Rotating D Men up from minors

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
I love the way that management is now rotating forwards up from the minors to give a look /see. Wonder if they could/would do the same with D-Men. With Muzzin out, and the offence clicking,would it be worth the experiment? Or would it be more of a tire fire?

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
forwards are easy to plug in because 90% of mistakes they make dont really matter and wont lead to goals against.

plugging in a defensman can horrible because all their mistakes will end up in the back of the net.
also we are not deep at D so its harder to swap them.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
forwards are easy to plug in because 90% of mistakes they make dont really matter and wont lead to goals against.

plugging in a defensman can horrible because all their mistakes will end up in the back of the net.
also we are not deep at D so its harder to swap them

Good point but I would say Sandin/Liljegren should get rotated in. Neither are downgrades on Ceci/Marincin at this point.

Reactions: sittler rules!!!

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Overall, the D has been decent this year compared with the previous two years and I have a ton of confidence in Dubas/Keefe bringing guys up when they think they are ready.

2017-2019 seasons 5v5:

Corsi Against/60: 58.62 (26th best)
Shots Against/60: 32.47 (27th best)
Scoring Chances Against/60: 27.67 (23rd best)
High Danger Chances Against/60: 10.65 (17th best)

Save% 92.59 (6th best)

2019/2020 season 5v5:

Corsi Against/60: 54.7 (14th best)
Shots Against/60: 31.11 (20th best)
Scoring Chances Against/60: 25.65 (15th best)
High Danger Chances Against/60: 10.62 (21st best)

Save% 91.57 (16th best)

Goaltending seems a bigger issue this year and this seems like a much more well rounded team. I expect things to look even better as time goes on and we get healthier with probably the worst part of the schedule behind us. High Danger chances against are still a bit high but the Leafs are actually 11th best since Keefe took over so I'm not as worried there (especially with high danger chances for in the top ten). Hopefully the last two wins will give Hutch more confidence and he'll be able to silence the naysayers and solve that problem internally as well.

unitedstars87

Jun 2, 2006
Next year we will likely need both Liljegren and Sandin to graduate to the NHL.

Reilly -
Dermott - Holl
Sandin - Liljegren

Am I looking at this wrong? I just don’t see the $$$ to commit to Barrie and we are pretty good on the left side so might not make sense to bring Muzzin was so good a intimidating Bruins star players in the playoffs. Seems like an ok D core going forward but the bottom 4 are all comfortable with Keefes system and hopefully Reilly goes back to his normal self. Really don’t know at this who compliments Reilly that’s available.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Next year we will likely need both Liljegren and Sandin to graduate to the NHL.

Reilly -
Dermott - Holl
Sandin - Liljegren

Am I looking at this wrong? I just don’t see the $$$ to commit to Barrie and we are pretty good on the left side. Seems like an ok D core but the bottom 4 are all comfortable with Keefes system and hopefully Reilly goes back to his normal self.
Barrie will price himself out of town. Even if he wanted to be here, we couldn't match what some desperate GM out there would. Muzzin could be retained though as he'd come at a much more reasonable pricetag.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Good point but I would say Sandin/Liljegren should get rotated in. Neither are downgrades on Ceci/Marincin at this point.
Marincin actually hasn't looked terrible under Keefe. I'm fine with him as the 7th guy.

Leave Sandin this year, let him work on his defensive game and take advantage of the contract slide.

The problem with rotating Ceci out and scratching him is that you lower any potential trade value. I think the play is to move him first, bring up Lily then use the cap space to shore up the backup goalie spot and any other holes before playoffs.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If you are going to bring up Sandin, it better be with the intention of it being for the rest of the year. Would be stupid to burn a slide year just to test things out. If he comes up, you need to play him 3 games and make a firm decision at that point.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Marincin actually hasn't looked terrible under Keefe. I'm fine with him as the 7th guy.

Leave Sandin this year, let him work on his defensive game and take advantage of the contract slide.

The problem with rotating Ceci out and scratching him is that you lower any potential trade value. I think the play is to move him first, bring up Lily then use the cap space to shore up the backup goalie spot and any other holes before playoffs.
I don't think that there's any trade value to lower...

