Movies: Rotten Tomatoes 'Tomatometer' Manipulated by Hollywood Studio's PR

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005

• Allegations of financial incentives and manipulated critic scores have raised concerns about the integrity of review aggregate platforms, specifically involving PR company Bunker 15 and the popular site Rotten Tomatoes.
  • Bunker 15, known as a "smart-tech Publicity Engine," claims to connect filmmakers with journalists who can amplify their project's visibility.
  • Bunker 15 are accused of going beyond traditional publicity strategies by recruiting lesser-known critics to manipulate Rotten Tomatoes' "Tomatometer" scores.

It's not exactly a secret that studios try and influence critic reviews of their films, but this gives us a specific example that I'm guessing is probably a common practice in the industry.

Ever wonder why so many completely mediocre films often get so many positive reviews from critics?

Apparently $50 is all it takes to get a reviewer to sellout.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
hey now, 50 bucks is 50 bucks
That's at least one above average lap dance

We're well into the post-truth and post-fact era. I don't know why anyone would take anything from anyone at face value anymore. Whether that's their local political candidate up for election or a online recommendation of a sanitary face cloth. Think critically, form your own opinion, realize and accept most things in late stage capitalism are a rip off and judge for yourself how much you would be willing to be ripped off.

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
giphy.gif

Reactions: Howe Elbows 9

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Ever since TLJ somehow got a 90+ and me personally thinking it was a down right awful movie made me really stop considering their scores, especially for any star wars/marvel stuff. Those scoring are always so grossly inflated.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
This has been more known than Will and Jayda's relationship status over the last ten years. It was just about someone finding the facts.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
It's a fine line.

I'm pretty sure studios will "butter up" critics at premiers.

And while it's never explicitly said, if you want to get invited back to the next premier, you probably don't want to be giving out negative reviews.

Directly paying for favorable reviews feels a bit more dirty though. I guess it's not much different than record labels paying to get an artist on tours, or on the most popular spotify playlists.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Nothing surprising here. It is common knowledge in the video game industry and that is smaller than Hollywood.

Reviewers want the perks of getting access to premieres, behind the scenes information and other moments that are only accessible to a select few.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Well duh, That's why I've never given 2 shits about the "Critic" score. Much more interested in the viewer score.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Ever since Paddington 2's debacle on Rotten Tomatoes it's been clear the system is rigged. Still think it's BS that dumb Citizen Kane somehow surpassed Mr. Marmalade Sandwiches as the best film ever made

Sammy Kat

Jun 14, 2021
This stuff has been going on for many many years and Disney was the worst of the bunch for manipulating critics and hiring phoney reviewers.

One critic before he retired even said if you ever gave a Disney movie or show a bad review you were cut off of all premieres and all the gift baskets booze and food that goes with them.
Also good luck with any interviews or your tv station or paper getting Disney ad money.

There was a time reviews meant something but now along with any awards shows everything is bought and manipulated by the studios.

I have even had friends post a bad review of a movie and they mostly never get posted on the sites so they poat an okay review and they show up right away.

Word of mouth by people you know is the only real way to get a reliable scoop on movies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad