WC: Roster Talk '11 – Sweden

Pentothal

Listen with one ear
Dec 30, 2008
It's not even close
and whys that... Edmonton has the right as does every NHL team to decide how to develop their players

Im all for players getting to play for their countries , but comments like your are just stupid and uncalled for

How is what I said stupid or uncalled for? It's quite simple really - I want the best Swedish players to play for our national team. It's only natural that I would prefer Swedes go to organisations that understands and respects the wishes of their players to represent their country. Honoring contracts.. things like this means nothing to me as a fan. I want to see a Swede who's out of the NHL playoffs to play in the WC's if he's good enough. There's been a gentlemans agreement in place to let players play at the WC's given that they are out of the playoffs. And if an NHL won't let them go because their AHL team needs a boost, well then I definitely not want to see more young Swedes go to that team. Simple.

Someone in here wrote something like "he has proven everything at the WC level". Bloody hell, the World Championships is not a developmental friendly tournament, it's taken seriously this side of the pond. And if you can't respect that maybe you're in the wrong thread.

Another reason why I would prefer young Swedes to avoid Edmonton is their questionable track record when it comes to player development. Once highly touted youngsters like Cogliano, Gagner and Brule are looking very ordinary at this point. Eberle and Hall had good rookie seasons and Pääjärvi did well at the end of the season, but I guess we'll have to wait and see how they their careers pan out.

Last edited:

Xelstyle

Jan 23, 2011
Chair and a Desk
Hopefully Backlund and Erixon make it

Backlund will be representing Sweden at the Worlds.

Henrik Karlsson and Brett Carson departed the premises at around 10 a.m., while Mikael Backlund stopped by to announce that he would be representing Sweden at the IIHF world championships in Slovakia from April 29 to May 15.

"They're really interested and I want to go," Backlund said. "I had to meet with Jay (Feaster) and the coaches first but they are really excited for me to go. I'm just waiting for them to call me now and let me know the dates.

"It'll be a lot of fun."

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/Flames+garbage+Live+blog/4595631/story.html#ixzz1JEjnBLKn

Erixon on the other hand, we'll have to see.

superhakan

Gaudreauby Baker
Dec 2, 2008
Erixon on the other hand, we'll have to see.

good to hear. He played real well in limited minutes this season, and even better down the stretch on the top line. Hope he tears it up.

Edit: The Backlund playing part, i guess the quote wasnt too helpful.

ItsTheBGB

Borusse!!
Aug 30, 2010
Edmonton, AB
How is what I said stupid or uncalled for? It's quite simple really - I want the best Swedish players to play for our national team. It's only natural that I would prefer Swedes go to organisations that understands and respects the wishes of their players to represent their country. Honoring contracts.. things like this means nothing to me as a fan. I want to see a Swede who's out of the NHL playoffs to play in the WC's if he's good enough. There's been a gentlemans agreement in place to let players play at the WC's given that they are out of the playoffs. And if an NHL won't let them go because their AHL team needs a boost, well then I definitely not want to see more young Swedes go to that team. Simple.

Someone in here wrote something like "he has proven everything at the WC level". Bloody hell, the World Championships is not a developmental friendly tournament, it's taken seriously this side of the pond. And if you can't respect that maybe you're in the wrong thread.

Another reason why I would prefer young Swedes to avoid Edmonton is their questionable track record when it comes to player development. Once highly touted youngsters like Cogliano, Gagner and Brule are looking very ordinary at this point. Eberle and Hall had good rookie seasons and Pääjärvi did well at the end of the season, but I guess we'll have to wait and see how they their careers pan out.

Brule wasn't our draft pick. But I will agree about Gagner and Cogliano, even though Cogs never had the hands in the first place.:(

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Any word on whether Wandell or Grossman will be getting invites?

Trying to get a feel for how well-represented the Stars will be.

(I'm assuming Loui's already mulling over his decision). ;)

Ekblad

Mar 10, 2010
Miami, Florida
Any word on whether Wandell or Grossman will be getting invites?

Trying to get a feel for how well-represented the Stars will be.

(I'm assuming Loui's already mulling over his decision). ;)

i read somewhere that grossman was still a little injuried and wasnt sure about participating, and wandell its just a matter of if he is good enough compared with the players on the roster

Leafed

Jan 28, 2009
As a Leaf fan, I hope Gustavsson makes it. I really think he can rebound with a chance.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Then Omark shouldn't have signed the contract he was given...plain and simple

how is that Cogliano and Gagner look normal yet Eberle, Hall and Paajarvi look good? maybe some of the blame has to come on the player

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Then Omark shouldn't have signed the contract he was given...plain and simple

So, what should he have done? He wants to play in NHL.

You're not getting it, from a european fan point of view AHL is meaningless competition and surely we are not happy about Oilers decision to not let Omark play at WC. What's so hard to understand?

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
AHL has no meaning for Omark, he's a NHL caliber player and shouldnt have to play in a farm leauge. For us in Sweden the worlds is much more important than some leauge in NA that even the americans themself doesnt care about, so why should we. Omark should have been allowed to play for his home country.

But no point in getting angry I suppose. I hope he do well in the AHL playoffs then.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
So, what should he have done? He wants to play in NHL.

You're not getting it, from a european fan point of view AHL is meaningless competition and surely we are not happy about Oilers decision to not let Omark play at WC. What's so hard to understand?

You're not getting it, he signed on not only with the Edmonton Oilers. Who dont care what swedish fans think. He is signed with the Oilers Organization (including the Barons and the Stockton Thunder).
Sometimes when your at a new to a gig, you need to pay your dues and put the company infront of yourself. This is an extremely important time for not only the Barons, but the Oilers organization. They need to provide a quality AHL product, as they haven't done it in years. They need to develop not only their players, but they're player development system. A winning AHL program will go along way.
I love Omarks honestly on and off the ice, he does what he does and says what he feels. The game needs more players like that. So I appreciate that he'll open up to reporters and tell them he would rather play for his country (who wouldnt). I sure he realizes that the Oilers arent keeping him in Oklahoma out of spite, he's going to be front and center in helping to build something significant.

Playoffs are just around the corner, Omark could be WC bound before long.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
You're not getting it, he signed on not only with the Edmonton Oilers. Who dont care what swedish fans think. He is signed with the Oilers Organization (including the Barons and the Stockton Thunder).
Sometimes when your at a new to a gig, you need to pay your dues and put the company infront of yourself. This is an extremely important time for not only the Barons, but the Oilers organization. They need to provide a quality AHL product, as they haven't done it in years. They need to develop not only their players, but they're player development system. A winning AHL program will go along way.
I love Omarks honestly on and off the ice, he does what he does and says what he feels. The game needs more players like that. So I appreciate that he'll open up to reporters and tell them he would rather play for his country (who wouldnt). I sure he realizes that the Oilers arent keeping him in Oklahoma out of spite, he's going to be front and center in helping to build something significant.

Playoffs are just around the corner, Omark could be WC bound before long.

Maan, I don't care about AHL. 99% of swedish people who follow hockey don't care about AHL. Heck, 99% of european people who follow hockey don't care about AHL.

Oilers can do what they want about Omark, since he signed the 2-way contract. I know that, I'm not dumb, and Pentothal is not dumb aswell. However what can I do with my reaction? I also think it's wrong to keep him in AHL instead of going to WC. And yes I'm a bit unhappy about that. Yes I'm a bit dissapointed in Oilers organization. I think everything is quite clear.

P.S. I don't have anything against your team, and I hope that AHL playoffs will help him to become a better player, but as a fan that values international competition I'm dissapointed that it's normal for an NHL organization to send Omark to secondary competition and not let him play for his country that put so much effort in his development.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Maan, I don't care about AHL. 99% of swedish people who follow hockey don't care about AHL. Heck, 99% of european people who follow hockey don't care about AHL.

Oilers can do what they want about Omark, since he signed the 2-way contract. I know that, I'm not dumb, and Pentothal is not dumb aswell. However what can I do with my reaction? I also think it's wrong to keep him in AHL instead of going to WC. And yes I'm a bit unhappy about that. Yes I'm a bit dissapointed in Oilers organization. I think everything is quite clear.

P.S. I don't have anything against your team, and I hope that AHL playoffs will help him to become a better player, but as a fan that values international competition I'm dissapointed that it's normal for an NHL organization to send Omark to secondary competition and not let him play for his country that put so much effort in his development.

Fair enough. I really dont expect European fans to care about the AHL, I could care less what happens in the allsvenskan outside of certain prospects.

I'm just saying that it would be mutually beneficial for Omark to help the organization as a whole be better. A winning program in the AHL will be benefit other players on the team who aren't on the level Omark is, which may lead to them being better NHL teammates with Linus in the future. Just something that he's probably considered.

OKC would have to make it pretty far into the playoffs to cross over with the Worlds. So here's hoping the Barons make it just far enough for him to do both.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->