Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick 24: Travis Konecny, RW, Ottawa (OHL); signed ELC 7/16/15 (post #338)

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Maybe I’m the only one, but I’d consider going back to the Giroux-Couturier-Voracek line that annihilated the league for a couple months, now that they have more scoring depth.

That would leave JVR-Patrick-Konecny as the second line, which also balances the size. Konecny was good on line 1, but flashed good chemistry with Patrick, too.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
JVR is not capable of doing that anymore. In fact if you go back and look at his goals from the previous season they were generated by in front of the net opportunities. He did not drive any of the play.

Konecny is the only player in the organization that is capble of doiing what Konecny did so well last year and that is constantly put pressure on defenders with his speed. I was hoping that we would have been able to add to that this year but it seems like we werent

JVR is top 2 among forwards on the Leafs in rush attempts/60 for the past 2 seasons. Not sure where zone entry success data is, but I'm sure that'd be the best indicator

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Best comparison I can find is the Giroux-Couturier-Voracek line had a 70.6 GF%, & the Giroux-Couturier-Konecny line had a 63.5 GF%.
Can’t really go wrong with either.
I just like the fit of Konecny's skillset better. Best shot on the team with the best playmaker on the team.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
giphy.gif
That's what my buddy used to say every time he cheated on his wife.

They are divorced now.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
JVR is top 2 among forwards on the Leafs in rush attempts/60 for the past 2 seasons. Not sure where zone entry success data is, but I'm sure that'd be the best indicator

i just posted a video of all his goals from the previous season. Feel free to watch, it becomes quite repetitive.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Is TK really such a shoot-first player?

Seems to me he passes up a lot of shooting opportunities, which is a problem for many of the forwards.

Granted, he has a good shot when he uses it.

He had 177 SOG vs Jak’s 228. Some of that is surely due to PP time & overall minutes, but, still, TK needs to shoot more.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Whine about our best players, while defending the trash players and making every excuse imaginable for the clueless coach. Over and over and over again. :shakehead

If Voracek scored 10 extra goals per season he would be 3rd in scoring in the NHL over the past six years. Right in between Kane and Ovechkin.

NHL.com - Stats

Yep, and he'd be an elite player.

How many NHL players are as big as he is, skate as fast and under control like he does, and can pass like Voracek?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Giroux and Couturier benefited from TK just he like benefited from them. It was the PERFECT match. His speed and shot were exactly what that line needed, and the results prove that.

Too bad it took months before it was put together and was then ruined at the end of the year.

The evidence says that Giroux and Couts had similar production NO MATTER WHO WAS ON THEIR RW.

To me Couts was the key and is our best player, one attribute of top forwards is they make everyone who plays with them better.
Couts has been doing that for three years.

With Giroux, he has great chemistry b/c their talents are perfect complements, the RW just has to get with the program.
That fact that they were productive with four different RWs with four different styles says it all.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
No coach in their right mind would use him though besides Dave Heavy Grind Does the Work Veteran Hakstok

Don't watch a lot of hockey, do you?
Because otherwise you'd see plenty of stiffs at 3C and 4C and on the third defensive pair of almost any NHL team.

Wanna rile up Striiker, ask him who he'd prefer at 4C, Weal or Lehtera?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I just like the fit of Konecny's skillset better. Best shot on the team with the best playmaker on the team.

This pains me to agree with you, because otherwise you're wrong, the first line was as good with Voracek.
But Voracek is a better fit on the second line than TK, because he can pass to JVR and Patrick.
Though I hate taking Lindblom from Patrick, I thought they had really nice chemistry at the end of the season.

The problem with Lindblom - Laughton - Simmonds as the third line is no one is a playmaker in that trio, so I see some ugly play in their future.
My suspicion is that Hextall really wanted Stastny/Bozak, especially on a 3 year deal.
Which explains why he seemed to be in a sour mood at his PC.

JVR was his consolation prize when he couldn't land a center he wanted.
It's not that Hextall doesn't like JVR, and might have signed him with Bozak, but the 3C was an higher priority.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
You gotta laugh at someone whose standard for the Flyers coach is can they fog a mirror, but demands that the Flyers best players be top three in the entire league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad