WC: Roster Talk '11 – Sweden

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Karlsson is out for the rest of the regular season, anyone knows what the word is for the World Champs?

Anyway, interesting players off the top of my head who hasn't declined(that I know) and will/will likely be available are Berglund, Paajarvi, Steen, Eriksson, Wandell, Grossman, Gunnarsson, Enstrom, Oduya..

Pretty young group of good players there, hopefully at least a handful can come of those.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Anyway, interesting players off the top of my head who hasn't declined(that I know) and will/will likely be available are Berglund, Paajarvi, Steen, Eriksson, Wandell, Grossman, Gunnarsson, Enstrom, Oduya..

Pretty young group of good players there, hopefully at least a handful can come of those.

Sjostrom?

Other Little Mikey

Aug 31, 2005
Edmonton
I wish Edmonton would just stop drafting Swedes.

Relax. OKC isn't even a lock for the playoffs yet and if they lose in the first round there'd still be plenty of time for Omark to join the team if they want him.

The Oilers are legendary for encouraging their players to participate in the World Championships, you can't rag on them because one of their teams might actually make the playoffs for once.

Grabovski

Aug 12, 2009
Hamilton, Ontario
You guys think Gunner will make it? He played well last year and you guys won a Bronze if I recall. And he has played pretty good the second half of this season for the Leafs.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
You guys think Gunner will make it? He played well last year and you guys won a Bronze if I recall. And he has played pretty good the second half of this season for the Leafs.

Do I think he will? No. Do I think he could? Yes.

If Karlsson's injury requires some time, and Atlanta/Enstrom wants him to rest after some injuries these last few months, spots are opening up. We have Rundblad, Erixon, and Ekholm right now that I want to see make it(go young!). From NA, Enstrom and Karlsson are the first choices, and further we need 2 or 3 more. There are a bunch of players that could fit the bill like Gunnarsson, Grossman, Oduya to name a few, then the players playing the exhibition games right now and maybe Larsson.

Hard to say if the players at home are having any big advantages, feel free to speculate.

edit: Nothing that stands out about that roster really. From those forwards I'm expecting Persson, Lander, Andersson, Silfverberg and possibly Melin to have good shots at making it(Thornberg too, guess we'll see him in the Czech hockey games again), but we'll see by monday how many players we can get from overseas. Fasth looks good to take one of the goaltender spots.

Last edited:

Systemfel

<b><i>Hockey Talk by Country</b></i>
Jun 20, 2004
Gothenburg
Roster for the games against Slovakia:

11 Björn Melin
12 Sebastian Karlsson
14 Simon Hjalmarsson
17 Pontus Petterström
18 Jesper Fasth
19 Patrik Zackrisson
23 Niklas Persson
25 Nicklas Lasu
26 Patrick Cehlin
33 Jakob Silfverberg
41 Daniel Widing
51 Anton Lander
71 Jonas Andersson
91 Andreas Jämtin

2 Pierre Johnsson
3 Klas Dahlbeck
4 Mattias Ekholm
5 Daniel Fernholm
6 Stefan Johansson
15 Oscar Eklund
22 David Petrasek
24 Staffan Kronwall

30 Viktor Fasth
31 Anders Nilsson

http://www.swehockey.se/Startsidesnyheter/2011/April-2011/Tre-Kronor-till-Slovakien/

Broken Stix

Apr 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
OKC made the playoffs last night with a 2-0 win over the Texas Stars. I read in the Edmonton Journal today that the 5 players (including Omark) who will be going back to OKC for the run, will fly from Denver to OKC after the Oilers final game this afternoon. However in the article Omark came out and said he would rather go to the world championships. I would just like to hear from some Swedish fans on their thoughts on this matter. Why is it that Omark thinks he should be allowed to leave his paying job in North America to go and hang with his buddies from Sweden in a strictly Volunteer event?

afrobomber11

May 23, 2010
Flin Flon Manitoba
OKC made the playoffs last night with a 2-0 win over the Texas Stars. I read in the Edmonton Journal today that the 5 players (including Omark) who will be going back to OKC for the run, will fly from Denver to OKC after the Oilers final game this afternoon. However in the article Omark came out and said he would rather go to the world championships. I would just like to hear from some Swedish fans on their thoughts on this matter. Why is it that Omark thinks he should be allowed to leave his paying job in North America to go and hang with his buddies from Sweden in a strictly Volunteer event?

if you havent heard they dont pay you for playoffs, and if they did its also a pay cut being its the minors

clearly his pride for his country is great, but at the same token i think he has to do a bit more for his organization before hes able to play for the national team, it has to be on the back burner

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
and whys that... Edmonton has the right as does every NHL team to decide how to develop their players

Im all for players getting to play for their countries , but comments like your are just stupid and uncalled for

It is stupid and uncalled for when they send a player with 50 NHL games to AHL instead of playing in WC. At least from a european fan point of view.

afrobomber11

May 23, 2010
Flin Flon Manitoba
It is stupid and uncalled for when they send a player with 50 NHL games to AHL instead of playing in WC. At least from a european fan point of view.

if it wasnt for circumstance he would have been there all year, hes on the clear day roster he should play

you dont see the americans having a big hubaloo about butler playing in the ahl playoffs

Exalted User
Dec 14, 2010
Babylon
and whys that... Edmonton has the right as does every NHL team to decide how to develop their players

I just think we would appreciate it more if the oilers development program wasn't ogranized like a poorly run drug bussiness in the back of an ice cream truck. I think people generally think it's annoying when prospets they have followed for years just seem to hit brick walls and then dissapear. Like what happened to Nilsson(not that it wasn't somewhat self inflicted). Especially if it's a small country that don't spit out high end prospects like a machine. I understand if it might be hard to comprehend.

I'm not big on Omark. But if he and the other swedes including Nilsson woud have ended up elsewhere i think their future might have looked brighter then it is right now. I'm saying this knowing that they might all turn out great. This is just how i feel about it at the moment.

And with that said, no he shouldn't be allowed to go to the wc. He should honor his contract and do what the Oilers(despite what i expressed earlier) feel is best for him.

Other Little Mikey

Aug 31, 2005
Edmonton
I just think we would appreciate it more if the oilers development program wasn't ogranized like a poorly run drug bussiness in the back of an ice cream truck. I think people generally think it's annoying when prospets they have followed for years just seem to hit brick walls and then dissapear. Like what happened to Nilsson(not that it wasn't somewhat self inflicted). Especially if it's a small country that don't spit out high end prospects like a machine. I understand if it might be hard to comprehend.

I'm not big on Omark. But if he and the other swedes including Nilsson woud have ended up elsewhere i think their future might have looked brighter then it is right now. I'm saying this knowing that they might all turn out great. This is just how i feel about it at the moment.

And with that said, no he shouldn't be allowed to go to the wc. He should honor his contract and do what the Oilers(despite what i expressed earlier) feel is best for him.

'Kay, I'm sorry, due respect but this is a load of ****.

Paajarvi's the first high-profile Swede the Oilers have drafted in ... ever. You want to **** on someone for Nilsson, try the Isles, they had him first and saw no reason to hang onto him, when he was 22, not a kid.

I know you guys all love Omark but he was a fourth-round pick and he's 24, not a kid either. Listen, everyone (including North American media) thought Paajarvi would adjust the quickest out of the three rookies in Edmonton this year because he'd played against men already. That wasn't the case, you know why? Because the NHL is different from the way they play the game in Sweden. Every European player goes through an adjustment period and European fans (and players) have got to stop looking at it as some huge insult to go to the AHL for a while to learn the game. Most Canadian and American rookies understand it's part of the process, and the only reason you don't see more high Canadian draft picks in the AHL is because they come out of the CHL and aren't eligible to be sent down.

The Oilers already know Omark's a good player at the world championship with other Swedes and lots of room on the international-sized ice. They want to see how he does in the playoffs playing a North American style game, where everything's tighter and the hits are harder and he's gonna have a lot of big, strong players right up in his face all the time. It's not that unreasonable and shows they ARE trying to develop him into the best player possible.

Kayen

SLAPPAPPYSHEV
Apr 28, 2009
The North
Oilers fans defending themselves here... but i'll have to agree with the Swedes here, i think it's stupid that Oilers Management are screwing a guy out of playing for his country, just so he can help with an organizational farm team playoff push.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I'm sure he'll honor his contract just fine. He's just saying what any swede in the AHL would feel between the two. The AHL is stricly a middle-step for swedes, especially for a guy like Omark who has already played in the SEL, KHL, NHL and World Champs.

They will still give it their best down there, just that they will make no secret where they would rather be(whether it's NHL or National team).

Last edited:

Systemfel

<b><i>Hockey Talk by Country</b></i>
Jun 20, 2004
Gothenburg
Most Canadian and American rookies understand it's part of the process, and the only reason you don't see more high Canadian draft picks in the AHL is because they come out of the CHL and aren't eligible to be sent down.
Of course, that is part of their process. The AHL is a step up from the CHL and NCAA. I'm sure they're just loving it there. However, as Joe states, for a player coming from the SEL or KHL, it's really a step down.

Other Little Mikey

Aug 31, 2005
Edmonton
Oilers fans defending themselves here... but i'll have to agree with the Swedes here, i think it's stupid that Oilers Management are screwing a guy out of playing for his country, just so he can help with an organizational farm team playoff push.

It's not a playoff push, it's the playoffs, they've qualified. You know who else got sent down to help the AHL team after playing 60 games in the NHL? Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry. This whole thing could be moot anyway if the Barons lose in the first round, Omark would have plenty of time to join Team Sweden.

I'm sure he'll honor his contract just fine. He's just saying what any swede in the AHL would feel between the two. The AHL is stricly a middle-step for swedes, especially for a guy like Omark who has already played in the SEL, KHL, NHL and World Champs.

They will still give it their best down there, just that they will make no secret where they would rather be(whether it's NHL or National team).

And I have no problem with that. A player should always want to play at the highest level possible. But there's no conspiracy here and it's certainly not in the Oilers best interests to screw with a prospect or do a crappy job developing him. They want him to be the best NHL player possible, not the best KHL or World Championship player.

Other Little Mikey

Aug 31, 2005
Edmonton
Of course, that is part of their process. The AHL is a step up from the CHL and NCAA. I'm sure they're just loving it there. However, as Joe states, for a player coming from the SEL or KHL, it's a step down in league quality.

I'd disagree that it's a drastic step down when career AHLers and NHL fourth liners can do very well offensively in the KHL, but whatever, the point isn't the quality, it's the style of game. It's easier for a guy to learn different systems and how to play on smaller ice in the AHL than the NHL, especially if he plays for a team where wins and losses actually matter. (Admittedly, the Oilers weren't that kind of team this year.)

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
Oilers probably do what they think is right, and Omark is Edmonton property. They are not increasing their popularity in Sweden though with this move. From Oilers point of wiev it might seem like a good thing to do, but the swedish hockey federation will probably be slightly pissed off.

The only negative outcome for Oliers I could think off is that they will perhaps sell less merchandise in Sweden :P Theres also the offchance that Lander that really seem to like the national team, might take this as a sign that he better stay another year rather than end up in AHL.

Someone

Jul 11, 2007

Omark was up that much because of injuries. He played well at times to be sure, but he's still not even a lock for a roster spot next season on the team that finished last 2 straight seasons, let alone a long NHL career. I'm not trying to take anything away from the guy, as I am a fan, but come on. He still needs work to be a career 2nd liner in the NHL. The best place for him to do that is in a long playoff run in the AHL (which also suits the Oilers desire for OKC to win). If they get knocked out early, he can still make it for the WC.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Loui, Steen and Berglund as a first line please.. Then hopefully Omark will be available after all and make a good second line with Paajarvi and one more player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad