Roster Speculation thread - the season is almost upon us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Thanks for the tip, I wasn’t aware.

No reason to be sassy. Just seemed like a weird thing for you to say he is 22 and never played NA pro, which is true, but he dominated a league that is equivalent to the ahl, so it seems odd. I mean did you think Panarin should spend a month or two in the ahl?

I don’t personally think it will hurt Pilut to play in the ahl for a bit. But I also don’t see the harm in him playing on the third pair instead of blowyou or Tennyson or Nelson.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Injury replacement and for over flow when a team has too many young players for a strong roster.

As many will argue here regarding rushing Nylander, it’s not really a mass development league. A few teams don’t even have their own ahl team.
That's not true and aside from a one-year anomaly last year due to expansion, hasn't been true in quite a while.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Injury replacement and for over flow when a team has too many young players for a strong roster.

As many will argue here regarding rushing Nylander, it’s not really a mass development league. A few teams don’t even have their own ahl team.
The AHL has continued to become more and more a development league. It is absolutely not used for what you said it’s used for and Botterill absolutely doesn’t view it that way, especially when you listen to his actual words. Your last sentence isn’t even correct.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I don't think we can just send all of our trash vets to the AHL because of the vet limit.

And even if we could, I wouldn't be so optimistic that all our trash NHLer's would become AHL stars like Matt Moulson. Nor that bringing all the kids up would undoubtedly give us our Toronto Cinderella season.

I’ll defer to dot or sabrefan27 for the ahl rule on total vets allowed.

But it’s pretty absurd to say that you don’t think Larson, Girgs, Wilson etc, could not crush in the ahl like Molson. I mean objectively that’s ridiculous.

As to would it guarantee the kids would turn them around, sure who knows. But that’s oddly pessimistic from your general belief in positive thinking.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sabre the Win

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Think it has to happen since we don't have a real #2 center besides him.
The problem was that Botts engaged in what Thomas Sowell calls "stage one thinking". Stage one was that trade that I don't even have to mention which created a gigantic hole he felt would be filled by a 20 year old who had played a grand total of 6 pro games. He didn't consider stage 2: said 20 year old is in no way ready for that role. His lack of foresight has probably wrecked our season before it began and has at best put the team behind a gigantic 8 ball.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I am sure there is but we are not trying to single out specific players, we are talking about the teams as a whole.

Would our roster players who could be replaced by our kids make the Americans worse?

You talk about building a winning culture in Rochester because it will pay dividends in the future and I agree but why can't Beaulieu or Matt Tennyson play in the AHL and help build that winning culture in favor of Pilut being a mainstay on the Sabres blueline? I would argue Tennyson and Beaulieu will probably be heads and shoulders above most of the competition in the AHL and help lead the Americans to more wins thats why I asked if Moulson was a drag on his team or was he better for it.

Maybe there is more than one correct way to develop players and you’re all not wrong!

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
I’ll defer to dot or sabrefan26 for the ahl rule on total vets allowed.

But it’s pretty absurd to say that you don’t think Larson, Girgs, Wilson etc, could not crush in the ahl like Molson. I mean objectively that’s ridiculous.

As to would it guarantee the kids would turn them around, sure who knows. But that’s oddly pessimistic from your general belief in positive thinking.
The Amerks are already over the veteran limit. Adding 2 or 3 more from Buffalo would create a disastrous situation where multiple players would have to sit every night. It would be miserable for the players and the coaches. It’s not going to happen.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
The AHL has continued to become more and more a development league. It is absolutely not used for what you said it’s used for and Botterill absolutely doesn’t view it that way, especially when you listen to his actual words. Your last sentence isn’t even correct.

It isn’t, my last sentence? I’m looking at it right now that St. Louis and Vegas shared the Chicago Wolves, with Vegas taking full time affiliation this year.

Edit: I see the expansion shenanigan, my bad.

Multiple teams don’t own their ahl teams, but have affiliations that change from time to time.

I couldn’t be less interested in what a public figure says when he/she talks publicly.

And teams don’t bring injury replacements from their ahl team?

How many guys on any given team have real prospects that they expect to become nhlers develop in the ahl for a significant period of time? Serious question that I don’t know the answer to. It seems to me each year more and more guys who have a legit chance at the league spend a year or less in the minors.

Heck, looking thru Toronto as an example, a bunch of their young guys who played for the Marlins did so for partial seasons at most, particularly the highly touted prospects.

But hey I’d be happy to be wrong, if you have the time I look forward to your information.

Last edited:

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
The Amerks are already over the veteran limit. Adding 2 or 3 more from Buffalo would create a disastrous situation where multiple players would have to sit every night. It would be miserable for the players and the coaches. It’s not going to happen.
Management really f***ed up, preaching competition in camp and having the kids thinking they can make a spot only to be impeded by Matt Tennyson, Pomminville and Beaulieu to name a few because of vet roster limits in Rochester.

The way I see it Botterill is willing to throw away another season in the NHL while lying to the fans about this being the most competition in camp to date.

If management was smart they wouldn't have signed a single vet contract in the AHL and said, we are leaving these spots open in case the kids outplay the vets and earn a spot on the roster, that would be true competition in camp, the kids knowing full well that they have a real chance at a spot on the NHL roster and the vets have a real chance at being demoted and playing in Rochester.

Reactions: sabremike

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

What’s the exact cap? And who are the vets that we expect to stay down. I’m sorry I don’t know, but I always appreciate your updates and comment on the amerks.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
It isn’t, my last sentence? I’m looking at it right now that St. Louis and Vegas shared the Chicago Wolves, with Vegas taking full time affiliation this year.

Edit: I see the expansion shenanigan, my bad.

Multiple teams don’t own their ahl teams, but have affiliations that change from time to time.

I couldn’t be less interested in what a public figure says when he/she talks publicly.

And teams don’t bring injury replacements from their ahl team?

How many guys on any given team have real prospects that they expect to become nhlers develop in the ahl for a significant period of time? Serious question that I don’t know the answer to. It seems to me each year more and more guys who have a legit chance at the league spend a year or less in the minors.

Heck, looking thru Toronto as an example, a bunch of their young guys who played for the Marlins did so for partial seasons at most, particularly the highly touted prospects.

But hey I’d be happy to be wrong, if you have the time I look forward to your information.
Frankly, I have no idea what you’re talking about or what you’re getting at.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Management really ****ed up, preaching competition in camp and having the kids thinking they can make a spot only to be impeded by Matt Tennyson, Pomminville and Beaulieu to name a few because of vet roster limits in Rochester.

The way I see it Botterill is willing to throw away another season in the NHL while lying to the fans about this being the most competition in camp to date.

If management was smart they wouldn't have signed a single vet contract in the AHL and said, we are leaving these spots open in case the kids outplay the vets and earn a spot on the roster, that would be true competition in camp, the kids knowing full well that they have a real chance at a spot on the NHL roster and the vets have a real chance at being demoted and playing in Rochester.
I’ll be remembering these overreactions and overall absurd commentary from this board when inevitably someone whines that I criticized the Amerks for not playing well and attempt to get me to quiet down.

This isn’t a shot at you specifically, just how ridiculous and over the top the comments are. When I make pretty vanilla complaints about how the Amerks play or how they’re handled I basically get told to “know my place and quiet down”.

Reactions: Freeeeedom

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Frankly, I have no idea what you’re talking about or what you’re getting at.

Well outside of the agreed upon mistake of saying they don’t have a team, which was in artful, I meant owning a team solely, I was simply saying the league has gone much more toward top young players getting a shot into the league, rather developing for significant amount of times.

Perhaps it’s just a difference of what development means. I don’t look at a guy playing for 20-40 games as development, compared to years back in the day.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
After finishing last the previous year, was the 2018-19 Buffalo Sabres season likely to be anything of value? Maybe i'm off base, but the only way this season was ever going to amount to much was trading away futures.

More futures than a 3rd, 2nd, and Cliff Pu (even though I'm a fan of his game).

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I think Larsson and Girgs at least are shells of their former selves, through injury or development hiccups or discouraging losing seasons or whatever, and even their former selves were short lived. Not to say they couldn't surprise me... but Moulson still knew how to score goals. He just lost too many steps. Just enough steps to fit in at the AHL level I guess.

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
yeah screw being realistic with roster projections

Skinner-Eichel-Reinhart
Sheary-Mittlestat-Okposo
Nylander-Berglund-Thompson
girgenson-E-rod-sobotka
Wilson pominvile

Scandella-Risto
Dahlin-mccabe
pilut-nelson

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I think Larsson and Girgs at least are shells of their former selves, through injury or development hiccups or discouraging losing seasons or whatever, and even their former selves were short lived. Not to say they couldn't surprise me... but Moulson still knew how to score goals. He just lost too many steps. Just enough steps to fit in at the AHL level I guess.

Stagnating at the nhl level for becoming what you hope they will be, does not equate to not being good at the ahl.

Fedun has never lost a step, Redmond the same. Both are very good ahl players. Baptiste and Bailey have never had it at the nhl and both are good ahlers.

The difference overall between the two leagues is enormous. Sure Moulson has better finishing ability in his 20s than Girgs or Larson, but their skating ability more than makes up for it at that level.

I mean Larson was almost a ppg when he was in the ahl last. Wilson was over a ppg.

It’s not going to happen. But those guys would be great in the ahl. It’s why they get to play in the nhl now.

Reactions: Sabre the Win

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Management really ****ed up, preaching competition in camp and having the kids thinking they can make a spot only to be impeded by Matt Tennyson, Pomminville and Beaulieu to name a few because of vet roster limits in Rochester.

We knew Botts was willing to throw away a season to build around Dahlin when he traded away ROR. Even if you agree with the trade, it’s hard to frame it as anything but sacrificing the short term for the long term.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
yeah screw being realistic with roster projections

Skinner-Eichel-Reinhart
Sheary-Mittlestat-Okposo
Nylander-Berglund-Thompson
girgenson-E-rod-sobotka
Wilson pominvile

Scandella-Risto
Dahlin-mccabe
pilut-nelson

Well, if we're playing that game...

Sheary-Eichel-Mittelstadt
Skinner-Reinhart-Nylander
Girgensons-Berglund-Thompson
Wilson-Sobotka-Okposo
ERod

Scandella-Dahlin
Pilut-Ristolainen
McCabe-Borgen
Beaulieu, Bogosian

Waive Pominville. Larsson,

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Doing some random thinking. If I remember correctly NYR was planning on flipping Spooner after acquiring him last deadline. What do you think the cost is? He could be someone to slot in the 2C spot so Mitts can go to the AHL.

Thoughts?

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Doing some random thinking. If I remember correctly NYR was planning on flipping Spooner after acquiring him last deadline. What do you think the cost is? He could be someone to slot in the 2C spot so Mitts can go to the AHL.

Thoughts?
I think you can't accept that Berglund is our #2C. And frankly neither can I.

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
Well, if we're playing that game...

Sheary-Eichel-Mittelstadt
Skinner-Reinhart-Nylander
Girgensons-Berglund-Thompson
Wilson-Sobotka-Okposo
ERod

Scandella-Dahlin
Pilut-Ristolainen
McCabe-Borgen