WC: Roster Talk '11 – Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Other Little Mikey

Aug 31, 2005
Edmonton
Lots of names in the Dreger Report today. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/dregerreport/

Several players have committed to the team including Columbus Blue Jackets captain Rick Nash, who will represent his country for a seventh time.

Atlanta Thrashers captain, Andrew Ladd, a two-time Stanley Cup winner has also accepted an invitation to join Team Canada.

Ottawa Senators forward Jason Spezza and Colorado's Matt Duchene are also among the first wave of top talent players named to a team that appears to have no shortage of big name players.

The final weekend of the NHL's regular season will heavily impact the remainder of the team as Carolina, Chicago and Dallas are among the teams Canada's management staff is keenly focusing on.

Hurricanes rookie Jeff Skinner, along with star goaltender Cam Ward and Carolina captain Eric Staal, are likely targets if the Hurricanes fight to make the playoffs falls short.

The Toronto Maple Leafs are also expected to be well represented. James Reimer will likely be invited to make the trip to Slovakia as one of Canada's three goaltenders, however, where he fits...1,2 or 3 depends on the availability of others.

Leafs defencemen Dion Phaneuf and Luke Schenn may both get the call this weekend, but depending on the availability of other defencemen, it's possible only one of the two will get the call.

Among the many players who have expressed an interest in playing for Canada, Edmonton's Jordan Eberle and Devan Dubnyk are both eager - as is New Jersey's Travis Zajac.

Sources say Canada has not yet identified its head coach, but could have the position filled within a day or two.

Hockey Canada is expected to name the majority of its roster early next week.

Dreger also said Tavares has been asked and will accept as long as he's healthy.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Haha wow. If Sweden could get one single first line NHL player I would be jumping out of joy, let alone five or six.

Honestly, nothing but respect for Nash.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Haha wow. If Sweden could get one single first line NHL player I would be jumping out of joy, let alone five or six.

Honestly, nothing but respect for Nash.

I echo the same sentiments as an American. What an embaressment of riches... :cry:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Well with Nash, Spezza, Ladd, Duchene, Stewart, and also presumably Tavares and Zajac we look to be pretty set at forward. If Carolina doesn't make it I assume we'll at the very least get Skinner if not Staal and Ward too. I'm assuming that Kane will also be involved. If the Ducks get bounced in the first round I wouldn't be surprised to see Perry (maybe Getzlaf) considering he was the only Olympian willing to play last year. Pietrangelo is a good start on defence, but I'm hoping that we get a few more high level defencemen.

Shaun_W_W

Jan 7, 2007
I hope Schenn and Phaneuf get invites, Burke said if any of their players get invites they should say yes.

NeverGoingToWin

Jul 24, 2004
I am very happy with who we have so far. I think our goalies will be our weakness again through the fault of nobody. All our good goalies will be in the playoffs or most likely will say no (Brodeur and Ward). I hope we do not make the mistake of taking so many young players again.

Auzzie19

Mar 10, 2011
The North
^ They'll probably be too tired to play suggesting their series goes 7 games. One of them would be nice though.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
Strong line up coming up for Canada - I guess we have not seen the last star player on this roster. I hope players from other teams see it and realise that they should be on their national teams too (e.g. Lundquist would make a huge difference for Sweden if NYR don't make it).

jcbio11

Aug 17, 2008
Bratislava
So far so good for Canada...

They always have a good team, but looks like this year's team is going to above average for their standards.

Now a lot of depends on whether Carolina makes it or not.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
So far so good for Canada...

They always have a good team, but looks like this year's team is going to above average for their standards.

Now a lot of depends on whether Carolina makes it or not.

Agreed. Staal, Skinner, Ward would all be huge for Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad