WC: Roster Talk '11 – USA

PaulieVegas

Apr 29, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
Connolly didn't participate that year because he had been playing with a torn labrum in his hip and had surgery that off-season. He had a legitimate reason for declining. I don't think he was blacklisted by Burke and co. for it, I just don't think they were big fans of his game. They preferred Stastny in the offensive center role, Kesler and Pavelski in the two-way roles, and Drury as the shutdown guy. Connolly just fell in with a guy like Gomez. He had to nab one of the Top 2 spots or he wouldn't be there. Neither guy deserved to be there either.

I didn't know that, I thought I'd read or heard that Connolly was healthy and just said "No thanks." When a dinosaur like Mike Modano got invited to orientation camp over him, I took that as confirmation. Oh well, at least he hasn't done much since then to suggest he belonged.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
What about Mark Fayne from NJ?

Solid D-man for the Devils this year, only 23 years old.

(Hopefully he will be a candidate for the 6th d-spot)

Can't see him being invited unless we get desperate

usahockey22flyers

Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Also, wouldn't surprise me if we see JvR and Carle if the Flyers get bounced first round.

They've been playing AWFUL.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Atlanta should be officially eliminated today, which would free up Dustin Byfuglien, Zach Bogosian, Ron Hainsey, Rob Schremp, Mark Stuart, and Blake Wheeler.

Even if Wheeler, Bogosian, and Schremp (who would be meh anyways) decline (free agents), boy adding one or two of Buff, Stuart, and Hainsey would be a great start on defense.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Atlanta should be officially eliminated today, which would free up Dustin Byfuglien, Zach Bogosian, Ron Hainsey, Rob Schremp, Mark Stuart, and Blake Wheeler.

Even if Wheeler, Bogosian, and Schremp (who would be meh anyways) decline (free agents), boy adding one or two of Buff, Stuart, and Hainsey would be a great start on defense.

Yep, they're officially done. Minnesota was just officially eliminated as well. Matt Cullen would be a nice target from them. No thanks to Nystrom.

If we could start our defense with Erik Johnson, Dustin Byfuglien, and John-Michael Liles I'd be pretty pumped.

usahockey22flyers

Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Yep, they're officially done. Minnesota was just officially eliminated as well. Matt Cullen would be a nice target from them. No thanks to Nystrom.

If we could start our defense with Erik Johnson, Dustin Byfuglien, and John-Michael Liles I'd be pretty pumped.

If the US could get those three, and have enough quality forwards that Okposo is not the lead guy, I think the US should be considered a top 4 team, maybe top 3 pending goalie.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002

I remember Matt Cullen playing well for previous US world championship teams so I'd be happy to have him. I think his game translates well to the European style on big ice. I'd also be really interested to see what Byfuglien would bring to a US team. Hopefully we start seeing some of these guys make the commitment soon.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
kind of caught things a bit late, but I thought I heard on NHL on the Fly say that Byfuglien and Bogosian accepted offers to play for team USA. Again, not sure 100%, but thats what it sounded like to me...

this team has a shot at being a very competitive team, and like the others, I dont want to rush the selection process by naming 4th line grinders. Plenty of talent to be had here, plenty of 25 and under guys that should be willing to come on board.

goaltending is always a concern for this country, but the way Montoya has been playing, it would be fullish for him to say no thanks...kid needs to jump on everything he gets while its hot. I also wouldnt mind seeing Dipietro, I mean seriously, there isnt much else out there that can stop a puck besides Montoya and Conklin.....and maybe Esche. So why not if he wants to come.

Backes and Oshie need to set the tone early and accept to play for this team. Ditto for Erik Johnson and Matt Cullen who would be very big additions early on. If Toronto is on the outs, then I would hope Kessel would decide to play and give us one high end sniper for this team. Not holding hope out for Stastny as he had a rough year.

The first wave of 12 or so guys that I want to be named to this team would be as follows:

David Backes
T.J Oshie
Erik Johnson
Jamie McBain
Erik Cole
Matt Cullen
Kyle Okposo
David Booth
Dustin Byfuglien
Zach Bogosian
Nick Foligno
Nick Palmieri
RJ Umberger
Al Montoya

that would be the first wave that I would be super thrilled to have. That sets the tone for the rest of the selections, and allows the decision makers to take some time and wait for some early 1st round eliminations to add even more talent. You land a group like this, you will have plenty of takers willing to jump on board imo... Obviously this group is based off of teams out of the playoff race currently (if Toronto is out then put Kessel's butt on this list as well)

but this group has the size and skill that we rarely have at this event, and many names arent far fetched at all. Booth, Oshie, and Backes would be a lethal line... Umberger, Okposo, and Cole would be sick as well....just plenty of options there to mix and match.

again we always get our hopes up with all these "available" guys only to get the Ryan Carter, Erik Nystrom, and insert college kid here names that fill out the roster,,but this year should be a bit different with Versus televising it and no Olympic wear down either.

we will see very soon.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
What about Mark Fayne from NJ?

Solid D-man for the Devils this year, only 23 years old.

(Hopefully he will be a candidate for the 6th d-spot)

Can't see him being invited unless we get desperate

I really really like Mark Fayne, and would be happy if he was a 6th or 7th dman...but guys like Hillen and Brian Lee might take up those spots this year.

not sure what many of you think of Bobby Butler, but I would love to see that kid on this team...not in a top 3 role, but I would like to get this kid on some USA Teams because I think he has future sniper written all over him. Not sure what the AHL situation is for Ottawa, and if they would send Butler back down, but like Fayne, he is a young up and comer that I would be glad to see in favor of the Ryan Carter's of the world.

thoughts on Butler?

usahockey22flyers

Nov 9, 2009
Philly
I really really like Mark Fayne, and would be happy if he was a 6th or 7th dman...but guys like Hillen and Brian Lee might take up those spots this year.

not sure what many of you think of Bobby Butler, but I would love to see that kid on this team...not in a top 3 role, but I would like to get this kid on some USA Teams because I think he has future sniper written all over him. Not sure what the AHL situation is for Ottawa, and if they would send Butler back down, but like Fayne, he is a young up and comer that I would be glad to see in favor of the Ryan Carter's of the world.

thoughts on Butler?

I've been a big fan of Butler since his days at UNH, he's got a good shot and decent speed. I would like to see what he could do on these teams, he could defiantly be a consistent 25 goal guy in the NHL.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
lee? really? lee?

i can see hillen, but lee has been on the outs even in ottawa

you have seen our previous years rosters right??

not saying I want Lee, just saying it is probably the type of player we will get from our 5th and 6th dmen, just kind of preparing myself for the inevitable I guess.

afrobomber11

May 23, 2010
Flin Flon Manitoba
you have seen our previous years rosters right??

not saying I want Lee, just saying it is probably the type of player we will get from our 5th and 6th dmen, just kind of preparing myself for the inevitable I guess.

yes i have, still its scary that lee is being considered, he almost ended up in bingo

what about a guy like jake gardiner? as like a 7th dman.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
According to Pang's update on twitter, Shattenkirk playing for Team USA.

Panger40 Darren R Pang
Hockey Canada will have Alex Pietrangelo and Chris Stewart on WC roster while Kevin Shattenkirk will play for USA. Tourney in Slovakia.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
According to Pang's update on twitter, Shattenkirk playing for Team USA.

Panger40 Darren R Pang
Hockey Canada will have Alex Pietrangelo and Chris Stewart on WC roster while Kevin Shattenkirk will play for USA. Tourney in Slovakia.

Hopefully Backes and Oshie are right behind him.

Added him to the accept list.

usahockey22flyers

Nov 9, 2009
Philly
As a US fan I would love to see NYR miss the playoffs, they are full of Americans.

But if its between Buffalo and Carolina, who would give the US higher quality players?

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
As a US fan I would love to see NYR miss the playoffs, they are full of Americans.

But if its between Buffalo and Carolina, who would give the US higher quality players?

Buffalo - Ryan Miller, Tim Connolly (UFA), Jason Pominville, Nathan Gerbe (RFA), Paul Gaustad, Mike Grier (UFA), Jordan Leopold (injured), Drew Stafford (RFA), Mike Weber (RFA), Chris Butler (RFA), and Patrick Kaleta (injured).

Carolina - Erik Cole (UFA), Tim Gleason, Jamie McBain, Joe Corvo, Chad LaRose (UFA), and Pat Dwyer (UFA).

I can't imagine Miller would play though so that hurts the easy choice in Buffalo for the goalie reason. I'd prefer the potential Buffalo forwards but prefer the Carolina defenders. It really just depends on who we know is committed at the time either would be eliminated. If we need defenders at the time, we'd obviously prefer Carolina be knocked out. If we need forwards, we'd prefer Buffalo is out.

Either team would give us plenty of options although a lot of them are coming with hurdles. Obvious guys like Cole, Stafford, LaRose, Connolly, etc. are free agents. Given the frequency with which players turn this tournament down due to their contracts, right now I'd prefer the chance at Gleason, McBain, and Corvo.

Last edited:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad