Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick 27: Morgan Frost, C, Sault Ste. Marie (OHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaSaShi

Apr 16, 2015
Deadhead won’t fully admit his mistake of stating that konecny is 2 years from a top 6 player....but his assessment of konecny as a player (needs to add weight, has improved backchecking ) is spot on. I Especially agree on his take on konecny’s 100 mph tazmanian devil instincts.

Konecny mostly moves at one speed right now....and he is having success because he has great physical tools and very tenacious.
But if he can manage and vary his game speed for various situations , it will add deception to his game and open up and unlock his game further.

This was voracek’s problem early and to be frank still a bit of a problem for him sometimes although much much less. All he wanted to do was to rev it up at all times and by doing this he skates himself into trouble or out of opportunities.

That’s why i like frost’s game from the brief viewings I had....he doesn’t depend on his speed but when it’s used it leaves defenders flat footed opening up chances.

This is what needs to happen with konecny, he needs to be able to manipulate ice space better to really take advantage of his plus plus physical talent.

Reactions: kudymen and Jtown

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
I have nothing of value to add to this thread, but I want to say thank you for those of you who follow our prospects and are able to provide the rest of us much needed and useful information. It is reassuring to know some of you hold Frost in really high regard. My uncertainty stems from whether or not I should give some of you as much credibility as I do. I have trust issues. :laugh:

I always look forward to reading threads like these. Thanks guys! :thumbu:

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Awkward situation. I really don't know what good playing in the OHL will do him next year. He's already streets ahead, but he's not NHL ready. The ruling to protect the CHL seems to be at the expense of player development.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
He's already streets ahead, but he's not NHL ready.

giphy.gif

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
I have nothing of value to add to this thread, but I want to say thank you for those of you who follow our prospects and are able to provide the rest of us much needed and useful information. It is reassuring to know some of you hold Frost in really high regard. My uncertainty stems from whether or not I should give some of you as much credibility as I do. I have trust issues. :laugh:

I always look forward to reading threads like these. Thanks guys! :thumbu:

Fear not Having followed the flyers and lurking here for quite a few years I can tell u the guys who follow our kids give a good description of their strengths and weaknesses as witnessed by seeing the same things when they make it to the phantoms they described. Magua ,lod,flyguy, appleyard.,stizzle and a few more deserve alot of credit. I know i am probably missing a couple more but they know what they r talking about. Check out the draft thread u will not be disappointed.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Awkward situation. I really don't know what good playing in the OHL will do him next year. He's already streets ahead, but he's not NHL ready. The ruling to protect the CHL seems to be at the expense of player development.

I don't think it'll be bad for him to play another year in the CHL. Look at Barzal.

Reactions: Rebels57 and Tripod

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It wouldn't kill him to play another CHL season, but it would be a bit of a waste.
Though he's more like Myers than Konecny, in that his pre-draft season was meh, and he didn't play a major role.

But Flyers lack bottom six depth, and if he's physically ready, a 3C role is pretty sheltered for a rookie, 12-14 minutes a night while he gets used to the NHL. It's not like he's going to get the Nico treatment (thrown to the wolves).

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
pre-draft season (including playoffs)
Frost 78g 22-48 70
Konecny 65g 32-46 78
Konecny was a consensus top 20 pick going into the draft
Frost was in the 30-70 range.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Frost is "more like Myers than Konecny"

Konecny: 78 points in 65 games - picked 24th overall
Frost: 70 points in 78 games - picked 27th overall
Myers: 10 points in 66 games- undrafted

Last edited:

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014

Konecny: 78 points in 65 games - picked 24th overall
Frost: 70 points in 78 games - picked 27th overall
Myers: 10 points in 66 games- undrafted
The 5'10 175 lbs left handed center with 60 points who was drafted late in the first round is more like the 6'5 200 lbs right handed defensmen with 10 points who was undrafted than the 5'10 175 lbs right handed center with 80 points who was drafted late in the first round.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I think if he adds some weight to his frame he has the opportunity to make the team next year.

He clearly has demonstrated he has the skill to be a top prospect but now he will need to add some weight to withstand the beating your body takes during the NHL season. If he does add say 10-15 pounds, I believe there isn't a chance he goes back to juniors.

I also think he begins his NHL tenure on the wing as well. Similar to Giroux, I believe he will be moved back to center but will be easier for him to start on the wing. He won't have to do heavy lifting down the middle in the defensive zone and we know that can really wear down a smaller center.

Frost - Patrick - Voracek line could be a scary 2nd line.
Lindblom - Free Agent/Trade - Simmonds (IF he is still here) would be a heavy third line.

I can really see Hexy doing two things, going out and getting a high scoring center or getting a top pairing dman(if available).

We certainly have the cap space to make the moves and I feel like Hexy might believe this team is on the cuff of being extremely good. Little more depth and a dynamic player we are one of the better teams in the league.

Reactions: Flyerfan13

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
If the Flyers take Hayton in the first round, then he can play LW with Frost. It is also fun watching Hollowell with Frost. He is 5'9" but has a little Travis in him. Both of them. An interesting 7th rounder. Still believe Liam Foudy and Eric Regula are sleepers in later rounds. As a free agent Hayden Verbeek. But what do I know. I thought Josh Morissey was the second coming of Coffey!

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
I think if he adds some weight to his frame he has the opportunity to make the team next year.

He clearly has demonstrated he has the skill to be a top prospect but now he will need to add some weight to withstand the beating your body takes during the NHL season. If he does add say 10-15 pounds, I believe there isn't a chance he goes back to juniors.

I also think he begins his NHL tenure on the wing as well. Similar to Giroux, I believe he will be moved back to center but will be easier for him to start on the wing. He won't have to do heavy lifting down the middle in the defensive zone and we know that can really wear down a smaller center.

Frost - Patrick - Voracek line could be a scary 2nd line.
Lindblom - Free Agent/Trade - Simmonds (IF he is still here) would be a heavy third line.

I can really see Hexy doing two things, going out and getting a high scoring center or getting a top pairing dman(if available).

We certainly have the cap space to make the moves and I feel like Hexy might believe this team is on the cuff of being extremely good. Little more depth and a dynamic player we are one of the better teams in the league.
I think Frost could be started out at wing too but I think Vorobyev is making the team next year. Hextall was raving about him during this seasons training camp and now he is producing at a ready clip. So maybe Frost get started out on his wing or maybe Vorobyev moves outside and Frost centers the 3rd line. Either way a Frost Vorobyev Simmonds 3rd line would be pretty interesting next season.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Konecny pre-draft was already a premier talent, his post-draft season confirmed it, so promoting him involved less guess work.
Frost pre-draft was solid, but not special, and he wasn't considered a premier talent going into the draft, which makes his post-draft performance just a little less reliable, and some GMs might want to see him repeat it.
Myers was meh pre-draft, but had a great post-draft season, but that was the first time he carried a major load, plus he's a defenseman, so Hextall had him repeat and go to the AHL.

Point is Frost isn't a slam dunk like Konecny, Hextall will probably be a bit more reluctant to promote him out of juniors

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think Frost could be started out at wing too but I think Vorobyev is making the team next year. Hextall was raving about him during this seasons training camp and now he is producing at a ready clip. So maybe Frost get started out on his wing or maybe Vorobyev moves outside and Frost centers the 3rd line. Either way a Frost Vorobyev Simmonds 3rd line would be pretty interesting next season.

I doubt Frost will ever play wing, he's too smart, and at center he can raise the game of his wings.
A long Calder Cup run would be a big plus for Vorobyev, I'd say his biggest knock is just lack of experience. 64 MHL games, 72 KHL games, 50 AHL games.

If Frost and Vorobyev make the team, and Simmonds isn't traded:
Raffl - Vorobyev - Simmons
Laughton - Frost - NAK

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I have only ever seen Frost play wing once: during Super Series against Russia earlier this season. He looked a tad awkward there. I'm not saying he can't be a wing with practice because any smart center should be able to adapt, but he's not a wing right now and his entire game (size aside) is tailored to playing center. He's a center.

It's just his way of saying he loves Frost. Don't overthink it!

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well, in the same way I think Myers has more upside than Sanheim, Frost has more upside than Konecny.
Which may simply means I like Breyers Chocolate Truffle more than Mint Chocolate Chip.

Reason I think Myers has the upside is his size and physicality, a premier defenseman who is offensively skilled and puts the fear of God into forwards is a rare and wonderful thing.
Reason I think Frost has the upside is his hockey IQ, how often do you hear Hextall rave about a player the way he does about Frost? Speed and shooting is nice, but when you're a step ahead of everyone mentally, speed becomes even more valuable b/c it allows you to create space to work magic.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
I have only ever seen Frost play wing once: during Super Series against Russia earlier this season. He looked a tad awkward there. I'm not saying he can't be a wing with practice because any smart center should be able to adapt, but he's not a wing right now and his entire game (size aside) is tailored to playing center. He's a center.
I think that is where he will be long term but I can see the Flyers easing him in as a winger to start. It might not make the best sense, but it wouldn’t shock me with some of this team’s other decisions. I mean how many years did this organization try to force Carter to be winger. It was definitely his first two and his last one so that’s at least 3 of the 6 years he was here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad