Game 5
Period 1 - 8:00 PM EST maybe puck drop at 8:15
Period 2 ~9:30 PM EST
Period 3 ~10:45 PM EST
OT 1 ~12:00 AM
OT 2 ~1:30 AM
OT 3 ~ 3:00 AM
OT 27 ~ 6:30 PM on Thursday, 5/27
If we get to a winner by the middle of OT 27, we should be good to go for puck drop. #GoCanes

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Things I find pretty interesting about the series:
  • We've come back from a deficit to tie 8 different times in the 5 games.
  • We've only scored first in one game, and we still have a 3-2 edge.
  • We're outshooting them 222-178 in spite of things feeling difficult sometimes.
  • We've scored 3 or more goals in all games in spite of things feeling difficult sometimes.
  • Ned's numbers are quite good and I don't think he's really played as well as he has shown he can at all times (though he's made a number of jaw-dropping saves). While Saros is getting a lot of love, and some keep questioning Ned starting (I'm not even as the Ned skeptic, squeeze every ounce out of him you can this season cause you don't know if it will always be this way)Ned seems about comparable to me thus far on the whole.
Nashville is clearly playing a style to keep it close with a better team. They are playing balls to the wall almost all the time. And it shows with some frustrating stretches for the Canes. But I think it's just a microcosm of the regular season. We aren't always the better team in play for a game, but we are the more talented team. And that will find a way to win out much of the time. And when we do find that confidence, and flow, and tenacity, and resilience, we are tough to beat. Took a couple of double OT games to do it in fact.

Some would be wise to remember that we can't dominate every minute of every game. We aren't always going to have the lead. We will trail on occasion. But this is a talented team that doesn't give up near as much as the despair would have you believe.

Edit:

Forgot I wanted to add this as interesting as well:

Last edited:

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
I haven't seen the stats on this, but it seems as if one thing that's hurting the Canes is not being as dominant in the faceoff circle in the defensive zone as we're used to. Haula in particular seems to be quite good at winning when he puts his stick in second. When CAR wins in the D zone, they create excellent flow coming out of their zone and go to work as we've come to expect from them, but when they don't, they chase the puck for concerning lengths of time.

It also seems as if things are pretty much been normal in the offensive zone. Don't win them all, obviously, but get a typical amount of clean wins that create clean, dangerous shots.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I haven't seen the stats on this, but it seems as if one thing that's hurting the Canes is not being as dominant in the faceoff circle in the defensive zone as we're used to. Haula in particular seems to be quite good at winning when he puts his stick in second. When CAR wins in the D zone, they create excellent flow coming out of their zone and go to work as we've come to expect from them, but when they don't, they chase the puck for concerning lengths of time.

It also seems as if things are pretty much been normal in the offensive zone. Don't win them all, obviously, but get a typical amount of clean wins that create clean, dangerous shots.
On faceoffs, Nashville was also jumping a number of them, especially the wingers (remember when Duchene was mouthing at Foegele)...jumped damn near to the dot before the puck hit the ice and holding up our players

Reactions: DaveG

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

You are correct. 56/52.3/53.2 (OZ/NZ/DZ) is the RS (Link). 55.4/57.4/45.7 against Nashville thus far (Link).

Staal is actually doing better. Trocheck and Lorentz are down ~9 percentage points. Aho is down ~29!

Reactions: DaveG and geehaad

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
On faceoffs, Nashville was also jumping a number of them, especially the wingers (remember when Duchene was mouthing at Foegele)...jumped damn near to the dot before the puck hit the ice and holding up our players
You may be correct, but I've noticed for years now that the Canes wingers jump the gun constantly, to the point I've thought that it's a coached strategy. Necas is particularly bad about this. My inclination would be that what you're seeing from NSH is a response to that.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Dave, can we 'shop sabreteeth onto Stormy?

Come out to the East coast, have a few laughs...

aVzMb81.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad