Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick 22, German Rubtsov, C, Russia U-19 (MHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Kosorenkov would be subjected to the CHL/NHL agreement. He can't play in the AHL next year if they even wanted him to assuming they would sign in the first place.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Would Kosorenkov be? Legit asking. Because he came over in his D+1 year which means he should be eligible.....but he also wasn't drafted. Don't know if that changes anything because he should be AHL eligible if we had drafted him this past June. I'm not even sure what the precedent is for that. How many foreign kids come to the CHL in their D+1 year, go undrafted, and then get signed and make an AHL team in their D+2 year?

Kosorenkov wasn't even a point/game yet though in the Q, so it's not like he'd be on the Phantoms anyway. Let him have a 150 point season and then he'll be ready.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Isn't he over 20?
My bad, doesn't turn 20 until January.

He's a second tier forward, I'll be happy if he jumps from 63 points to 80-90 points.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Would Kosorenkov be? Legit asking. Because he came over in his D+1 year which means he should be eligible.....but he also wasn't drafted. Don't know if that changes anything because he should be AHL eligible if we had drafted him this past June. I'm not even sure what the precedent is for that. How many foreign kids come to the CHL in their D+1 year, go undrafted, and then get signed and make an AHL team in their D+2 year?

Kosorenkov wasn't even a point/game yet though in the Q, so it's not like he'd be on the Phantoms anyway. Let him have a 150 point season and then he'll be ready.

He played there for the full year last year. So I don't think it would really matter if drafted or signed.

If he scores a 150 points in the Q next year then he'd have a shot at being a top six player in the NHL. So that would be good.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Based on this I don't think he is AHL eligible if he's signed, and wouldn't have been if he was drafted either because he was property of a CHL team, and not just on loan.

https://www.nhl.com/flyers/news/who-can-play-where-and-why/c-889461

So where does the AHL’s oft-cited “20-year-old player rule†come in? This rule is based on the NHL and CHL Agreement, which states a signed player aged 18 or 19 who was claimed from a CHL club and is not retained by the NHL club, must be assigned to the CHL junior club whom he last played for or owes a contractual obligation.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I guess I'm confused. If we had drafted him from the Russian u18 team in 2016 and then he came over to Victoriaville, he is 100% AHL eligible. I know that. He didn't play in the CHL in his age 17-18 draft season. Doesn't matter that he came over after as an import.

If we had drafted him out of the Q but at age 19, so this past draft, would he then NOT be eligible? Does that rule have an age specification? Because he was a 19 year old re-entry who would've been drafted out of the Q. And does not being drafted change that (probably not)? But none of this matters because he would never make the Phantoms.

If he scores a 150 points in the Q next year then he'd have a shot at being a top six player in the NHL. So that would be good.

I meant to add another zero. D+1 players need to hit 100. D+2 players need to hit 1500.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If we had drafted him out of the Q but at age 19, so this past draft, would he then NOT be eligible? Does that rule have an age specification?

I don't think he would be eligible because the CHL-NHL agreement applies to all players who are property of CHL teams, not just ones who were drafted.

If it didn't apply to undrafted players, then Myers would have been AHL eligible the past two years.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I don't think he would be eligible because the CHL-NHL agreement applies to all players who are property of CHL teams, not just ones who were drafted.

If it didn't apply to undrafted players, then Myers would have been AHL eligible the past two years.

It would seem Koso is not eligible. But it is a different situation. Myers played in the CHL in his original draft year; Kosorenkov played overseas. It appears that doesn't matter because "draft year" is a literal interpretation.

And it's kind of silly. If we had drafted him in 2016 he would be AHL eligible, even having played in the Q last year.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Tricky situation as they couldn't have signed him in 2016- the Tomas Hyka rule. But if drafted, he could have, yeah. Doesn't make too much sense to me.

It would be such a unique situation though, if a 19 year old was ready for the AHL after being undrafted at 18, that I guess you could challenge it if you were a team.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Tricky situation as they couldn't have signed him in 2016- the Tomas Hyka rule. But if drafted, he could have, yeah. Doesn't make too much sense to me.

It would be such a unique situation though, if a 19 year old was ready for the AHL after being undrafted at 18, that I guess you could challenge it if you were a team.

(Vegas Golden Knight) Tomas Hyka.......of course. So we couldn't have signed him after the draft last year anyway. Though that was under the old CBA though. But I doubt it changed.

But his present AHL eligibility confuses me, even if I'm going with, "He's not eligible." It would be a very unique situation, and like I said, I'm not 100% sure what the rule would be because there's pretty much no precedent.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
(Vegas Golden Knight)Though that was under the old CBA though. But I doubt it changed.

As near as I can tell, it's unchanged from 1979 despite articles cropping up every year or two about who will be the one to make a legal challenge.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Courier-Post column has blurbs on some prospects.

http://www.courierpostonline.com/st...right-decision-made-german-rubtsov/810213001/

German Rubtsov, center, Chicoutimi Saguenéens (QMJHL)
Height/weight: 6-foot, 190 pounds
Draft: 2016 first round (22nd overall)
This season: 9 games played, 1 goal, 8 assists
The skinny: The Flyers had a call to make with Rubtsov. Because he was playing in Russia when they drafted him, it was possible for the Flyers to have put Rubtsov in the American Hockey League if they wanted. Instead they sent him to Canadian junior. Don’t be surprised if the junior team ends up trading him at some point this season to a contending team.
Button’s take: “Sometimes I’m not sure why players want to get (to the next level) sooner. You want to get there ready. I tell players all the time, when you get to the NHL, if you’re not ready you’re gonna get chewed up and spit out like nobody’s business. You’ve got to get ready and I think that’s the big challenge for him. His next big opportunity is the World Junior (Championship).”

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
His prospect thread is something else. Some of his countrymen are positively desperate for him to fail.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
$

My favorite. Don't know if it's the picture or what he writes or probably both combined, but that guy gets me every single time.

Brayden Fattison

Mar 4, 2013
$

My favorite. Don't know if it's the picture or what he writes or probably both combined, but that guy gets me every single time.
That guy actually has his rational moments. Atas2000 is the one who's out of it. It's taking every ounce of willpower I have to not troll him into a lather.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto

The Titans have received German Rubstov in exchange for Vladimir Kuznetsov.

Picks were also involved.

Welcome to Bathurst German.

Reactions: Foggy14
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad