Pre-Game Talk: Round 1 Game 4 Jets-Wild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Imagine if we had Beyak and Mike Johnson commentating our playoffs like we did years ago for TSN Jets , I'd be one happy customer . And they wouldn't just pump the tires of the home teams .

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
The purpose, again is easily followed. Both Friedman and Cherry are on the same network and someone(s) is making decisions to let them comment. Presumably both often being wrong isn't that much of an issue.

Interested in what EF has to say re the Jets when he is the first to comment and is correct a few times.

Cherry is a non issue and you know it. You shouldn’t have included him in your post. It weakens your argument because everybody here knows he's an idiot. Friedman is not responsible for what Cherry says. There is zero connection

You seem to imply that the info he supplied tonight is wrong. What part do you suggest he is wrong about exactly?

Do you think he is wrong that Myers travelled back to Winnipeg?
Do you think he is wrong that Myers injury is not serious?

These points were also made by a TSN insider. It sure sounds to me like this is not something he made up contrary to your weak attempt to discredit the report.

maybe you have issues with EF but this is a thread to share relevant information among fans. This is definitely relevant information.

(Mod)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: GNP

ocdaddy

Nov 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Come on guys. Forget about targeting and etc. We're better team and that's exactly what Wild wants, us looking at who is been targeted. Just move your feet, forcheck and play with speed. We will win game 4. I call 4-3 final for the Jets, Little with game-winner
Little with the winner, huh? Pass the cilantro! :laugh:

Reactions: DashingDane

NBjet

May 24, 2014
We are up 2 - 1 in the first series. I can imagine the amount of hand-wringing and teeth-gnashing that will be going on if a series goes to a game seven... Yikes! And it seems to me that this series isn’t nearly as physical as some of the others, at least so far. The playoffs ain’t for sissies... players and fans alike! How about a couple of periods of OT in a game seven in June?! Is there enough rum in the world?!

Reactions: KidShowtime

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Do you remember Pittsburg a year or two ago with Sestito? They interviewed Sullivan before the game and he said that the Jets had taken liberties (paraphrasing) in the last game so he brought up Sestito. They interview Sesito before the game and he says he knows why he is there, he knows his role and what he's supposed to do. He goes out and practically kills Toby with a cheap shot from behind driving his face through the boards. Game changes from Jets to Penguins owning the play. Pittsburgh comes from behind to win the game. Afterwards everyone on the Penguins side says it was not intentional, just playing hard.

That's what we just witnessed in game 3, but the Boudreau version. If you don't get that, I can't help you.

I totally agree with this post, and I always believe you need an enforcer on your team to keep the other team honest. A lot of posters don't think so --they think we can outskill them. That is true, but if your playing scared, you won't "outskill them."

This is why Wayne Gretzky had -- Dave Semenko and Marty Mc Sorely on his team.
( also why he would only go to LA on a trade, if McSorely was included as well.

Steve Yzerman - Detroit --had Bob Probert and Joey Kocur riding shotgun.

The Old Habs teams ( Guy La Fleur/ John Beliveau--had --John Ferguson protecting the team.

The Bobby Orr --Boston Teams--had plenty of tough guys protecting Orr and Esposito. ( had Cashman, Wensink, Stan Jonathon and others to fight.

New York Islanders-won 4 Stanley Cups --had Clarke Gillies / Bob Nystrom ( who could score) and also protect the talented guys from the Flyers--Dave Schultz and company.

I think this post is exactly right, and if a team thinks they can intimidate or hurt the opposition--they will. When you see a guy get his face slammed into the glass,( like Enstrom) and his face get's busted up, your not going to be inspired to play good Hockey --you'll be to busy looking over your shoulder.

The Jet's need a guy with decent talent, that will protect all the talented young guys.

I know a lot of people don't want to accept this, but I believe this is a fact of Hockey Life. There's a lot of money involved, and if you can intimidate the opposition--I see no reason why teams will not "purposely" go out and injure key players from the opposition. We do need an enforcer with some talent -Hendricks is not bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scheifelaine

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
I totally agree with this post, and I always believe you need an enforcer on your team to keep the other team honest. A lot of posters don't think so --they think we can outskill them. That is true, but if your playing scared, you won't "outskill them."
The Old Habs teams ( Guy La Fleur/ John Beliveau--had --John Ferguson protecting the team.
The Bobby Orr --Boston Teams--had plenty of tough guys protecting Orr and Esposito. ( had Cashman, Wensink, Stan Jonathon and others to fight.
New York Islanders-won 4 Stanley Cups --had Clarke Gillies ( who could score) and also protect the talented guys from the Flyers--Dave Schultz and company.
I think this post is exactly right, and if a team thinks they can intimidate or hurt the opposition--they will. When you see a guy get his face slammed into the glass, and his face get's busted up, your not going to be inspired to play good Hockey --you'll be to gusy looking over your shoulder.
The Jet's need a guy with decent talent, that will protect all the talented young guys.
I know a lot of people don't want to accept this, but I believe this is a fact of Hockey Life. There's a lot of money involved, and if you can intimidate the opposition--I see no reason why teams will not "purposely" go out and injure key players from the opposition. We do need an enforcer with some talent -Hendricks is not bad.

Buff is like the toughest, strongest and scariest dude in the league. What more do you want? Why have a player who can only be tough and hit when you have one who can do that plus skate, pass and shoot

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013

New York Islanders-won 4 Stanley Cups --had Clarke Gillies ( who could score) and also protect the talented guys from the Flyers--Dave Schultz and company.

I think this post is exactly right, and if a team thinks they can intimidate or hurt the opposition--they will. When you see a guy get his face slammed into the glass, and his face get's busted up, your not going to be inspired to play good Hockey --you'll be to gusy looking over your shoulder.

A few liberties there with the Canadiens roster.
Beliveau and Ferguson retired in 1971. Lafleur was still ripping up the Q during their final season.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
A few liberties there with the Canadiens roster.
Beliveau and Ferguson retired in 1971. Lafleur was still ripping up the Q during their final season.

Could well be so Aavco-- but I think you get my point !!! I'm sure Montreal had other guys protecting Lafleur --like Larry Robinson, and some others. We need Buff to start getting mean--and making these guys pay--Chiarot as well --he's very tough !!!

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013

Could well be so Aavco-- but I think you get my point !!! I'm sure Montreal had other guys protecting Lafleur --like Larry Robinson, and some others. We need Buff to start getting mean--and making these guys pay--Chiarot as well --he's very tough !!!

I wasn't arguing your point in any way although Beliveau could take care of himself quite nicely much like Gordie Howe

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
We are up 2 - 1 in the first series. I can imagine the amount of hand-wringing and teeth-gnashing that will be going on if a series goes to a game seven... Yikes! And it seems to me that this series isn’t nearly as physical as some of the others, at least so far. The playoffs ain’t for sissies... players and fans alike! How about a couple of periods of OT in a game seven in June?! Is there enough rum in the world?!

Yeah, if this team ever made the Stanley Cup Final I’d be a basket case. Don’t know if my heart could take it. I’m a little, okay a lot out of sorts in regards to being deeply and emotionally involved in meaningful playoff hockey.

When the Jets 1.0 left for Phoenix, I adopted the team of my favourite player (Peter Forsberg) and the Avalanche made me a hardened playoffs fan. I could handle any adversity those Avalanche teams faced, well because they were THE AVALANCHE after all.

Nowadays though, I’m much older and going on marathon playoff runs with major ups and downs and wild swings of momentum will really take it’s toll on me. My confidence while high on this Jets team just isn’t as strong as my confidence in those Avalanche teams.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I wasn't arguing your point in any way although Beliveau could take care of himself quite nicely much like Gordie Howe

Well Aavco-- when I was a kid I watched Montreal play a lot, as they were my favorite team--and I never saw Gentle John Beliveau get into a fight, although he may have, as I didn't see all the games. Small guys like Henri Richard, Ivan Cournyeye, and other small guys I saw interviewed ---"loved"-John Ferguson.

As for Gordie Howe -- he could more than take care of himself. Although I never saw him fight, as he didn't fight often, he was greatly feared in the league by many players, as was his teammate -- Ted Lindsay. Gordie Howe was before my time, so I never saw them play.

My point is this- it be such a damn shame to lose out in these playoffs with the talent we have, by some team using "goon tactics" to intimidate our younger, smaller , talented guys. It would really piss me off, because this team has "what it takes to win"

So the Jet's have Adam Lowry -6' 5 inches tall, and very tough-I've seen him fight, also Buff-- not so much a puncher, but he can grab a guy throw him to the ice and rough him up badly. Also Chiarot and Trouba can both really throw them. I hope Maurice is talking to these guys, and making them aware of these kind of tactics, and if they happen--"take some action". Trouba just about got his head taken off last game, and now a key player in Myers is out !!! I don't like what I'm seeing here. We need to use our toughness if teams think they are going to step all over us--"we have it, and should use it."

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
It'd be a disaster to lose in the first round against the Wilds. I just cannot see it happening though, not with this core of players. Yet they should win the next game only to avoid giving any boost of confidence, nevermind hope for the Wild cause they'd gear on like never before. The first line needs more focus at their own end and Helle has to get back to his level. That effort was pretty horrid for any goalkeeper playing in the playoffs. Half of the goals didn't even look like high end scoring chances. The lack of playoff experience for a netminder is a slight concern however cause you don't really know how he handles the pressure when the stakes are this high. Of course one lousy game doesn't really tell much so lets see what happens in the next one. Even if it they lost it, that would only make it a tie, but I'm expecting nothing but a win.

Oh and Foligno apparently walking out like nothing happened? He might be better sitting off the next game for the sake of his own health. :D

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

Well Aavco-- when I was a kid I watched Montreal play a lot, as they were my favorite team--and I never saw Gentle John Beliveau get into a fight, although he may have, as I didn't see all the games. Small guys like Henri Richard, Ivan Cournyeye, and other small guys I saw interviewed ---"loved"-John Ferguson.

As for Gordie Howe -- he could more than take care of himself. Although I never saw him fight, as he didn't fight often, he was greatly feared in the league by many players, as was his teammate -- Ted Lindsay. Gordie Howe was before my time, so I never saw them play.

My point is this- it be such a damn shame to lose out in these playoffs with the talent we have, by some team using "goon tactics" to intimidate our younger, smaller , talented guys. It would really piss me off, because this team has "what it takes to win"

So the Jet's have Adam Lowry -6' 5 inches tall, and very tough-I've seen him fight, also Buff-- not so much a puncher, but he can grab a guy throw him to the ice and rough him up badly. Also Chiarot and Trouba can both really throw them. I hope Maurice is talking to these guys, and making them aware of these kind of tactics, and if they happen--"take some action". Trouba just about got his head taken off last game, and now a key player in Myers is out !!! I don't like what I'm seeing here. We need to use our toughness if teams think they are going to step all over us--"we have it, and should use it."

I really don't get why you're so fixated on the need for the Jets to drop the gloves with the Wild. They need to focus on playing their game and not getting distracted by idiots like Foligno and Winnik. Discipline is the key, they can handle themselves physically, that's all they need to do, not need to go off the rails here.

Reactions: Jets 31

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013

Jean Belivieau was 6' 3" 205lbs. He had plenty of. fights early in his career but eventually nobody wanted to fight him because he was too strong.

A lot like the reason Buff doesn't really fight

I'm not trying to debate your points.....only had an issue with some of your supporting facts

Reactions: GNP

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Jean Belivieau was 6' 3" 205lbs. He had plenty of. fights early in his career but eventually nobody wanted to fight him because he was too strong.

A lot like the reason Buff doesn't really fight

I'm not trying to debate your points.....only had an issue with some of your supporting facts

I knew Beliveau was big--I just didn't think he was the fighting type of guy-- interesting to know that. I could see that if he used his size--he was very athletic for a big man--very smooth operator.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I really don't get why you're so fixated on the need for the Jets to drop the gloves with the Wild. They need to focus on playing their game and not getting distracted by idiots like Foligno and Winnik. Discipline is the key, they can handle themselves physically, that's all they need to do, not need to go off the rails here.

I'm not talking about the Jet's dropping the gloves like the 1978 Flyers team, and drop the gloves just to get into a brawl -"not at all" - your misunderstanding me.

I'm saying we should play them on "equal terms"--talent against talent--"but" should other teams start running some of our star players, like Helle, Connor, Ehlers, Little--then "yes"--it's time to drop the gloves and back up these guys, and let them have room and play with no fear. Only to be done "if provoked"--and don't turn a blind eye to it, if it happens, coz it will just get worse. Read my upper posts as to why.

If you don't agree with me, I respect your opinion, as your a great poster on here, but that will not change my opinion. I want the Jet's to win--and they have more than enough talent to do just that. The bigger guys are going to have to step up "if needed."

Reactions: Ducky10

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

I'm not talking about the Jet's dropping the gloves like the 1978 Flyers team, and drop the gloves just to get into a brawl -"not at all" - your misunderstanding me.

I'm saying we should play them on "equal terms"--talent against talent--"but" should other teams start running some of our star players, like Helle, Connor, Ehlers, Little--then "yes"--it's time to drop the gloves and back up these guys, and let them have room and play with no fear. Only to be done "if provoked"--and don't turn a blind eye to it, if it happens, coz it will just get worse. Read my upper posts as to why.

If you don't agree with me, I respect your opinion, as your a great poster on here, but that will not change my opinion. I want the Jet's to win--and they have more than enough talent to do just that. The bigger guys are going to have to step up "if needed."
I get where you're coming from, the Jets are plenty physical though. Nobody is going to condone guys getting run but you let the refs handle it early, if they don't then someone will deal with it. Personally I don't think the Wild's physical play had much effect on the Jets, it wasn't the reason they lost. I think the more the Wild focus on trying to beat up the big bad Jets, it plays into the Jets hands.

Reactions: Jets 31

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
We just need the PP to start going again and unless the Wild and their coach are complete dummies , this dirty crap should stop .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad