Rosters with most expensive goalies

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
Maybe one of those Islander teams before they bought out Dipietro ('13) and his 15yr $67.5M contract he signed in '06, but I think I'm probably wrong, as Roloson, Dubielewicz (?), Montoya, et al weren't making that much. Nevermind.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
I was a little bit younger back then, but as time has gone by, I realize more and more what a raw deal Cujo got from the Wings' brass. The best organization in hockey for over a decade, but they never handled the goaltending situation well. Was a revolving door (circus) too often.

That season was the pinnacle of it all. I don't remember how Hasek got on that team. Whether it was before the season started or in the middle of it. I do remember that he got hurt and supposedly couldn't continue according to him. Then he went out and practiced with the team, goofing around and baffling his teammates since he just announced he wasn't playing the rest of the season. I remember hearing stories about Cujo riding the bus in the minors, even though he was the highest paid goalie in the world. I'm pretty sure Legace of all people started the playoffs that year. He was benched midway through the first round.

Poetically, the team didn't score a goal in games 5 or 6 against Calgary, losing both games 1-0. Cujo was the goalie for those games. That perfectly sums up his career in Detroit.

Last edited:

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad