Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick #19: Jay O'Brien, C, MA-USHS --> Providence U

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Tuffte is in his 3rd year at Minn Duluth and has 5 goals and 8 assists in 30 games . Plays pp and second line mins actually has 1 goal even strength its pathetic . He was high school player of the year in Minn and destroyed that league but could not do crap in his games with Fargo in the USHL . The fact high school hockey is miles away from real hockey for grade 11 -12ers so the translation to higher leagues does not usually work now a days . They drafted O'Brien on his skill set and we have to wait and see if the rest comes together but i am not a fan of drafting anyone out of the high school leagues in the top two rounds . He is not a bust yet but really disappointing so far . He has missed 10 games so far 1 from bad boy team suspension 4 from world jrs and 5 from the concussion .

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Tuffte is in his 3rd year at Minn Duluth and has 5 goals and 8 assists in 30 games . Plays pp and second line mins actually has 1 goal even strength its pathetic . He was high school player of the year in Minn and destroyed that league but could not do crap in his games with Fargo in the USHL . The fact high school hockey is miles away from real hockey for grade 11 -12ers so the translation to higher leagues does not usually work now a days . They drafted O'Brien on his skill set and we have to wait and see if the rest comes together but i am not a fan of drafting anyone out of the high school leagues in the top two rounds . He is not a bust yet but really disappointing so far . He has missed 10 games so far 1 from bad boy team suspension 4 from world jrs and 5 from the concussion .

Tufte is really looking like a bust. I am just glad the flyers have management in place that would never draft such a bust.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The fact that JOB was chosen for the WJC-20 team suggests he was drafted on talent, not his HS performance.
They got to see him play against his peers and thought he was worth keeping.
What coming out of HS instead of a couple USHL seasons did was slow his development by a year, and the injuries didn't help matters.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Looking to be a dud of a draft for Flyers outside of Hart and maybe Laczynski.

A dud?!

Rubtsov is a bit of a question mark with his injuries, but he still very much has the potential to be a valuable, positionally versatile 3rd line/middle 6 contributor. And that's not even an especially rosy projection. That back half of the 1st wasn't especially good anyway in hindsight.

Laberge is a bust. But then we drafted our franchise potential goalie in Hart; one of the best players in college hockey in Allison; both Twarynski and especially Bunnaman have NHL depth potential; Hogberg is one of the best d-men his age in the SHL, with a valuable plus defensive, high IQ, above average puck moving package; Laczynski is one of the best players in college hockey; and even Bernhardt for a 7th rounder has exceeded expectations and has some potential, though I'm not necessarily counting on it.

Please dear god let us have duds of drafts like this under Fletcher every year! That was one of the best depth drafts the Flyers have ever had.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
A dud?!

Rubtsov is a bit of a question mark with his injuries, but he still very much has the potential to be a valuable, positionally versatile 3rd line/middle 6 contributor. And that's not even an especially rosy projection. That back half of the 1st wasn't especially good anyway in hindsight.

Laberge is a bust. But then we drafted our franchise potential goalie in Hart; one of the best players in college hockey in Allison; both Twarynski and especially Bunnaman have NHL depth potential; Hogberg is one of the best d-men his age in the SHL, with a valuable plus defensive, high IQ, above average puck moving package; Laczynski is one of the best players in college hockey; and even Bernhardt for a 7th rounder has exceeded expectations and has some potential, though I'm not necessarily counting on it.

Please dear god let us have duds of drafts like this under Fletcher every year! That was one of the best depth drafts the Flyers have ever had.

Depth? Draft? If you're a Flyers fan you're conditioned to not look at picks past the first round, because why bother.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Well I'm certainly willing to write JOB off. If he's not lighting it up now, how could he ever? I mean, it's been an entire 9 months since he was drafted. It's not like he had concussion problems and was expected to struggle a bit because of the jump from high school to college.

Freddy The Fog

Don't live in the fast lane. Live on the off ramp
Aug 3, 2005
Well I'm certainly willing to write JOB off. If he's not lighting it up now, how could he ever? I mean, it's been an entire 9 months since he was drafted. It's not like he had concussion problems and was expected to struggle a bit because of the jump from high school to college.

I sense....sarcasm.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Looking to be a dud of a draft for Flyers outside of Hart and maybe Laczynski.

Even if you want to ignore the potential of the other picks, any draft you land your franchise goalie that you've waited 30 years for, is an amazing draft.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
A dud?!

Rubtsov is utter trash. The rest aren’t that special either. Sloths.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
A dud?!

Allison USED to be one of the best players in college hockey. I would've liked to see him come out of college by now, but haven't totally written him off. Not expecting more than a 3rd liner out of him at best due to IQ. Rubtsov couldn't even attain PPG as an over-ager in the Q and has only played 14 games in the AHL. Pretty rosy projection to have him as anything more than a good bottom 6 guy at this point.

I'm not jumping for joy at any forward prospect that can't hit 1PPG at the junior level. Also, given the crapshoot of the draft I really judge the draft on the early picks 1-45 or so (unless you get a Lindblom late).

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Imagine thinking a 20 year old forward who had a really strong NHL preseason and then began his AHL career by recording 6 goals and 10 points in his first 14 games is "utter trash."

Imagine being the person who thinks that.

German Rubtsov at eliteprospects.com

I wouldn't say he's trash, but not hitting 1PPG in the Q (regardless of "coaching scheme" or "defensive mindedness") and then scoring 10 points in first 14 AHL games isn't going to move the needle much because of the small sample size. I don't know of many impact NHL players that can't hit 1PPG as an overager.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I wouldn't say he's trash, but not hitting 1PPG in the Q (regardless of "coaching scheme" or "defensive mindedness") and then scoring 10 points in first 14 AHL games isn't going to move the needle much because of the small sample size. I don't know of many impact NHL players that can't hit 1PPG as an overager.

Some prospects thrive in the more structured environment of pro hockey. We know Rubstov has the skill. He battled injurie. He changed teams from Russia to the Q and then changed teams again in the Q. What we do know is that he looked good to start last season before it ended. Let's see what happens next season. No need to call him "utter trash."

Reactions: phil162888

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Allison USED to be one of the best players in college hockey. I would've liked to see him come out of college by now, but haven't totally written him off. Not expecting more than a 3rd liner out of him at best due to IQ. Rubtsov couldn't even attain PPG as an over-ager in the Q and has only played 14 games in the AHL. Pretty rosy projection to have him as anything more than a good bottom 6 guy at this point.

I'm not jumping for joy at any forward prospect that can't hit 1PPG at the junior level. Also, given the crapshoot of the draft I really judge the draft on the early picks 1-45 or so (unless you get a Lindblom late).

Allison tore his ACL; that's not some death sentence in 2019. I'm not even his biggest fan because of his hockey sense, as most know, but he's a good 2nd rounder with value. He was one of the best players in college hockey pre-injury; he'll get back to where he was eventually. If that isn't a fine use of a late 2nd, I don't know what is the expectation.

Rubtsov was a consensus pick everyone here liked who had 1 nightmarish season (for myriad speculative reasons) and some injuries. He's not a bust. He will be a useful NHL player, to whatever degree, and possesses a lot of strong traits. His AHL time and prior years are a more accurate indication of what he is. Please look at picks 18-38 and tell me who was both the "right" pick at the time and the certain "better" player now and going forward.

It's highly plausible that Hextall/Pryor had more post-1st round hits in that draft than Fletcher had in a decade in Minnesota. IN ONE DRAFT. Not 4th liners. Middle of the lineup and franchise goalie types. Judging drafts based on 1 pick in the 1st round (a late 1st yet) is nonsense. There are 7 rounds for a reason, and the best teams extract the best value out of each and every one. It doesn't matter what round; it matters the talent you get. 1st round picks are the easy ones. And the Flyers almost always kill it there.

Last edited:

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Rubtsov was a consensus pick everyone here liked who had 1 nightmarish season (for myriad speculative reasons) and some injuries. He's not a bust. He will be a useful NHL player, to whatever degree, and possesses a lot of strong traits. His AHL time and prior years are a more accurate indication of what he is. Please look at picks 18-38 and tell me who was both the "right" pick at the time and the certain "better" player now and going forward.

Uhh Henrik Borgstrom, Tage Thompson, Sam Steel, Jordan Kyrou are relatively in that range and Debrincat, Girard, Raddysh shortly after.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Uhh Henrik Borgstrom, Tage Thompson, Sam Steel, Jordan Kyrou are relatively in that range and Debrincat, Girard, Raddysh shortly after.

Okay. So, hindsight. Thank you for proving my point.

Kyrou and Steel were both below a point/game in their draft years. Were you banging the table for them? Thompson is nothing worth fussing over. Henrik Borgstorm was a re-entry Finnish junior player who would look pretty dang good; we were never taking him, and he was an off-the-board pick. No one was taking Girard, Debrincat, or Raddysh ~top 20 (the first two for size, which is and will always be wrong, and Raddysh because he was not that kind of player in his draft year). We could still have taken any of them at the Laberge spot. Rubtsov was a consensus top 15 player, and only players with size concerns who went 20-30 picks later had better draft year statistical cases.

I don't know why you can't acknowledge all the other good to great picks like Hart and Laczynski and Hogberg and Allison and Bunnaman -- and only focus on a still respectable player with potential in Rubtsov, who still looks about as good as any pick in that immediate range.

Last edited:

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Allison tore his ACL; that's not some death sentence in 2019. I'm not even his biggest fan because of his hockey sense, as most know, but he's a good 2nd rounder with value. He was one of the best players in college hockey pre-injury; he'll get back to where he was eventually. If that isn't a fine use of a late 2nd, I don't know what is the expectation.

It's highly plausible that Hextall/Pryor had more post-1st round hits in that draft than Fletcher had in a decade in Minnesota. IN ONE DRAFT. Not 4th liners. Middle of the lineup and franchise goalie types. Judging drafts based on 1 pick in the 1st round (a late 1st yet) is nonsense. There are 7 rounds for a reason, and the best teams extract the best value out of each and every one. It doesn't matter what round; it matters the talent you get. 1st round picks are the easy ones. And the Flyers almost always kill it there.
Magua , i like guys like you that get it . But i don't waist my time trying to explain things to a lot of posters who don,t . Junior stats are junior stats and quite often don't translate to the pro game at all . I personally know several players that have scored over 100 pts in junior that can't even crack the AHL but i also know quite a some that were a little less than a point a game in juniors that have made a good NHL career . Points as well as skills are not always translatable and most on here never watch these kids at all but think they are experts from just looking at the stats . The 2016 draft was a very good one for us but unfortunatly for a few of them have been derailed for the mean time cause of injuries .
All this said i hope Fletcher and his group can draft half as well as Hex, Pryor and staff .

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Okay. So, hindsight. Thank you for proving my point.

Kyrou and Steel were both below a point/game in their draft years. Were you banging the table for them? Thompson is nothing worth fussing over. Henrik Borgstorm was a re-entry Finnish junior player who would look pretty dang good; we were never taking him, and he was an off-the-board pick. No one was taking Girard, Debrincat, or Raddysh ~top 20 (the first two for size, which is and will always be wrong, and Raddysh because he was not that kind of player in his draft year). We could still have taken any of them at the Laberge spot. Rubtsov was a consensus top 15 player, and only players with size concerns who went 20-30 picks later had better draft year statistical cases.

I don't know why you can't acknowledge all the other good to great picks like Hart and Laczynski and Hogberg and Allison and Bunnaman -- and only focus on a still respectable player with potential in Rubtsov, who still looks about as good as any pick in that immediate range.

It’s a good draft really becausenof Hart, I’m just looking for more impact players in the first two rounds outside of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad