Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick 14: Cam York, D, USNTDP --> Michigan

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I thought Caufield was awesome, but the distribution of his points were so wonky, it did give me pause. He only had 5 primary assists in the USHL this year! FIVE! On that team! That was 125th per game for players with 10 or more games, in all situations. I'm usually skeptical of a stat line when I see 2x as many goals as assists. Looking at who they drafted, it's not hard to imagine this was a red flag for them.

York - 4th overall; 1st for defensemen (5th at 5v5 which is just absurd for a defenseman, that was a higher rate than Hughes)
Brink - 13th overall
Brodzinski - 28th overall
Attard - 47th overall - 6th for defensemen

Sedyuk - 30th overall in the Q

Millman is the outlier but that may be usage related and he seems to be the one flier they took this year (skater).

Now you can't just dismiss his goal scoring prowess and feel for soft spots in coverage, but playing with all of that elite talent that could get him the puck, factoring in possible unsustainable shooting percentages not translating to upper levels, you could talk yourself into thinking he's not as sure of a bet as other do.

If you trade up to take Brink, I think we can rule out size bias.

I don't know why stuff like this was dismissed so quickly when it came to Caufield. I didn't even put him in my top 6 options for the pick. CC might turn out awesome, but more risk existed than people realized.

His role was to score goals on that team. So, I understand his assists will be down, but you have to show more than what he did imo.

The public outcry when they passed on him was embarrassing. Especially that video from the BSH draft party. Just ridiculous. It's like people have learned nothing from previous years picks.

NicolasAubeKubel

Mar 3, 2018
I don't know why stuff like this was dismissed so quickly when it came to Caufield. I didn't even put him in my top 6 options for the pick. CC might turn out awesome, but more risk existed than people realized.

His role was to score goals on that team. So, I understand his assists will be down, but you have to show more than what he did imo.

The public outcry when they passed on him was embarrassing. Especially that video from the BSH draft party. Just ridiculous. It's like people have learned nothing from previous years picks.

Embarrassing

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
In general, you are right, but in this specific case, I don't think he is wrong. Brink is a lot closer to Caufield than those defensemen taken in the middle of the 2nd round are to York. Imo of course.

York is a safe pick, but I think you are underselling him. It's hard to find his skill level and creativity later in the draft. His production is off the charts. He's produced at every international competition, even as an underager. Those are usually pretty good predictors moving forward.

I'm as guilty of falling in love with upside as anyone, but I think guys with "high floors" tend to get underrated as the draft process moves along. Sometimes guys with well rounded skill sets just add value to every area of the game and exceed projections.
I agree with Flyguy on York. Feels weird.

Reactions: Jtown

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Did you guys see the Jack hughes behind the scenes with the devils? York knew he was going to the flyers all along.

"That was who he SAID he was going to the whole time," according to Hughes. Of course his exact choice of words in a 2 second clip isn't worth getting crazy over. You should probably replace "knew" with "felt." People have to remember that scouts don't just touch base in June. These top players have contact throughout the whole season now and again. He likely had an idea he was going in the 11-15 range. It's possible he felt like there was interest, his combine meeting went well (others ahead didn't), they met again for dinner, etc.

Let's not portray it as they promised him he was getting drafted by them. The Flyers did say they had three top 10 grades on the board at #11. He was one.

Reactions: Garbage Goal

WCSGarrett

Zamboni Driver
Feb 18, 2018
Seattle
www.youtube.com
"That was who he SAID he was going to the whole time," according to Hughes. Of course his exact choice of words in a 2 second clip isn't worth getting crazy over. You should probably replace "knew" with "felt." People have to remember that scouts don't just touch base in June. These top players have contact throughout the whole season now and again. He likely had an idea he was going in the 11-15 range. It's possible he felt like there was interest, his combine meeting went well (others ahead didn't), they met again for dinner, etc.

Let's not portray it as they promised him he was getting drafted by them. The Flyers did say they had three top 10 grades on the board at #11. He was one.

With all the US guys in the first round it wouldn't surprise me if he knew. All those guys probably had a good feel for their projections through taking to eachother. Sure, you never really know, but there must be a connection that was made at the meetings. Of course, the Flyers probably told him that if he is available they'll pick him.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Or it could’ve just been a blind guess and “knew it” wasn’t literal.

Like if someone on here guessed who they were going to pick in the draft a week in advance (obviously they couldn’t possibly know) and then when they turned out to have guessed correctly they said “I knew it!”

Here4ThaLids

“Sunshine has always been our enemy.”
Sep 28, 2018
It came to me in a dream. Honestly.

eraserhead.jpg

NicolasAubeKubel

Mar 3, 2018

.....alright

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->