Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick 14: Cam York, D, USNTDP --> Michigan

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
That is a lot of muscle gain in the 8 months since the WJC. Though at that age it is pretty nice and easy to get big quickly! (albeit "nice and easy" with a lot of gym time and a tailored diet!)

Between 18 and 19 I put on ~24lbs or so to go from ~168lbs to ~192lbs while keeping a similar level of body fat. Wish it was that easy 10 years later...

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
There will still be people on this board claiming he's too small for the NHL some time next year, when in reality, he could be more useful than Hagg right now. Today.

Maybe. It would be nice to have seen him in prospect camp this summer, if possible.
It would be even nicer if he skipped the college season and went pro, so we could see him in TC this December.
Which may happen, I think if college hockey is cancelled, a lot of top prospects will immediately go pro instead of wasting a year.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
That is a lot of muscle gain in the 8 months since the WJC. Though at that age it is pretty nice and easy to get big quickly! (albeit "nice and easy" with a lot of gym time and a tailored diet!)

Between 18 and 19 I put on ~24lbs or so to go from ~168lbs to ~192lbs while keeping a similar level of body fat. Wish it was that easy 10 years later...

Looking at most combine sizes over the years, I think 10-15 lbs a year is about the max for most hockey players to retain speed and quickness, depends on the frame, but some guys have added 25 lbs between 18 and 21. More than that is pretty rare, and guys with leaner frames can struggle to add 20 lbs.

I can easily see Farabee filling out to 190-195 (see his brothers), Frost will struggle to maintain 185 lbs.
York looks ripped, but I suspect some of that will strip off as he spends more time skating, less time in the weight room.
Hockey players have to balance weight room strength with speed/quickness and agility.

Reactions: Appleyard

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Looking at most combine sizes over the years, I think 10-15 lbs a year is about the max for most hockey players to retain speed and quickness, depends on the frame, but some guys have added 25 lbs between 18 and 21. More than that is pretty rare, and guys with leaner frames can struggle to add 20 lbs.

I can easily see Farabee filling out to 190-195 (see his brothers), Frost will struggle to maintain 185 lbs.
York looks ripped, but I suspect some of that will strip off as he spends more time skating, less time in the weight room.
Hockey players have to balance weight room strength with speed/quickness and agility.

Yeh. I might add than I actually stripped ~7lbs to go down to 185lbs after coming into our pre-season and being strong as hell... and fast in sprints... but having lost stamina and unable to play a whole (32 minute with stopages on top...) game without gassing. As to get to that weight I had to let my cardio work slip for a while!

York has a decent sized frame from standing next to him. I guess he can be ~195lbs and not lose much in terms of speed and agility.

Reactions: orangey

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018

I put on 16 lbs in 6 weeks one summer. Fun times

Reactions: Appleyard

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
You guys ever hear of a workout pump? :laugh:

York has a narrow lower half so I don't see a ton of physical projection, but I don't think it will hinder him too much as a player. He's very smart with knowing how to position his body to his advantage.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Kid is a stud. The Drew Brees of defensemen. Smart, elite touch, knows his role & doesn’t force plays that aren’t there. Obviously high work ethic.

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
Kid is a stud. The Drew Brees of defensemen. Smart, elite touch, knows his role & doesn’t force plays that aren’t there. Obviously high work ethic.

Provy - Zamula
Sanheim - Myers
York - ?/ Friedman

Thats very very interesting. And as close as the 2021-2022 season.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
You guys ever hear of a workout pump? :laugh:

York has a narrow lower half so I don't see a ton of physical projection, but I don't think it will hinder him too much as a player. He's very smart with knowing how to position his body to his advantage.
For the picture or in hockey?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If every NHL team was looking at that option for their best college/AHL prospects I doubt a guy like JOB would be in demand.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->