wide shouldered thick necked big head big ass etc ... Hockey players now a days are way lighter than they use to be cause the game is all about speed . I mentioned on here a while ago i have a friend who's kid went to one of those summer hockey training facilities in Toronto area and they told him right away he was too jacked and jacked just slows you down , they took 15 lbs off him that summer and his speed and flexibility vastly improved .
If Frost has the strength to compete and fend guys off and absorb some punishment he will have a shot. They are not going to say you are only 183 lbs and you need to be 188 lbs to play in the NHL that just makes no sense .

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Players are lighter, but not that much lighter, about 5 lbs from peak size about a decade ago.
Forwards still average 6'1 200.
Light players do have roles, but how many are good two way players and how many are "figure skaters" who avoid contact and the dirty areas?

You need enough functional strength to fight for the puck, shield the puck and handle hits without crumpling like a paper cup.
Now Frost has a big advantage over someone like Weal b/c his speed and acceleration will punish players who try to crowd him too much.
But like Giroux, you want to match him with the right players so he can "float" and make plays, Giroux has Couts, Frost will need his partners to do his dirty work.

Lindblom - Frost - Simmonds.
In two years, Ratcliffe - Frost - Allison/Laczynski

Reactions: Philly Fanatik

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
An individual player can get by without size, but a team can't carry too many of those guys.
While slugs have gone extinct, you still need a balance.

Remember, the reason the Broad Street Bullies were created was due to the French line getting pummeled.
The game has changed, but refs still swallow their whistles in the playoffs.

So you strive for an optimal mix of size, speed and skill - but there's only one McJesus in the league.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
To much on here is on weight and it really is not much about that at all. It is more to do with strength and how you use it. Weight can greatly depending on how a kid is built , Whether he is wide shouldered thick necked big head big ass etc ... Hockey players now a days are way lighter than they use to be cause the game is all about speed . I mentioned on here a while ago i have a friend who's kid went to one of those summer hockey training facilities in Toronto area and they told him right away he was too jacked and jacked just slows you down , they took 15 lbs off him that summer and his speed and flexibility vastly improved .
If Frost has the strength to compete and fend guys off and absorb some punishment he will have a shot. They are not going to say you are only 183 lbs and you need to be 188 lbs to play in the NHL that just makes no sense .

When most people on here say that the kids need to add 10lbs what they are really saying is they need to add the muscle mass and strength to fend guys off and absorb punishment and not bulk up for the sake of bulking up. Mind you I said most, there are a few others...

LI Fly Guy

Feb 28, 2008
Long Island
One other thing not being discussed is, if Frost does make the team this year, that will make him eligible for expansion draft in 2 years.....yea maybe give him another season in the O.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad