Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick #19: Jay O'Brien, C, MA-USHS --> Providence U

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
One thing O'Brien and Farabee show is Ron has a different standard for "smurfs" than TB.
Farabee will probably fill out to 6'0 190 or so, O'Brien 5'10 190, Frost 5'11 185-190, TK 5'10 190, Lycksell, Cates, etc.
That is, his speedy scoring types are still big enough to effectively forecheck and backcheck in today's NHL.

While they're not going to park in front of the net, and will depend on their speed and quickness to win pucks in corners and along the boards, they're not going to be roadkill in a crowd, either.

What a silly exercise. You're putting these players at height/weight ratios that might not work for them.

Different note, some clarifications:
  • O'Brien checked into the Combine at 5'10.75"--same height as Frost and ~3 lbs heavier than him when measured at the 2017 Combine.
  • Cates is 6'1".
  • Lycksell is somewhere in between 5'11" and 6', or maybe taller than 6'?
  • Rubtsov is under 6'1" / 200 lbs. Why didn't you include him?

Magua

Clutchest Genes to Ever Gene
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
And you're still dead wrong.

SeuXUJl.png

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
What a silly exercise. You're putting these players at height/weight ratios that might not work for them.

Different note, some clarifications:
  • O'Brien checked into the Combine at 5'10.75"--same height as Frost and ~3 lbs heavier than him when measured at the 2017 Combine.
  • Cates is 6'1".
  • Lycksell is somewhere in between 5'11" and 6', or maybe taller than 6'?
  • Rubtsov is under 6'1" / 200 lbs. Why didn't you include him?

Just pointing out that Ron has no aversion to "smaller, offensive oriented forwards."
But he does like 'em bigger than say Johnson or Gourde.
The average NHL forward is 6'1 200 or so, and most of these forwards will end up close to that size, an inch or two shorter, 10 lbs lighter.

So when Hextall talks about Frost bulking up, he has an idea of how big is "big enough," 185-190 lbs is probably sufficient, but it has to be muscle weight, not cheesesteak weight. Enough to be able to hold your own, even if you can't push people around.

I don't think height is a big issue, other than "stick radius" shorter guys tend to have shorter reaches.
Shorter guys can play a little lighter b/c they can use leverage (lower center of gravity)

2017 TC Roster:
Giroux 5'11 185
TK 5'10 184
Leier 5'11 177
Read 5'10 185
Weal 5'9 179
Bardreau 5'10 194

Notice the two smallest on this list have struggled, Leier b/c of lack of skill, Weal because of lack of speed.
Read was effective as long as he was fast, when his legs went his career followed quickly.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
And you're still dead wrong.
Coming from one of the biggest orange IV drinkers on the forums - I wouldn't expect any less.

Revisit in 2-3 years when the gap between the two is significant. Two of Frost, Farabee or O'Brien will even end up better than Patrick IMO due to nagging injuries and a significant amount of missed time.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Coming from one of the biggest orange IV drinkers on the forums - I wouldn't expect any less.

Revisit in 2-3 years when the gap between the two is significant. Two of Frost, Farabee or O'Brien will even end up better than Patrick IMO due to nagging injuries and a significant amount of missed time.

Patrick played 73 regular season games this year, and only missed any due to a freak incident. And in 2015-2016 he didn't miss a game.

The Patrick injury claim really shows you have a weak argument. If you think CM will be better, I suggest maybe citing his impressive WJC performance or his offensive upside rather than a stupid injury claim lmao

Last edited:
Reactions: Rebels57 and Jtown

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

So you think this prediction ends up better than your Couturier one?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
And just so there is no confusion, Boxscores hot takes:

Hell...less than 1 year ago(June 23rd 2017) you said:

Don't speak for this Philly fan. I'd trade Couturier for Galchenyuk in a second. :yo:

Cooooooooots!!! Most. Overrated. Flyer. Ever. :rant:[
/QUOTE]

Or on June 22nd 2017:

Couturier is a completely different issue. Most. Overrated. Flyer. Ever. And save the swanky "analytics", I'm not impressed. I watch Couturier play, he's an average player with above average defense and limited offense.

Again on June 22,2017:

All of that said, it has nothing to do with the fact that, yes, Giroux and Couturier are massively overrated by Flyers fans on this forum. And I'm in favor of them being dealt for a good return.

Again June 22, 2017:

I hope Giroux and/or Couturier are one of the pieces going. The 2 most overrated Flyers in recent history. Simmonds shouldn't be traded - he should be named captain.

Feb 22, 2017:

Couturier is not cut out to be a scoring center, he's just not. He's slow and lumbering and his hands are average at best. He's a fine 3rd liner and that's it... enough with continually trying to fool ourselves into thinking he's more than that.

Feb 20, 2017:

Couturier should be available in a second. I'm a Flyers fan and some of my fellow Flyers fans are crazy, the way they overrate this guy. And Giroux would be traded before Simmonds if anyone has been paying attention

hrocks66

Nov 22, 2015
and once again a tread gets derailed
how about one of the mods cleaning this up, need to start training the posters here
they just go around the treads like little peeing puppies

thanks in advance

Reactions: Bob Clarke Fan Club

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
And just so there is no confusion, Boxscores hot takes:

Hell...less than 1 year ago(June 23rd 2017) you said:

Don't speak for this Philly fan. I'd trade Couturier for Galchenyuk in a second. :yo:

Cooooooooots!!! Most. Overrated. Flyer. Ever. :rant:[
/QUOTE]

Or on June 22nd 2017:

Couturier is a completely different issue. Most. Overrated. Flyer. Ever. And save the swanky "analytics", I'm not impressed. I watch Couturier play, he's an average player with above average defense and limited offense.

Again on June 22,2017:

All of that said, it has nothing to do with the fact that, yes, Giroux and Couturier are massively overrated by Flyers fans on this forum. And I'm in favor of them being dealt for a good return.

Again June 22, 2017:

I hope Giroux and/or Couturier are one of the pieces going. The 2 most overrated Flyers in recent history. Simmonds shouldn't be traded - he should be named captain.

Feb 22, 2017:

Couturier is not cut out to be a scoring center, he's just not. He's slow and lumbering and his hands are average at best. He's a fine 3rd liner and that's it... enough with continually trying to fool ourselves into thinking he's more than that.

Feb 20, 2017:

Couturier should be available in a second. I'm a Flyers fan and some of my fellow Flyers fans are crazy, the way they overrate this guy. And Giroux would be traded before Simmonds if anyone has been paying attention

Wow. Boxcar is actually the more sane, objective Box on this board.

tenor.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->