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I cant see any NHL team with 2 rookies on the same pair. Sandin and Liljegren imo isn't going to happen next year in the bottom pairing. I think Liljegren gets moved at the deadline maybe in a bigger deal.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
I cant see any NHL team with 2 rookies on the same pair. Sandin and Liljegren imo isn't going to happen next year in the bottom pairing. I think Liljegren gets moved at the deadline maybe in a bigger deal.
I dont think so. Leafs will need him because of his salary.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
I dont think so. Leafs will need him because of his salary.
There are so many ways for the Leafs to make something work salary wise next year. Keeping Sandin or Lils are not the only way to do so.
If trading either of them makes the team better it will be done.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Sandin went HAM today in Sweden's 5-4 OT loss.

2 goals and 2 assists.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
IMO it's nuts to recalling players "for a look". Leafs are fighting for a playoff spot. There certainly isn't any proof that Sandin is good enough to replace Reilly, Muzzin, or Dermot at LHD. And right now is Liljegren ready to replace any of the Leafs at RHD? So who do you want to waive?
Now if there injuries the last half of the season, some Dman might have to be recalled. And it certainly look like the Leaf need Liljgren and Sandin to be Leafs next year.

What's this craziness I'm reading. Leafs should trade Liljegren. Why? Cause having two young cost efficient rookie Dmen with years of control is bad?:huh:

horner

May 22, 2007
Right now the only dman I want to see upper with the leafs is Sandin and Ljiligren.

Sandin with what I have seen from the WJC his shot from the point always seems to find a way to get through. He has been on there PP quarterback since day one.
Would love to see if he is strong enough in the NHL before the deadline and see how he is on the pp.

Ljiligren same thing morso defensively.

We may find out that we have replacements for Barrie and Ceci .

Hate not to get anything for Barrie and Ceci

Maybe trade for a defensive dman at the deadline
Hainsey - he won't play every game but he is familiar with Rielly and our other players.
Ottawa eats a mil maybe for Gauthier

Holl Muzzin
Ljiligren Rielly
Dermot Sandin
Hainsey Holzer

Maybe trade for another dman in case of an injury
Holzer

See if Dermot or Sandin can play right d

horner

May 22, 2007
You want to move Sandin or ljiligren before you see what we have in them.

Good thing we didn't trade Holl !!!

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I don't want to burn a year off of Sandin's ELC unnecessarily.

He's already played in 6 games this season. 4 more and we've wasted a year off his ELC.

Our team is powering along, and he won't be a key difference maker one way or another for the Leafs. Let him play 3 games up, and then keep him down on the Marlies.

I have no doubt that Sandin-Liljegren will be our 3rd pairing next season from the beginning of the season, but in the interim, Muzzin coming back and Marincin for emergency duty is the way to go, and leave Sandin to dominate and get stronger with the Marlies this season....

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
You don't think. You want him to be traded. Lilly isn't going anywhere. He is our best prospect defensively and the most ready.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
IMO it's nuts to recalling players "for a look". Leafs are fighting for a playoff spot. There certainly isn't any proof that Sandin is good enough to replace Reilly, Muzzin, or Dermot at LHD. And right now is Liljegren ready to replace any of the Leafs at RHD? So who do you want to waive?
Now if there injuries the last half of the season, some Dman might have to be recalled. And it certainly look like the Leaf need Liljgren and Sandin to be Leafs next year.

What's this craziness I'm reading. Leafs should trade Liljegren. Why? Cause having two young cost efficient rookie Dmen with years of control is bad?:huh:
Nobody wants him traded except for one poster who is making up stuff that Lilly is slow to read the game, and isn't very good.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I don't want to burn a year off of Sandin's ELC unnecessarily.

He's already played in 6 games this season. 4 more and we've wasted a year off his ELC.

Our team is powering along, and he won't be a key difference maker one way or another for the Leafs. Let him play 3 games up, and then keep him down on the Marlies.

I have no doubt that Sandin-Liljegren will be our 3rd pairing next season from the beginning of the season, but in the interim, Muzzin coming back and Marincin for emergency duty is the way to go, and leave Sandin to dominate and get stronger with the Marlies this season....
Chris Johnston has said that the Leafs don't particularly care about his service time or ELC, but if he plays 40 or less games, it won't count as a year towards UFA anyway.

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
I was thinking of D other than Sandin and Lily with Muzzin out. Rotating factor would be Marincin. Give the others a look see. We are starting to play a sound fundamental defensive game with the call ups all understanding the Keefe system.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad