Series Talk: Round 1 Discussion - Lightning at Panthers (4-1 Panthers Win)

What's your confidence level going into round 1?

• Game 4 vs the Canes

Votes: 24 68.6%
  • Game 5 vs Vegas

Votes: 11 31.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
I think a few of you are underestimating Tampa.

They have the better PP (1st vs 7th)

They have a better G/GP than us too (5th vs 11th)

And their PK is virtually on par with ours as well. (5th vs 6th, us)

The one area we have them beat is GA/GP, and by a massive margin too (1st vs 22nd)

However, all it takes is for Vasi to find his game, and that gap isn't so big anymore. That's probably what worries me the most. Vasi hasn't been up to his standard since last postseason, but he has an even more lengthy track record of elite play.

And then you combine that with our declining offense (specifically pp) the last month or two, and it's a recipe for getting upset.

And before anyone comes at me with "regular season stats don't matter come playoff time". Well, to a point. But it's worth mentioning Tampa has been playing meaningful hockey for the vast majority of the season having to fight for their PO spot. So I think their regular season stats are a good indicator of what to expect from them.

Meanwhile, for whatever reason we clearly haven't been as good for the past few months. So our overall regular season stats doesnt paint the whole picture of how we've been playing recently.

So yeah, this matchup has me pretty worried. I think it will be hard fought series, and very entertaining.

On an unrelated note. Been making a series of polls for every team's MVP, and finally did us, If yall wanna vote. Would love to hear your thoughts on your pick if you do. On that thread though, so we dont derail this one.

This isnt the Panthers of years past, nor is it the Lightning of years past.

We are the better team.

We are the deeper team.

We are just as well coached as the Lightning are. This is not Brunette going against Cooper.

This is not a run and gun team that was playing the Lightning the previous 2 times, with Q and Brunette.

This team is one of the top 2 defensive teams in the league. This was evident in the first game. They took away everything the Bolts were trying to do. They stood them up at the blueline, and prevented the Kucherov Point combo from doing anything.

This team is about defense more now, than it was when Maurice was brought in. Its quite evident the difference in the team from the first couple of series against the Bolts.

They are also driven, and goal oriented. The run last year was the best thing that could have happened. They know what it takes to get it done in the playoffs, and its an advantage to them this playoffs.

They know the lethal PP that the Bolts have. Im sure it was brought plenty through practices and meetings. They were disciplined during the first game, and Im sure they will try their best to stay that way against them.

And yes, they do have Vasi, but we have Bob, who has been amazing for us for some time now.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
This isnt the Panthers of years past, nor is it the Lightning of years past.

We are the better team.

We are the deeper team.

We are just as well coached as the Lightning are. This is not Brunette going against Cooper.

This is not a run and gun team that was playing the Lightning the previous 2 times, with Q and Brunette.

This team is one of the top 2 defensive teams in the league. This was evident in the first game. They took away everything the Bolts were trying to do. They stood them up at the blueline, and prevented the Kucherov Point combo from doing anything.

This team is about defense more now, than it was when Maurice was brought in. Its quite evident the difference in the team from the first couple of series against the Bolts.

They are also driven, and goal oriented. The run last year was the best thing that could have happened. They know what it takes to get it done in the playoffs, and its an advantage to them this playoffs.

They know the lethal PP that the Bolts have. Im sure it was brought plenty through practices and meetings. They were disciplined during the first game, and Im sure they will try their best to stay that way against them.

And yes, they do have Vasi, but we have Bob, who has been amazing for us for some time now.
There were a few instances yesterday where they totally eased off in situations where in the regular season they would’ve ramped it up.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
There were a few instances yesterday where they totally eased off in situations where in the regular season they would’ve ramped it up.

That shows a well coached team, and players that understand the situation.

They can run and gun with the Bolts if they wanted to, but that gives the Bolts a better chance to beat us. 5 on 5 the Panthers are a top team in the league, and the Bolts cant beat us 4 out of 7 games if we keep it that way for the most part.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
I think the key to our run is going to that Barkov Forsling combo.

They are lights out when on the ice.

There's a strong argument about having the best Dman on the ice going through our bracket

This series (yes Forsling is better than Hedman right now)

Over McAvoy or Lol Reilly

Over Slavin or Fox (overall, fox is better offensively)

And over anyone Vegas has

Forsling has been that good defensively this year. I'm here for the legendary god run of Duncan Forsling

I apologize if he has an all time chitter game tomorrow lmao

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I think the key to our run is going to that Barkov Forsling combo.

They are lights out when on the ice.

There's a strong argument about having the best Dman on the ice going through our bracket

This series (yes Forsling is better than Hedman right now)

Over McAvoy or Lol Reilly

Over Slavin or Fox (overall, fox is better offensively)

And over anyone Vegas has

Forsling has been that good defensively this year. I'm here for the legendary god run of Duncan Forsling

I apologize if he has an all time chitter game tomorrow lmao

Hedman hasn't even been the best Tampa D for the last couple of years. Still good, but living off his past reputation at this point.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
He's our number 3. We don't want to possibly hurt Charlotte unless there is an injury. No chance Cormier plays barring sudden injury before puck drop and Cormer becomes back up
“Barring sudden injury” …. Say, doesn’t PoMo have a pretty steep staircase at his house?

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Hedman hasn't even been the best Tampa D for the last couple of years. Still good, but living off his past reputation at this point.

Hedman's 5vs5 defensive numbers are bottom tier but he's still very good offensively. The Dolts' core is effectively past their prime and they just don't have the depth pieces anymore to complement their best players... I don't think they'll be able to keep up with the Panthers.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
Hey Panthers! You guys are doing a great job of neutralizing the Lightning. Knowing how good their power play is it makes your defense even more impressive. Keep up the good work and get at least one out of two in Tampa!

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
reverse sweep booked into the timeline
Kucherov gets 18 goals for 18million
This was last game, 41 goals in 2 PO games, Stamkos beat him to it
1000017880.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad