Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick #19: Jay O'Brien, C, MA-USHS --> Providence U

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Only Flyer fans could whine about taking a fast, stout center who is scoring a PPG in his return to the college game because they passed on a good, but not great LHD.

Now if Miller was a 6'2 220 lb RHD with a similar skill package . . .

Reactions: Larry44

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
JOB reflects what many of us say after a "safe" pick; ie, need to swing for kids with higher upside. It hasn't worked out so far but still could, and he was their second 1st round pick that year. Considering they still have York and Brink from that draft, I am not crying myself to sleep about O'Brien.

Reactions: Devonator

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
JOB reflects what many of us say after a "safe" pick; ie, need to swing for kids with higher upside. It hasn't worked out so far but still could, and he was their second 1st round pick that year. Considering they still have York and Brink from that draft, I am not crying myself to sleep about O'Brien.

Huh? JOB was a year before York and Brink, who were Fletcher picks.
He was part of an up and down draft, Farabee at #14 but Ginning at #50, St Ivany #112, Wylie #127, Ersson #143.
Farabee and Ersson make this a great draft.

And why are people talking about JOB like he's already flopped?
15 points in 13 games, 5 ES goals, +6.
Not bad for someone who spent last season in the BCHL

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
JOB should be one of the top players in college hockey right now given his draft slot and age. The points are good, but considering his age I’d hope they’d be better.

If he was young for his draft class then I’d be more content, but the fact he was old makes it that much worse

Reactions: Tripod

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
He was part of an up and down draft, Farabee at #14 but Ginning at #50, St Ivany #112, Wylie #127, Ersson #143.

Some people just don't dig in and find out what went on with JOB at Providence to see how he and others were mismanaged there. When he went to the BCHL, again his critics look at that as trying to be a big fish in a small pond when it was, in reality a way to play last year and not lose his NCAA eligibility. His numbers in the first part of last season were held down by nagging injuries but then he got well and had a very good second half of the year. Its no surprise that he's doing well this season for Boston. He's a very good prospect. The Flyers need to get him signed after his season and sent to LV.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
JOB should be one of the top players in college hockey right now given his draft slot and age. The points are good, but considering his age I’d hope they’d be better.

If he was young for his draft class then I’d be more content, but the fact he was old makes it that much worse

Uh, 15 points in 13 games doesn't make you one of the top players in college hockey?
He's 17th in ppg among players with 10 or more games played.
He's not going to score like Caufield, on the other hand, he's faster and much bigger which means he can play a two way game.

I'd say he's doing just fine for #19, given his background (HS not USHL, then a bad situation at Providence).

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
I don’t think the production is that discouraging. He’s not settled at any team for more than a season since high school.

Some dwell on the lack of production in a lesser league. The only prospect in the BCHL who blew away his peers in scoring might be a top 5-10 2021 draft pick.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Production this year at BU is very promising on paper. Hopefully means he's on the right track, but not sure what his upside really is.

Better off focusing any anger at the floor pick in rd 2 I guess...

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
If you're disappointed by his production this year then your expectations are completely out of whack. Or you have no familiarity with the college game.

My expectations are pretty low so he has exceeded them. You just hope you can get a guy in that draft slot that turns out to be a top 6 guy, not bottom 6.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
My expectations are pretty low so he has exceeded them. You just hope you can get a guy in that draft slot that turns out to be a top 6 guy, not bottom 6.
Most guys in his draft slot don’t become top 6 guys so again the expectations are off. Top 6/bottom 6 is also not a good way to view things in 2021.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He has the size and speed to be a solid two way 3C/3RW if he develops his defensive game.
More and you hit the jackpot (2C) at that point in the draft.
Top six quality forwards (40+ ES points with average to above average defense) aren't that easy to find.

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
"It's phishing season. Members should beware of an email informing them their password is about to expire. You should delete it. This is a scam to steal passwords."

It has been so long that I used my password.....not a clue to what it is.....luckily the webpage comes up automatically.......

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

Duh, you're right. That'll show me for trying to fire off a quick comment with one foot out the door. Yes, Farabee was the earlier pick, with which at least one of my points stands.

iu

As for flopping, I'll stand by "hasn't worked out so far" as accurate. He has had an unstable trajectory, to say the least.

Reactions: Rebels57

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
I didn’t realize this was a discussion about hope rather than reality. Carry on.
...? That’s all prospects are until they hit the big league. Hope and wishes lol. If he becomes an above average 3C in the NHL then I’ll settle for that and be happy. But Patrick and Frost haven’t been able to even achieve that yet, either, and they were more highly touted.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Good to hear he's looking good in college. But let's be honest, he's 21, so he should be playing at a PPG pace there. My expectations are still low on him

Yeah i'm not holding out hope for anything more than a future role-player, and that's IF he signs. If he becomes more than that, terrific.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
Conflicting reports- are they getting the 2nd for this 23’ draft since, barring Friedman jumping the gun, they are parting ways with JOB before August 15?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
JOB is an example of the toughest issue in scouting, at what point does a player flatline.

He bounced back in the BCHL, had a good start at BU, but looks like that's all there is, a good college player who'll be 24 next year and has a bottom six ceiling.

First two seasons at BU: 40g 18-20 38 +7
This season 39g 8-24 32 -1

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad